1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Student of the Columbian Exchange
7,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Updated as the Monday night dinner has past.

This bike has been hanging in my garage for maybe 20 years. It should be in that Museum Of Mountain Bikes in Marin CA.
Trek made the 870 in 1985 & 1988 only. Made in the USA out of 4130 True Temper AT double butted chromoly and stuck together with investment cast lugs so you get that smooth ride inherent in steel lugged frames plus the geometry; a 73 degree seat tube and 72 degree head tube makes for pretty seamless two wheeling. You change out the tires to a smoother profile and you will think your pedaling your couch.

P1060405.JPG

This particular example was made in 1988, a 19" frame that should accommodate males 5' 7"-ish to 5' 10". Triple crank with a 7 speed cassette, friction thumb shifting and of particular interest to collectors of these things is the wonderfully quirky and transitionary rear brake mounted on the chain stay bridge.

P1060399.JPG

In the evolution of the mountain bike they tried a number of different twists on the existing technology, with this they learned a rim brake is still a rim brake regardless where you mount it on the frame. Whether or not this experiment added to stopping power the run silent run deep coolness factor of the brake placement makes this bike a stand out amongst your bike messenger pals.

P1060400.JPG

A lugged frame don't lie, particularly with the relaxed geometry found on this steel stallion.

P1060402.JPG

The dropouts are a little crusty but for a 32 year old the frame is in good solid condition and this kind of detail is easily remedied. Everything on the bike works, or worked when I hung it up in the garage...the tires held air when I filled them up this morning.

P1060401.JPG

I want $100 US cash money for this fine example of cycling history. And if your in town for the Shot Show and buy this bike I will throw in a WalMart Blue Plate Special gun case.

P1060413.JPG

Plano 48" and really cheap but in like new condition

P1060414.JPG

The bike is also listed on the Las Vegas Craigslist without the gun case bonus. No, I don't want to ship this to you, but if your coming to Vegas and want me to hold it for you I will.

Have a nice day and thank you for your time. PM me, or on the toll free number operators are standing by.

·
7,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
BUMP...SEE ADDITIONAL TAG ONS IN TEXT, THIS IS THE BEST BUY YOU'LL FIND IN VEGAS THE WEEK OF SHOT SHOW

·
7,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll take it isn't necessary, just PM me with how many for dinner!

·
7,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I forgot, this is a typical Turos Czusza, green salad on the side

turos-csusza-tepertovel.jpg

That under stay brake was a good way to faceplant into a tree when it got wet on the trails. Looks cool tho. Good luck with the sale.
Face plants are usually occasioned by inappropriate front brake usage, though you probably know more than I do, I'm a rookie.

·
7,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Into the ground, yes. You're correct.
Into a tree... off the trail... I always wanted both brakes and when the rear isn't doing it's job.
As to me knowing more than anyone, that's entirely unlikely. Especially about mountain biking. I'm afraid of bicycles.
What are you doing Monday night? We got room!

·
7,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will, unfortunately be stuck in NJ. The positive is I'll be with my wife. It's still NJ tho.
Well your always welcome. I went to school for two years in New Jersey, you got some beautiful country there. I also liked the people, real direct and no fukk around.

·
7,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I’m flying to Vegas for ConExpo.... will the airline check a bike?
You'll need to source a box....available at most bike shops for free...most airlines do though I suggest you check with whatever airline you winging in on.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
I’m flying to Vegas for ConExpo.... will the airline check a bike?
You could also just ship it back to yourself. When I moved from AK to the DMV area, I just mailed my bike to my new address instead of trying to travel with it.

Either way, you'll need to stop by the local bike store to get a box.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts