Tried a few JHPs

Discussion in 'Range Reports & Reviews' started by E39, Nov 20, 2011.

1. E39

E39 Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Oct 15, 2011
    My SA Loaded feeds ball ammo just peachy. Wanted to try a few rounds of hollow points since that's what I want for self defense.

First up was Winchester Bonded PDX1 230gr Personal Protection @ 35':

Winchester PDX1 JHP 230gr.jpg

Had a few feed problems with the first round of each mag of the Winchesters. Had only loaded 5 rounds into each mag.

Next was Magtech Guardian Gold +P 185gr @ 35' (two full 7-rnd mags):

Magtech Guardian Gold 185gr +P JHP.jpg

Finally Hornady FTX 185gr @ 35' (two full 7-rnd mags):

35' Hornady FTX HP 185gr.jpg

I did a 7-rnd mag with the Winchester and it fed fine. Winchester had the best group (if that's what you can call it). I think it was the Winchesters that produced a ball of flame from the muzzle. Not sure what that would do for night vision but it would be scary as hell looking at it from the wrong end! I'd like to try a few more brands (Speer GoldDot and ASYM Solid Defense X) before I settle on my carry load.

BTW - being new, I have no idea if I'm wasting space here or if anyone finds anything useful from this type of range report.

2. Sir Guy

Sir Guy Sharpening Ockham's Razor Supporting Addict

Aug 20, 2011
    Not wasting space at all. I daresay the idea is to get as much good information in one place as we can.

Gold Dot and ASYM's Barnes load are both pretty good quality. Gold Dot has a proven reputation, and is a nice bonded round. Better results have been reported with the 230 grain load than the 200 grain +P.

By the way, if your gun likes the Winchester, check out the Ranger Bonded load; it's the same thing, but in cop boxes of fifty (50) rounds. It's a proven performer.

Andy

3. BlackDog

BlackDog New Member

Jan 26, 2012
    Hornady makes a great polymer tipped round that is very smooth reliable feed up the ramp. Reliability = good = home defense!

4. limbkiller

limbkiller Pulling my hair. Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    You aren't wasting space as we all like to hear how a gun works with different ammo. Loved the comment about flames.

5. Spokes

Spokes Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Sep 18, 2011
    Good report. Thanks for taking the time to present this to 1911 Addicts.
    I for one appreciate it.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted