Trigger & Grips Questions

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by BCD 45, May 7, 2019.

1. BCD 45

BCD 45 Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2019
    I've always thought of myself as having just average large hands, My fingers are long but not huge in diameter. When I pick up a 1911 with thin/slim grips like a NH Krestel or a DW ECP,
    my trigger finger of my right hand pretty much lands at my 2nd finger joint. This is strange to me just getting into 1911's after shooting double stacked guns so long. Where does a 1911 trigger hit most trigger fingers, the 1st joint?

Which brings me to the question of 1911 trigger lengths. How much difference is there in a short trigger and a long trigger? Is a flat trigger longer than a curved trigger set at the same length? And finally, how much trigger length do you gain or lose by using standard thickness grips, (about .240 thick), vs. using thin or slim grips.

I guess I'm just going to have to learn to shoot a 1911 with more of my finger on the trigger. At least my trigger finger being pinched is over. Thanks all you guys & gals.

Jim D

2. HOTCHKIS

HOTCHKIS NRA Life Member

Apr 21, 2013
    I use the middle of my pad in between the tip and first crease. I'll use the first crease if shooting a revolver or a Kahr pistol.

stlgecko and duketbrd88 like this.

3. Ethanol Red

Ethanol Red Make it a double Supporting Addict

Jul 12, 2015
    You'll just have to handle and shoot a few varieties to get the feel. On a standard 1911 my finger is way out there to use that technique. If you can shoot well with an unorthodox grip then go for it I say. I like longer triggers myself. My trigger finger is about 5" long. To complicate things, different makes have a different feel. I think the 1911 trigger is pretty forgiving of finger placement, much more so than a Glock for instance. Best of luck!

4. tac45

tac45 What me worry ? Supporting Addict

Mar 4, 2012
    @BCD 45 , You are not alone !
    No longer worry or be concerned, no changes or adjustments to your 1911 are required !
    The geniuses at TTTS (@Kip &tac ) have the answer for you .
    On page 8466291a of your TTT gunsmithing catalog,find the new and advanced :
    FINGER FITTER kit
    You ask what do you get :
    1. Calibrated measuring device mk 12

8D519A2B-5F4C-4849-8BD9-AA1E33C22854.jpeg

2. The world renowned FINGER FITTER. !

E08A2738-DC4E-468D-905C-62C5EFF8AEFD.jpeg
    Send CASH

5. AJP

AJP Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2017
    It sounds like you have too much finger for the mini 1911's. I think regular grips with the long trigger will work best for you. Maybe even better would be a Les Baer due to the slightly oversized frame and thicker front strap. Plenty of big handed gents are shooting 1911's without issue, so don't throw in the towel yet.

6. RIS

RIS Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2019
    Soundwave likes this.
  7. BCD 45

BCD 45 Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2019
    Thank you guys. I also believe that I need a long trigger and standard grips. What is the measurement difference in a long and short trigger and are flat triggers longer?
    Tac45,
    I've got my finger marked. Are you sure regular scissors will do it?

Jim D

8. tac45

tac45 What me worry ? Supporting Addict

Mar 4, 2012
    Now that you mention it, the MK 13
    Seams a better choice :

2693FDEB-5A9D-4E05-BA83-D15F216BB29E.jpeg
    Send extra cash. !!!!!!!!

9. Tarpon Hunter

Tarpon Hunter Well-Known Member

May 29, 2018
    Try wider grips. I have 3 Springfield RO Elites that came with the very thin grips. They were gone that day. I've never been thrilled with standard width grips either and have tried to find wider ones.
    Just last week I found on on Ebay a whole selection of acrylic with exotic wood inlaid. The set I got was thicker than the others I have plus I put spacers behind them. Now it's really wide and gives me the best grip of the bunch. It also changed my trigger finger's point of contact more towards the tip. I'm buying more.

[​IMG]

10. 605atthe wheels

605atthe wheels In the staging lanes Supporting Addict

Oct 19, 2012
    This may help (or not). I have a 2XL hand/glove size. Some gloves I need 3xl. (sausage fingers I believe is the term) I have normal length fingers, but large/thick palms. In my 1911's I put thick grips & fullsize (long) Chambers flat triggers, 1 gun has a fullsize 10-8 flatty. I have 1 short flatty on my ECO 9mm, I tried it for shats & giggles & will change it back to a Chambers fullsize Flatty. The 1st pad of my trigger finger sits perfectly on the trigger face surface of all but the ECO. YMMV

My dbl stacks CenTac/Legion P226 SAO/EDCX9(large back strap), fit with stock grips & triggers. (IE.1st pad)

George

Last edited: May 7, 2019
  11. zChambers

zChambers ........... Supporting Addict

Jan 21, 2015
    I don't know if trigger sizes are standardized across manufacturers. They might be but quite frankly I've never paid enough attention to actually notice a pattern of similar sizes.

Manufacturers should list (or at least be able to tell you) the length of their triggers. Curved triggers are measured from the center of the curve radius to the frame. flat triggers are also measured to the frame.

If you do end up switching triggers, I would be interested to know if it makes a significant difference in your shooting.

Soundwave likes this.
  12. Joni Lynn

Joni Lynn Professional Pest, NRA Patron member

Dec 21, 2014
    I would suggest getting the trigger shape/length and grips that allow you to best pull the trigger straight back so as to not push or pull left or right. Best wishes.

2sharp2 and 1911fanatic like this.
  13. 1911fanatic

1911fanatic Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2011
    I have large/xl glove size hands. I would consider my fingers to be long (proportional) to my hands. My fingers are slender? Not girl slender, but not sausage fingers. That said, standard grips and long trigger for me. That is what feels the best. But just because a certain combo feels the best, doesn’t mean it will make you shoot better. I have to consciously keep the pad of my finger on the trigger face.

If I can wrap my finger around the trigger to just past my first knuckle. Kinda like hikock 45.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted