1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a way to be safe with my newly-acquired Springfield RO (thread here: https://www.1911addicts.com/threads/first-gun-sa-ro.33958/). I also want quick access as this gun is primarily for protection. It seems to me a trigger lock would offer the quickest access whilst remaining safe. These type seem the fastest access: https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/pro...352009286.do?sortby=ourPicks&refType=&from=fn, but I can foresee in a moment of stress getting that damn little key into its slot being problematic, is there anything quicker? like maybe a fingerprint reading lock, or something neat like that?

What say you all?

·
Registered
5,246 Posts
I do not lock up my bedside gun.

When the kids were small, I left the chamber empty as they were not strong enough to jack the slide. By the time they were old enough to jack the slide, I had taught them firearm safety and taken them to the range to shoot. This gave them respect for firearms and they knew guns were not toys. And at that point went back to condition 1.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
I understand locking it up if you have kids, I don't really know anything about kids, but I NEVER lock up my bedside weapon. I do not want to fumble around trying to unlock something when some one is breaking in

·
Si vis pacem, para bellum
2,354 Posts
I agree with Oldag. A bedside gun should not be locked. When you are in bed and sleeping it should be ready to go if the need arises. When you are not around it, and if you have kids, it should be put up, locked up, or whatever you deem as safe.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I began gun safety with my daughter before I began research into what I want as a first gun. At that point, I was basically parroting the basic rules as I was also beginning my own education. Fast forward to the actual acquisition, I do not believe the distance between theory and actuality has ever been as wide as gun ownership theoretical, and gun ownership actual. The full weight of the responsibility began to come down on me as I drove home from the gun show. I fully agree that education is the best safety mechanism, and once home my daughter and I had a nice long conversation (well, long for an 8-year old). And that conversation continues, as well as some basic handling.

At this point, my daughter is not able to pull the slide back, so that is a safety mechanism in itself. But I cannot educate everyone who enters my home. When appropriate, I do tell people there is a gun in the house. All that said, it seems there is a good safe common ground between cocked and locked, and in a safe unloaded.

Also, I seem to recall at some point reading that most gun accidents happen transporting it from one place to another. Any comments on that?

·
Shooter Ready.....Stand By!
1,536 Posts
This is what you are looking for:

http://www.hornady.com/store/rapid-safe-accessories

Accidents happen because of careless gun handling.......always know the condition of your firearm...always!!!

I have 2 small children and my bedside gun has an empty chamber but I keep it in a holster so you can't just reach in and grab the trigger....when they are big enough to be left at home by themselves, there will be no loaded guns available to them.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am nearly convinced that a safe with biometrics in combination with RFID and/or a backup manual key entry is the way to go. Leaning toward the Gunbox 2.0, though the two major drawbacks are price and no key backup.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I agree with the above. A quick access safe is what I use.

I grew up in a home where guns were always "up" but accessible. Never in the chamber but loaded.

Although we were taught safety and we actually never broke those rules when alone. I, myself, can't allow myself to do the same.

All guns are unloaded and away from ammo.

My carry gun and home defense gun are in a Hornady Rapid safe. 2700KP

Has worked quickly and 100%.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
422 Posts
Well...that's a good question.

I only own 4.25". Later tonight I will put the muzzle all the way back and take a pic. I think it would be very close.

·
Registered
422 Posts
This is with the commander length barrel just shy of touching the rear hinge. I think a 5" gun would be a very tight fit for daily use. I dunno.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts