close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Trigger Swap/Grip Safety Malfunction

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by 3rdgen40, Sep 5, 2011.

1. 3rdgen40

3rdgen40 New Member

Sep 2, 2011
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Got bored today,so i decided to drop a Wilson three hole trigger into my new Citadel.It seemed to fit fine.I dry fired it a couple times.Then, I did a safety check.The thumb safety worked fine.Then I tried the grip safety.The hammer dropped without touching the grip safety.I checked to make sure everything was installed correctly,which it was.Switched back to the factory trigger, grip safety functioned perfectly.
    Any ideas ?

2. Quack

Quack it's mmm, mmm good... Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    you need to file the front of the grip safety arm so it swings down to block the trigger bow.
    The Wilson trigger bow might be a little longer than the factory trigger bow.

3. Quack

Aug 15, 2011
    here's a good cut away to see how the safeties work.

[​IMG]

4. 3rdgen40

3rdgen40 New Member

Sep 2, 2011
  5. Quack

Aug 15, 2011
    if the Wilson trigger had the tabs by the trigger shoe, you might be able to ad a little more pre-travel and that might get the grip safety to work.

6. 3rdgen40

3rdgen40 New Member

Sep 2, 2011
    Well, I am still tinkering with this trigger.I finally got out the ol' digital micrometer and took some measurements.I found that the rear of the trigger bow on the Wilson is a few thousandths of an inch shorter(top to bottom) than the factory trigger bow.The grip safety barely engages the factory trigger bow.So, that fraction of an inch difference in size is enough to cause the grip safety to not engage with the Wilson trigger bow.So....I am going to order a Wilson grip safety and some other parts I want to upgrade.
    Thoughts/advice?

7. Quack

Aug 15, 2011
    you could peen the GS arm and lengthen it a little to engage the trigger bow.

8. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Schütze

Aug 17, 2011
    Or just add a little metal and the work it down until it fits properly.. Ron

9. 3rdgen40

3rdgen40 New Member

Sep 2, 2011
    I will give that a try first.Just need to find my ball pein hammer now.

10. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    Need a welder or simply replace the GS.

I would prefer that is possible. If not peening is the only solution.

11. 50GI-Jess

50GI-Jess Member

Aug 24, 2011
    The hammer shouldn't touch the grip safety in the first place when activated. The GS's only job is to block trigger movement when disengaged. Other than peening or welding, there's 2 other things you can try !
    Put the trigger pad in a vice, and gently bend the trigger bow slightly upwards, depending on how much free play you have in the frames trigger track. Another trick is to file a little material away from the outside of the lower split tail area of the GS, which will give it a little more outswing.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted