1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I use both an older RCBS trigger pull weight gauge in addition to an older model Lyman digital gauge. They both seem to be functioning fine however the RCBS gauge always measures 3/4 of a pound less than the Lyman. Does the Lyman need some type of calibration since it is digital?

Thanks

·
Turgid member
524 Posts
Do you have some known weights you can use to check calibration?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you have some known weights you can use to check calibration?
Great idea and I should have thought of that! I lift weights and had a 2 1/2 pound weight that I tried with both gauges. The manual RCBS gauge was consistently 4 ounces heavy and the Lyman digital was 8 ounces heavy. Thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks and good idea to verify the actual weight of my 2 1/2 pound plate. I have a set of digital postal scales and weighed the plate yesterday - weighed 2 pounds, 8.9 ounces. Thanks for the replies!

·
Registered
194 Posts
I use two gauges....an RCBS older mechanical gauge and an old ignition contact point tension gauge. I hook the two together and pull lightly, observing both gauges through the pull range. They both indicate the same value so I deem them both good. Or equally uncalibrated! But they are consistent.

The best pull gauge is the NRA weight types. Before I obtained a gauge, I used an improvised one years back. A rag as a bullet catch, made a hook out of welding rod and hooked it through each corner of the shop rag. Bullets were placed into the rag until the trigger tripped. I then cocked the pistol three times with the hook and weighted rag to verify correct technique.

I weighed ten bullets, derived an average and used that value for each bullet to calculate the weight. I counted the bullets in the rag, multiplied times the average weight and converted to pounds. OR....to obtain a specific pulled weight I counted out the number of bullets needed to obtain a specific weight and adjust the sear and disco springs accordingly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts