TRP Champion going to Springfield... Help with useful mods

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by dgi, Feb 14, 2012.

1. dgi

dgi NRA Life Member

Sep 10, 2011
    I bought a used Champion TRP last year and its been sitting since... havent had a chance to shoot it but from dry firing it, the trigger doesnt feel like any of my other springers... alot granier and notchy...

I figure its time to send it in and have them go over it and maybe do some worthwhile mods while its there....

Im not sure what older springers need to bring them upto snuff with the newer TRPs so any tips would be appreciated.

So far im looking for:

Trigger job
    change sights to gold dot front, ledge style rear (any manufacturers recommended over others?

What would it take to make this pistol feel and shoot like my custom carry compact?

2. polizei1

polizei1 It WAS Quack

Aug 18, 2011
    I would change out the springs, do a new trigger, and new sights as you mentioned.

Personally, I would do a Harrison trigger and rear sight, but 10-8 is also very popular, along with Novak's, Heine, etc. There are plenty to choose from, but it's a personal decision.

3. Sir Guy

Sir Guy Sharpening Ockham's Razor Supporting Addict

Aug 20, 2011
    Others will chime in who have more experience with this particular question, but I'll throw in a thought or two.

As you know, the TRP Champions aren't very common, and some will probably argue with you about that part alone regarding tweaking it from its factory specifications!

As far as ledge-style rear sights, the 10-8 is a solid choice, if you're a fan of a U-notch rear. (That is, it's a rounded semi-circle rear sight notch, as opposed to a traditional square notch.) The Heinie is a good choice if you want the traditional rear sight notch. They're comparable in quality.

Really, though, your best bet's probably just to call Deb at Springfield's Custom Shop. She or someone else will be able to walk you through what they'd recommend to take care of your issues. I've always experienced great customer service with them. :thumb:

Looking forward to hearing more about how this project goes.

Andy

4. knedrgr

knedrgr Low capacity, low tech...

Aug 15, 2011
    Here's Quack's

TRP Champion. This was made for only a few years from about 1998-2000 or so.
    [​IMG]

5. knedrgr

knedrgr Low capacity, low tech...

Aug 15, 2011
    Order another CCC...:lol:

6. Quack

Quack it's mmm, mmm good... Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    10-8 flat trigger, 10-8 rear sight, Ed Brown single sided safety, EB 19# mainspring, Colt sear spring.

mine originally had silver controls, so i swapped them out for black parts.
    Wilson grip safety, EB slide stop, EB extractor, EB mag release, NH MSH, Caspian hammer, EB Sear

7. dgi

dgi NRA Life Member

Sep 10, 2011
    I dont want to change anything that cant be changed back... i was originally thinking about bobtailing it and doing an extreme carry bevel but i reconsidered given the rarity of the gun...

Now wouldnt mind doing internal modifications such as adjusting the frame to slide fit, etc... if it'll make the gun run better/smoother im all for it.

Would performance modifications (that are irreversable but not exactly visibly) really take away from the "originality" of the gun in terms of resale value (not that im worried about it).

8. Quack

Quack it's mmm, mmm good... Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    i'm wearing mine today...here's a newer photo.

[​IMG]

9. Glock2740

Glock2740 1911 addict Staff Member Moderator

Aug 16, 2011
    Congrats on a very cool gun. :thumb: I wish I could find one for a good deal. I'd buy it in a heartbeat. :nod:

10. Glock2740

Glock2740 1911 addict Staff Member Moderator

Aug 16, 2011
    That is slicker than owl doodee. :biggrin1:

11. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    +1,........it kills me every time I see it!
    Can't wait to get mine back from Chuck,...........:nod:

12. TexShooter

TexShooter Member

Aug 19, 2011
    I prefer the 10-8 to the Harrison rear sight (check the gear section I started a thread a while back with some detailed photos of the differences). For a front sight i'd go with either a gold bead or a white outline tritium.

Action job sounds like an obvious fix on yours. Maybe go with the tool steel components, it's extra money but they feel amazing, last longer, and allow you to get your trigger pull below the 4# they recommend for their standard components.

Doubt you'd need much else on it though.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted