1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1911s for GOD and Country
2,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently carry my Nighthawk Falcon for EDC but honestly, im terrified if i ever have to use it, itll get confiscated and ill never see it again. So thinking of picking up a lower end 1911 for carry. Specifically a Springfield TRP, from the reviews ive found online the vast majority of folks really like them and its pretty affordable. Anyone carrying one? Issues?

·
Premium Member
1911s for GOD and Country
2,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you’re ever involved in a self defense shooting the gun is probably the last thing you’ll be worrying about. That being said the TRP will serve you fine. Get thrv10mm...
While not getting into details.....it wouldnt be my first experience....

·
Premium Member
3,927 Posts
I have a rep operator that doesn’t get carried much but has seen thousands of flawless rounds and is extremely accurate (for a production gun). The only issue with carry is that the 20 LPI is very sharp and seems to catch clothing easier than others. I will be installing a SI magwell on mine shortly so that should alleviate some of that concern.

At the prices I have seen them at on here lately I am even tempted to buy another, I say go for it

·
Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!
7,829 Posts
I've had a few TRPs, great guns, wouldn't have an issue carrying one. That said, if anything happens to your NH they can make you another one. The only handguns I own that I don't carry are the ones that can't be replaced.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I really enjoy Springfields TRP models, so much so that I've purchased multiple.
I bet it'll serve you very well, and still retain some of the fit & finish you're accustomed to, and not break the bank.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Carry what you shoot best. I remember feeling like that when I started getting into high end 1911’s. Then I said there is no price that can replace my wife and kids or a loved one. If it gets tossed into an evidence locker I’ll be there to pick it up.

I mean George Zimmerman got his back relatively quick.

Yea a falcon is a couple grand. I’d spend the money that you were spending on the trp and continue to train with the falcon.

I started out in the 1911 game before this damn sight carrying a SW E Series Scandium Commander. Now I either carry a SACS Custom Carry 10mm or a Springfield built by Lou at BEC.

The TRP is a great fun, but if you already have the Falcon down to a science I wouldn’t change it. I only change the caliber depending on where I go. If I go hiking into the woods and sleeping over night I take the 10mm with Underwood ammo.

I have glocks and sigs, shoot them perfectly fine but the ergonomics of the 1911 fits my hand the best. Either gun will be a fine choice. I’ve been looking to put some of the hidden gun money into different classes offered at Sig as its 10 minutes away from my residence.

Having a nice gun and not shooting it and carrying it is like having a smoke show wife/gf and not banging/going out with her her saving her for the next guy.

Either gun will be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I’ve been carrying a TRP Operator in .45 with a Streamlight TLR-1 HL for more than 2 years and have had no issues. With the right belt and holster, the weight is easily managed. Will say though that the Armory Kote isn’t necessary the hardest wearing coating - noticeable wear on the left side where it rubs against my clothing. It’s cosmetic and doesn’t impact function, but worth noting if those things bother you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
421 Posts
The TRP is a good 1911, but no different or better than any other MIM laden, production 1911 in the $500 to $1200 price range. I have one and it sits solidly in my 1911 carry rotation.

Gun Firearm Trigger Gun accessory Black

·
Turgid member
674 Posts
If you want a TRP, get one. No excuses.
Your justification, IMO, is flawed. Your odds of having to use a gun in self defense it are very slim.

SA does (did?) some hand work on the TRP the other production don't receive. On my 4 Year old TRP the important stuff was good and some file and stone work on some of the small bits make it run quite well.
As smooth as your Nighthawk? No, but pretty close to the few I've handled.

Reactions: Dub

·
Registered
468 Posts
May God forbid I ever get into a situation where I need to use deadly force to defend myself or my wife, I don't give a sh*t if it gets tossed into evidence. My primary goal is for myself, my wife, and family to survive and hope I am up to the challenge to make that happen. Take my gun, I have others. I think more about the legal battle that will follow.

That being said, carry and train with what you shoot best. My carry gun for the longest time (years) was a Wilson CQB. Living with that gun for a few years, there were things i wanted on a carry gun that won't break the bank and the TRP fit that bill... ambi safety for support hand shooting, proper accuracy out to 25 yds and further, drive the dot sight picture (got that when I added a 10-8 rear sight, mag chute, aggressive texturing, aggressive grips, painted finish to be rust resistant, reliable and good trigger (not all necessarily in that order). I firmly believe I got a Wednesday gun. Has a similar lock-up to the Professional I have. You could certainly do worse. You have my support!

·
I do not consent.
1,427 Posts
I’ve heard a number of opinions on this, and had a few people offer me their unsolicited opinion that carrying a ($1000, $2000, $3000, whatever) 1911 is just dumb, and they carry a $500 GLOCK so they can throw it on the parking lot when the police show up. I’ve even heard people who really should know better say stuff like this.

If a gun is “irreplaceable” for some reason - be it rarity or economics or some other reason - then it’s certainly worth considering whether you want to risk losing it in any circumstance. Like anything else you can’t replace.

But, economically, buying a gun just because you don’t want to carry a more expensive gun (which you already own) is like buying an insurance policy - you’re spending today against the possibility of greater spending in the future.

I’m just ballparking prices here so just go along but it seems to me that your looking at spending ~$1,500 today against the *possibility* of spending ~$3500 in the future. That’s a fairly expensive insurance policy.

Because, if the worst happens and you actually do lose the TRP, you’re still out the $1,500 plus another $1,500 to replace it vs ~$3500 to replace the Falcon you already have. If the prices are $1000/$4000 the economics are more favorable, but not really that much.

There are, of course, many other variables in (and reasons for) buying a gun. Maybe you just want a new TRP. And I agree the loss of a gun is usually a lesser concern in a self-defense event. But in response to the original, stated reasoning this is how I think about it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.