1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my TRP operator .45 and Canik Rival dark 9mm to the range today.

TRP Operator Full Rail:
Was a little worried out of the box that the 20 LPI frontstrap checkering would cause problems, but was happy to find it just helped reduce muzzle flip. This is one of the softest shooting 1911s in .45 acp I’ve ever owned, likely due to the full rail and bull barrel. Functioned flawlessly with FMJ range ammo. I did have a local gunsmith lower the trigger weight on this one. Was a very clean 5.5 lbs out of the box but now it’s sits closer to 3 lbs. I may be pulling a bit left or it could be the rear sights, which are adjustable.

Canik Rival Darkside
Hard to put into words how good the trigger is on the rival series out of the box. You could spend hundreds of dollars on a Glock trigger and still not achieve the break and reset on this (can say from experience). Very nice fiber front sight made it easy at ten yards. Tend to shoot this a bit low. I will probably be getting an optic for it soon. I’m very pleased that all of the optic plates are included. The only thing that could use some attention is the grips. I’ll probably get some talon pro grips to put on it. The traction isn’t terrible it’s just not great. May also get the LOK brass backstrap to add 4-5 oz and improve the grip. Overall a great shooter. Rival pic is a stock image since I haven’t taken any pics yet.

10 yards: Top is TRP and bottom is rival. 2 mags each after firing a few magazines for practice through both.
Wood Air gun Trigger Grey Gun barrel

Rectangle Precision sports Recreation Circle Pattern

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Office equipment Gun accessory

· Registered
2,809 Posts
My Darkside blew me away with the trigger pull and unbelievable reset. I shot it for the first time at the first IDPA match that I’d shot since before Covid started, then shot it in a high round-count Threat-Focused Pisrol course a few weeks later.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I placed second overall; at the first match I’d shot in over three years, with a brand new pistol. 😁

I had Jim at Panther Concealment make me an OWB for it, as the included holster would occasionally not release the gun. I’ve since corrected that myself, but the Panther is a much nicer/better holster.

These are my pics:

Trigger Wood Air gun Gun barrel Gun accessory

Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory

Wood Trigger Water Gun barrel Shotgun

Wood Gesture Finger Glove Personal protective equipment

Glove Safety glove Wood Personal protective equipment Tints and shades

· Registered
1 Posts
Took my TRP operator .45 and Canik Rival dark 9mm to the range today.

TRP Operator Full Rail:
Was a little worried out of the box that the 20 LPI frontstrap checkering would cause problems, but was happy to find it just helped reduce muzzle flip. This is one of the softest shooting 1911s in .45 acp I’ve ever owned, likely due to the full rail and bull barrel. Functioned flawlessly with FMJ range ammo. I did have a local gunsmith lower the trigger weight on this one. Was a very clean 5.5 lbs out of the box but now it’s sits closer to 3 lbs. I may be pulling a bit left or it could be the rear sights, which are adjustable.

Canik Rival Darkside
Hard to put into words how good the trigger is on the rival series out of the box. You could spend hundreds of dollars on a Glock trigger and still not achieve the break and reset on this (can say from experience). Very nice fiber front sight made it easy at ten yards. Tend to shoot this a bit low. I will probably be getting an optic for it soon. I’m very pleased that all of the optic plates are included. The only thing that could use some attention is the grips. I’ll probably get some talon pro grips to put on it. The traction isn’t terrible it’s just not great. May also get the LOK brass backstrap to add 4-5 oz and improve the grip. Overall a great shooter. Rival pic is a stock image since I haven’t taken any pics yet.

10 yards: Top is TRP and bottom is rival. 2 mags each after firing a few magazines for practice through both. View attachment 1174541
View attachment 1174540
View attachment 1174539
I just got mine back yesterday. They dropped in a tooless guide rod, resprung the gun, worked on the trigger, cerakoted it to satin black, and crowned the barrel flush to the slide - see pix.

btw - same model gun as original post

Audio equipment Gadget Camera accessory Auto part Automotive exterior

Blade Hunting knife Knife Metal Close-up

America's Gunsmith Shop - Burlington Wisconsin.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts