TRP or Trojan

Discussion in 'Beginner's Corner' started by celtic, Feb 13, 2012.

1. celtic

celtic New Member

Feb 13, 2012
    Hello all, newcomer to the 1911 world here, and trying to decide between a TRP and a STI Trojan for my first 1911.

Question is, will I be able to appreciate the disparity in quality between the two, enough to justify the $400 difference?

At gtdist.com I can get the TRP for 1400 or the Trojan for 1000.

Thanks for any help!

2. Trent

Trent Site Founder Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    The TRP is the better gun. That being said, there is no way I would pay $1,400.00 for one. To me they are worth $1,000.00, $1,100.00 tops!

3. Quack

Quack it's mmm, mmm good... Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    what are you going to use it for?

the TRP has a forged frame and fixed sights, but has mim parts.

the Trojan has a cast frame and adjustable sights, but tool steel hammer/sear/disconnector.

4. celtic

celtic New Member

Feb 13, 2012
    at this point i'm looking at strictly for range use, but if i catch the bug then i'm sure i'll be carrying a 1911 in place of my polymer lineup come summertime. Probably have to buy a commander or shorter to fit that niche

5. Quack

Quack it's mmm, mmm good... Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    I'd say get the Trojan.

6. 20South

20South Active Member

Aug 19, 2011
    I have a TRP, and I would still say get the Trojan. Not because there is anything wrong with my TRP, I just don't believe you will find $400 worth of extra value in the TRP for your intended use.

7. BHP9

BHP9 Active Member

Dec 11, 2011
    5 years ago when I was looking for a 1911 in 40S&W, everything pointed to the Trojan which I bought.

No regrets on that so a year ago I got another in 45ACP.

Now everyone says I need one in 9mm. Maybe, eventually.

8. Pangari1

Pangari1 -this space for rent- Supporting Addict

Dec 1, 2011
    Never shot the Trojan and i love my TRP. I have to agree however that $1400 is kinda steep for the TRP. I would go with the Trojan or keep looking around for a better $ on the TRP. I don't think you will make a wrong choice either way, just be sure to post pics when you decide!!!

9. flea

flea Member

Dec 30, 2011
    I've shot the Trojan and it was OK, nothing to jump up and down about. However, I bought a TRP and love it. I replaced the ignition system with Dave Berryhills Hammer, sear and disconnect. This pistol is rock sold reliable, hands down.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted