1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Consider my signature line before replying . . . .
14,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I just have to try constructing a couple sets of grips from the ground up. Cray was crazy enough to send me a set of wood scales, and I picked up one set from Arizona Ironwood, and carved up a really nice piece of Purple Heart that I had laying around. The Purple Heart has a really nice flame pattern through it and I hope it comes out after being finished.

Here are a couple photos from start to where I am now. I am planning on doing the final sanding and to start the finishing this weekend. My question: Do I finish them satin or gloss . . . . . ?

Grip Project - 01.png

100_2963.JPG

Scales.JPG

And fully shaped out . . . . .

100_2959.JPG

100_2960.JPG

100_2961.JPG

100_2962.JPG

·
Registered
960 Posts
Well, I just have to try constructing a couple sets of grips from the ground up. Cray was crazy enough to send me a set of wood scales, and I picked up one set from Arizona Ironwood, and carved up a really nice piece of Purple Heart that I had laying around. The Purple Heart has a really nice flame pattern through it and I hope it comes out after being finished.

Here are a couple photos from start to where I am now. I am planning on doing the final sanding and to start the finishing this weekend. My question: Do I finish them satin or gloss . . . . . ?

And fully shaped out . . . . .

What do 1911 aficionados have in common with their 7 yr. old granddaughters who play with dolls?

They both like to dress up their toys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
Looking good! My vote goes for gloss without checkering. I was planning on attacking some walnut grips myself this weekend. I am certainly not very good at grip making and havent got the balls just yet to ruin a couple pairs trying to checker them.

·
Registered
6,535 Posts
I would love to purchase the Purple Heart from you - if available once complete.

·
Registered
8,596 Posts
nice work. this will carry you through retirement as you new hobby. better than Uber

·
14,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
These are a 'first pass' experiment for me. I have a few more sets of blanks. Let me get past these without a major fail and I'll keep y'all posted on the Purple Heart. The piece I got was definitely purdy . . . .

Any many thanks for the words of encouragement!

Finish the Purple Heart in satin with an ambi cut and sell them to me!
I would love to purchase the Purple Heart from you - if available once complete.

·
Registered
6,535 Posts
These are a 'first pass' experiment for me. I have a few more sets of blanks. Let me get past these without a major fail and I'll keep y'all posted on the Purple Heart. The piece I got was definitely purdy . . . .

Any many thanks for the words of encouragement!
Oops, sorry, I’ll tap out of this. Didn’t see Jaydoc’s comment until now. Was too excited!

·
14,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oops, sorry, I’ll tap out of this. Didn’t see Jaydoc’s comment until now. Was too excited!
No worries, I do have a couple more sets of the scales. I am notoriously SLOW, but I will keep you posted.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Good luck brother!

Reactions: ZoidMeister

·
14,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here is a photo of the Purple Heart scales I have, plus one pair I left at work.

IMG_20171103_225409.jpg

·
Registered
827 Posts
Purpleheart is s really good material for scales. Beautiful, strong, durable and rot resistant.
It's a tropical and pretty bulletproof in terms of hardness, but that lovely purple color will turn an ugly shade BROWN with exposure to sunlight.

Ironwood looks awesome Zoid, very nicely done with all of them.

·
14,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, here are some photos of today's progress. The sheen you see in the grips is NOT finish. I have not started the finishing yet. These are still raw wood. I found some 3000 grit 'sandpaper' in my bag of tricks and used that to finalize the surface. All in all they were sanded 600, 1000, 2000, then 3000 to achieve what you see below.

DSCN0773.JPG

DSCN0775.JPG

DSCN0779.JPG

DSCN0777.JPG

I even tried my hand at doing cutouts for an ambi safety on these. I tried them out on a Springfield I have with the ambi safety and everything works as designed, which was a relief . . . .

I've got to square up the cut on Cray's set of grips a tiny bit, but as it is, my safety works smoothly.

DSCN0780.JPG

I start finishing these tomorrow . . . . .

1 - 20 of 52 Posts