Trying to convince myself to keep my P226 Legion in .40 S&W

Discussion in 'Caliber Talk: Ammunition, Reloading, and Shooting ' started by Acroyer, Jan 16, 2019.

1. Acroyer

Acroyer Off my meds Supporting Addict

Dec 16, 2015
    So, I traded away a P229 Legion in 9mm for a P226 Legion in .40 S&W. Looking at the overall measurements, the guns are nearly identical other than the barrel length. I figured I was in good shape. The grip design is completely different, however, and I ended up installing a short-reach trigger. That made things pretty much, almost, very close to, being just right.

What I really want is a P220 Legion in 10mm. They are comparatively super expensive to the other Legions. So, I am not getting one any time soon.

What does this have to do with caliber talk, you say? Well, I am using Underwood 165gr Gold Dot rounds in the P226, which have the following specs, according to the website:
    Technical Information
    • Caliber: 40 S&W
    • Bullet Weight: 165 Grains
    • Bullet Style: Speer Bonded Jacketed Hollow Point
    • Case Type: Ducta-Bright 7a Nickel Plated Brass
    Ballistics Information
    • Muzzle Velocity: 1200 fps
    • Muzzle Energy: 528 ft lbs
    Now, comparing that to the Corbon 165gr 10mm offering, this is the info on their box:
    Corbon165gr10mm.jpg
    So, the Underwood .40 cal averages 50fps less than the Corbon 10mm. Looking at speeds exceeding 1000fps, I am not sure how much difference 50fps really makes.

In addition, looking at this graphic which all 10mm fanatics love:

10mm_Performance.jpg

Both loads sit in the 2nd column of the Medium Load column (+/- 25fps)

So, does this mean that my P226 using Underwood 165gr .40 cal is actually the rough equivalent of a P220 10mm using Corbon 165gr (or comparable commercial big-box "warm" 165gr 10mm rounds), except I get 12+1 rounds instead of the P220's 8+1?

This is the kind of rambling post you get when the poster has had a rough day and is browsing the gun forums after taking a Clonazepam (not for seizures).

Enough for now. Goodnight!

2. JM44

JM44 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Feb 2, 2018
    Buy a 357 sig barrel for it and enjoy! That’s what I did with mine

3. tarosean

tarosean Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2013
    buy a 10mm barrel if thats your stick..

Nothing wrong with 40 despite what the interweb claim's now-a-days.

4. WWB

WWB Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Supporting Addict

Apr 11, 2015
    10mm barrel will not fit in a 226

5. Bugs

Bugs Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Sell the Sig, buy a CZ for half the price. If you want take the $$ you saved and customize the CZ.

6. Acroyer

Dec 16, 2015
    Not too long ago, I picked up a P229 DAK in .357 Sig, and have yet to shoot it. I have a wide range of calibers in the safe, but I always lean towards the 10mm. I'll probably try to sell the Legion and use the money to pick up one of those Fusion Freedom Reaction models (maybe the Combat version, haven't decided). Kind of sucks, because I really liked the P229 Legion, and thought at the time that I would like the P226 just as well. But, I'm not in love with it.

I should have learned to go out and maybe rent the gun I am thinking of getting to try it out. I don't, though, so I get traders/buyers remorse.

Old Sea Dragon and gps man like this.
  7. Old Sea Dragon

Old Sea Dragon Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2018
    Underwoods 10mm loads are over 700 foot pounds though... I was forced to carry a G22 for 17 years and ditched it as soon as I could. The versatility of the 10mm is that many 40 S&W equivalent loads are available and are quite pleasant to shoot in a all steel pistol. And when you want or need full power loads, they are significantly more so.

8. Acroyer

Dec 16, 2015
    Well, I just got back from the range with my oldest son. I took both Sigs and the Smith 625. The 625 was amazing, of course. The Legion ended up performing excellently, and was pretty sweet with the short-reach trigger.

The P229 DAK was abysmal. The only way I could hit anywhere near my point of aim was to pull the trigger so slowly like it took about 10 seconds to get a shot off.

I'm not in such a rush to sell the Legion now, but I'm going to sell off the 229 at a slight loss. I think I'll concentrate more on the 2 10mms I already have, and maybe get the Fusion if the Legion ever sells.

This thread was more of a "I need to vent" kind of thing, and I appreciate everyone's input. My mind is a little more at ease now.

Old Sea Dragon likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted