1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Recently bought a CZ Protek II from WoodrowAugustus off the forum. Sent it back to CZ Custom and had them do the following; strip polycoat and redo in tungsten, refinish all steel parts in black DLC, short reset, short double action, CZC Tac Low Mount Rear sight, CZ FO front sight. Below is a picture Stuart sent me before shipping back, he takes much better pictures than I do.

I had a Milt Sparks Summer Special II made for a CZ P-01. The retention is good but there is play, the pistol moves because of the slide being milled. So I began looking for an alternative and came across many good reviews of Tucker Gunleather HF1. I sent a message through Tucker Gunleather's web page and received a reply from Rob Longenecker. He gave me the address to Tucker & Byrd and said they would be expecting me. Mr. Byrd showed me around the shop, showed me exotic leather they had on hand, I asked if it were possible to have the holster made in elephant and that's what I got! I picked it up today, it is beautiful!

Tucker Gunleather refers to the holster as the HF1.

https://tuckergunleather.com/

Tucker & Byrd refer to the holster as the SST.

https://www.tuckerandbyrd.com/

·
Premium Member
2,036 Posts
That's a fine looking holster, elephant hide is tough, now you need a matching Belt and Mag carrier.

Reactions: Cobalt60

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
That's a fine looking holster, elephant hide is tough, now you need a matching Belt and Mag carrier.
I asked Mr. Byrd if there was anything I needed to do to help maintain the elephant on my holster, he said no that you could practically sand wood with elephant. Elephant being so tough was a great influence in wanting it on future holsters I purchase. The Milt Sparks Summer Special II and S-4C I had made for a P-01 are trimmed in elephant so I have a magazine holster to use with my Tucker & Byrd. As far as a belt, I'm going to see how it works with my current Milt Sparks belt.

Tucker & Byrd had a nice selection of belts. I need to see if I can stop by sometime and take my time looking belts over. I may end up getting another SST for a 1911.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I tried to order a tucker holster. Got email saying their not taking new orders. Am seriously looking at a tucker and byrd like yours.
Talking to Mr. Byrd on making the holster and what options were available he stated he always adds the full cowhide inner lining and the sweat shield. I was going to get those anyway. The inner cowhide on my holster has molding done of my pistols slide and frame. Give Mr. Byrd a call!

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
I'm pretty much a Sparks guy but have tried some from other makers and the Tucker HF-1 is one of my favorites. I bought one a while back and sold it. It kind of left a void so I bought another and I'm keeping it. Never seen one in elephant. It's one of the prettiest holsters I've ever seen....

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I like Milt Sparks as well; I have Summer Special IIs for Glock 43/4X and CZ P01, an Axiom for a J frame and Criterions for a Glock 43/43X and 1911 commander. I was going to try a 55BN for OWB but read it rides high so went with the Tucker & Byrd SST and really like it. Carrying my CZ Protek in the SST is very comfortable. I'm having another Tucker & Byrd SST being made for a Glock 43X right now. Just waiting on the call to pick it up when complete. Can't wait to see how the Glock 43X carries in an SST.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.