Tucker Gun Leather

Discussion in '1911 Carry' started by RatBikeRod, Jan 9, 2019.

Tags:
  1. RatBikeRod

RatBikeRod You Don’t Know Me!

Nov 22, 2017
    [​IMG]

I remember when I started really getting into guns as a pastime (hobby) a buddy of mine said,”well, prepare yourself. Cause you will end up spending more on holsters than guns.” I laughed at him and blissfully headed down the road in ignorance.

Holsters are like underwear; yes, you can buy the cheap kind that end up creeping up your crack, or you can spend a bit more and get something that … fits… unless you are a thong person, then they start out in your crack.

Anyhow, you get my point.

Now I have tried about every available option out there and have the box of old holsters to prove it. I have every type of leather, kydex, hybrid, you name it. I have found those that work but don’t hold up. This that hold up but are uncomfortable. Those that hold up and are comfortable but don’t hold the pistol well. And those that don’t hold up, aren’t comfortable and don’t hold the gun well.

With polymer guns (like my P320) I really like a full kydex holster. The positive retention and ease of use in all conditions are great.

However, worn all day, even my best fitting, most comfortable, perfect kydex gets uncomfortable. There is just no give and moving around all day I tend to notice it being there.

Christmas before last I splurged and ordered up a Tucker Gun Leather holster. Now, I had heard good things about Tucker holsters and they are a Texas holster maker. So the two things encouraged me to part with more than I had ever paid for a holster. Still not bad, as I did not have a bunch of custom tooling done so I ended up out the door for around $170 for my 1911 Commander HF-1.

[​IMG]

When it arrived a few weeks later, much quicker than expected, I thought it was one of the nicest holsters I had run across. Tucker’s online holster photos are dead on and mine was just as nice. I got a nice two-tone black and cherry with a Texas concho and with the inner lining which makes the holster a bit stiffer and easier on your gun surface.

I expected some break in but was impressed when my commander dropped right into place with good retention. Not too tight, not too loose.

On the hip the holster rides pretty high. The only time I notice this is when I am in my truck and the butt of my gun is right at my rib. Not uncomfortable and only noticed when the bolsters in my truck seats push it into my ribs. Otherwise the slight cant and the position is perfect. It makes the butt of the gun just disappear. Generally the entire design of the holster makes it very easy to conceal and carry even a large heavy gun very comfortably.

The draw from it is smooth, with just enough retention to keep the gun in place all day without any worries.

Now, leather is not everyone’s bag. I do not carry where I expect the leather to get wet. I think Tucker holsters (especially the lined ones) will hold up just fine to bad weather, but wet leather and steel are a bad combo. If you are not careful you will end up with pitting on your gun if you happen to leave it in a wet leather holster. So if I know I am going somewhere on my bike and plan to carry and am not sure about the weather I will tend toward Kydex. I will also tend toward one of my polymer guns as well though.

Since the new job came through I treated myself to one for my P229 Legion SAO I just did some trading for and received it today. Again, barely two weeks after I ordered it. I have been carrying it in an El Paso Saddlery High Slide, another leather holster I like really well but it is relatively flimsy. It does work though and I picked it up for only $30, so I am not complaining.

With the 1911 the holster was just perfect. Holding my commanders right where I want them and with a great deal of all day comfort for a all steel 1911.

My P229 Legion weighs in at around 32oz prior to ammo. With 15+1, I am easily pushing 40+ oz. Probably about the same as with my Dan Wesson VBob fully loaded. However, the P229 is a double stack so it is quite a bit wider than my 1911’s. I was concerned about all day comfort, however, it had been carrying well in the El Paso Saddlery holster. As you can see from the pictures the 229 holster is quite a bit larger. The other thing I want to mention that I really like about the HF-1 is that it covers the entire front of the slide. I am a died in the wool Wranger guy and I have noticed the brads on my jeans, if I am not careful about placement, can wear on the front of the slide in an open ended holster like the El Paso.

I will admit to ordering this for my P320 before the debacle with it and picking up the P229. However, they are very close dimensionally and I expected that the slight break in needed with a leather holster, if I stuck with only carrying the P229 would work just fine.

As it turns out, as expected, the P229 Legion fit perfectly in the holster. As you can see I went with basic black with white stitch, but Tucker offers a number of leather color combos as well as custom tooling.

There may be better holsters out there, but I have not come across them yet. Tucker makes a fantastic holster that seems to hold up well (just over a year on my 1911 holster and no discernible wear), that are comfortable and work well.

Give them a try - https://tuckergunleather.com

Tucker has not paid me for this write up, I am just a guy who likes nice guns and holsters.

[​IMG]

Dub, jaypap, xerts1191 and 12 others like this.
  2. Chief1297

Chief1297 Active Member

Feb 10, 2018
    I have two of his and will go with his work every time. I have a HF2 for my Dan Wesson ECO and a pancake for my walther PPS. Great holsters and no I am not affiliated with Tucker holsters

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
    Dub, 1L26 and Rob Longenecker like this.

3. Rob Longenecker

Rob Longenecker Member

Mar 25, 2018
    Great review! Very detailed and specific compared to many that say, "It's great, just get one!"

Dub, gps man and Jollyroger1 like this.
  4. ORShooter

ORShooter Just outsided the realm of Crazy!

Nov 28, 2018
    Great post and product! Thanks for taking the time to share them with us!:thumbs:

5. 1L26

1L26 Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2018
    I have an HF2 and 2 of his magazine carriers. Great products. Next is a Tucker Ranger belt to match the rest of my Tucker gear...

Dub likes this.
  6. Fred_G

Fred_G Known Agitator

Dec 29, 2015
    Tucker makes great holsters. Not a fan of his belts, but lots of people love them.

Dub likes this.
  7. DukeSoprano

DukeSoprano Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Jan 17, 2013
  8. DMiller

DMiller Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2012
    Rob’s HF-1 is my go to OWB holster. I have several of them for various pistols. The quality and craftsmanship are always superb, and wait time has always been shorter that times listed on the website.

I’m actually in the market for a new gunbelt, and chances are it will be coming from Tucker Gun Leather.

Dub, 1L26 and gun_fan111 like this.
  9. Larry Baldwin

Larry Baldwin Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2015
    I agree, Tucker makes a fantastic holster. I have two of them.

10. gun_fan111

gun_fan111 Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2014
    Yes we do :)

11. TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot

TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot I do not consent.

Dec 28, 2017
    Well-done review. Makes me want to try one. Think I'll get one for the V-Bob.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

1L26 likes this.
  12. 1L26

1L26 Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2018
    Rob is a great guy to deal with too!

Dub and DMiller like this.
  13. pacecars

pacecars Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2012
    I just got my first HF-1 for a Springfield RO 10mm and it is absolutely the best OWB for concealment that I have had. I usually carry IWB since all the OWB holsters have never really worked for me. The HF-1 pulls the gun in tight and allows me to cover it with a long t-shirt. I might have to rethink my carrying options now.
    [​IMG]

Dub, 1L26, gps man and 2 others like this.
  14. RatBikeRod

RatBikeRod You Don’t Know Me!

Nov 22, 2017
    It’s amazing how well it holds the gun for concealment isnt it!

Dub and gps man like this.
  15. zipper046

zipper046 Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2013
    anyone know what degree of forward cant Tucker uses? I find 10 degrees for me works perfect...at 15 degrees, sometimes it pokes through the front of my shirt...I carry at 3 - 3:30....thanks!

16. Rob Longenecker

Rob Longenecker Member

Mar 25, 2018
    13 degrees cant angle, but it can be made with 10 degrees if you ask. Ask Rob.

Dub and zipper046 like this.
  17. sparkyfender

sparkyfender Active Member

Nov 26, 2017
    Tucker makes a beautiful holster. I've owned two of them, but ended up selling them to buy holsters from a guy whose work I like just a little bit better.

Still, Tucker is quality leather work, and I would own another in an instant.

18. Ken Gallagher

Ken Gallagher Active Member

May 17, 2015
    And, Tucker doesn't rest on their laurels… Their new DC-1 is an excellent, multi purpose holster!!

Attached Files:

Dub, sparkyfender and 1L26 like this.
  19. Fred_G

Fred_G Known Agitator

Dec 29, 2015
    That is an interesting holster.

20. Ken Gallagher

Ken Gallagher Active Member

May 17, 2015
    The number of permutations you can create with this holster will drive you nuts!!

1L26 and Fred_G like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted