Tumbling Media with Red Rogue?

Discussion in 'Caliber Talk: Ammunition, Reloading, and Shooting ' started by Carolinaboy, Oct 15, 2011.

1. Carolinaboy

Carolinaboy Aim Small Miss Small Supporting Addict

Sep 17, 2011
    I was at my Dad's shop, (where we build bullets, lathes, reloading etc...) and he picked up some new tumbling media. I used it like I always use the corn cob media. Well it is the corn cob media with the red rogue in it, and all the brass was basically just stained a tint of maroon after words....:mad2:

I'm not too big on having my brass bright and mirror like but I do like them to be basically clean. I ran them through a towel a few times seeing if that would clean them up. The red came off the outside pretty well. But the inside of the brass was still red..

Think it would cause any issues.....I wouldn't think so. But it was kind of annoying you usually use the tumbler to clean up the brass and this stuff almost made it worse.

It was the lyman Red Media

Just curious if anybody else has experienced this??

2. dilespla

dilespla Never made it to step 12 Supporting Addict

Oct 12, 2011
    Never used that stuff, but thanks for the warning. Can you just run it back through with your regular media?

3. Earlsbud

Earlsbud Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 28, 2011
    Coleman lantern fuel in regular media should cut it. About a cup.

4. 3Baers

3Baers 1911 oldie

Oct 9, 2011
    That sounds like its just waiting for a spark......

To the OP if you haven't tried Dillion Rapid Polish 290, try some its good stuff.

5. Rod38um

Rod38um Opinionated Shooter

Oct 5, 2011
    I've always used the red as a first stage to cut the heavy stuff and use the green corncob as a final finisher. Sort of like course and fine.......... red course, green fine. The green makes the casings slick like they've been polished.

6. Carolinaboy

Sep 17, 2011
    Main stuff we've used is regular corn Cobb. But I do have some dillon polish, thinking about running through with regular media. To clean em

7. Carolinaboy

Sep 17, 2011
    I got some green too, might try that

8. Earlsbud

Earlsbud Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 28, 2011
    Been waitin' on a spark for decades.

9. 3Baers

3Baers 1911 oldie

Oct 9, 2011
    I run my cases twice, once with 1 batch of corn cobb as a initial cleaning for about 1 hour. Then I run them in a second batch of corn cobb with a couple of cap fulls on RP290 for another hour.. Gets them as clean and polished as I need them, they are just going to get loaded and shot again.

10. duketbrd88

duketbrd88 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2011
    Walnut media, easiest and works best for me.

11. polizei1

polizei1 It WAS Quack

Aug 18, 2011
    x2. I used crushed walnuts, 3 hours and they're done.

12. carljc72

carljc72 1911's & Gunleather Supporting Addict

Sep 27, 2011
    X3. I used to use corn, and run batches with polish, and, and,and ... But I found with Walnut, they are clean enough for me and I only have to touch them once.

13. Karsten

Karsten Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2013
    Go to Petco and buy Crushed Walnut Shell sold as Lizard Bedding in 11 pound bags...it is cheap and does the same thing.

Karsten

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted