1911 Firearm Addicts banner

Tuning a 1911 magazine

Tags
magazine
10K views 31 replies 21 participants last post by  Jimhoag 
#1 ·
I was told my pistol ran perfectly for over 500rds by the factory and that the reason it is choking 1 or 2 times per mag, ftf, early lock back..is due to non tuned mags. I am using Wilson 47d and ETM mags only.
So. Initially I think a 3k pistol shouldnt need a special tuned mag to run with ball ammo. So, what do I need to do to "tune" the mags? What is all that is involved?
The company offered to tune my mags if I send them out.

#2 ·
A bit tough to respond to this one...
Just curious, who is the manufacturer that states that they factory tested your pistol for "over 500 rounds"?
Myself personally, I have never had an issue with either of the Wilson products you have named.
How does one "tune" a magazine for ball ammo... do you then need to "tune" it again for JHP's?

#5 ·
Difficult to explain with type. Kuhnhausens' book describes, in detail, the concept and has good pics also. Certain there are other sources for info. I think checkmate, mag manufacturers has a tutorial somewhere. As always, google search is your friend

#8 ·
You know how I tune a mag?

I put it in the gun and rack the slide then pull the trigger. Then pull the trigger again and again and again. So far the only mag related problem Ive had a was broken base plate on a Les Baer mag. I would not own a gun that only ran on brand X , Y or Z tuned mag.

#9 ·
Seems like a cop out, no $3000 gun should require tuned mags in my opinion. If so I'll stick with my Kimber and the $299 ATI that I picked up and runs all ammo thru every type of magazine I have. Even my 357 Coonan doesn't require tuned magazines, although there's only one type of mag it runs all types of ammo with no issues!
Just my thought, hope you find a good source on how to tune your mags.
Also another thought. It would be nice to inform other addicts who this $3000 firearm is built by to see if it's been an issue or just to give other addicts a heads up if they are considering a purchase!
You'd want to know if someone was having these kind of issues. Plus if some of the people here know which firearm you are working with they might be able to steer you in a better direction to fix the issue. There are some on here that probably know more than most manufacturers, just sayin!

#13 ·
Frankly I think it is a slide stop issue, but they said they ran 500 rds and no issues came up after they repaired the original slide stop. Then they asked if I was using their tuned mags. I will post pics tomorrow when I run it again.
I am going to shoot swc's too to alleviate a possible slide stop issue.

into trouble shooting mode I go, I will report the findings.

#14 ·
Figured it out. Im a lefty and the slide stop has a shelf...my trigger finger knuckle was impacting the bottom of the Shelf upon recoil and causing premature slide lock. I paid very close attention to this and then was very mindful of it. Once I figured it out the Gun ran 300 rounds of mixed ammunition and mixed magazines flawlessly.

#16 ·
I was told my pistol ran perfectly for over 500rds by the factory and that the reason it is choking 1 or 2 times per mag, ftf, early lock back..is due to non tuned mags. I am using Wilson 47d and ETM mags only.
So. Initially I think a 3k pistol shouldnt need a special tuned mag to run with ball ammo. So, what do I need to do to "tune" the mags? What is all that is involved?
The company offered to tune my mags if I send them out.
You got it right . A $3000 pistol should not need a "tuned mag," whatever the heck that is. I have had issues with 47D's before, until I put Tripp springs in and changed the follower to the Colt design. It might just be the mags you are using. My same gun that didn't like 47Ds will run every other mag I put in it which includes; Metalform, Tripp Cobra, and Mec Gar and even Kimber mags.

My opinion is the Tripp Cobra Mag is the most robust mag built. If me, I'd not pass go and get one of their 7 rounders to try. The reason I say seven rounds is because I have seen some guns that just don't like 8 rounders. The seven round mag will take that variable out of the equation.

#19 ·
The only magazine tuning I have heard of for a real 1911 is back when you had to reshape the lips to feed stubby semiwadcutters like the H&G 130. Most magazines seem to come with wadcutter lips now, that isn't necessary any more.
Double stack 2011s seem to be supporting a cottage industry of magazine adjustments, though. I know mine are pretty sad.

#23 ·
Wilson mags are good to go, except for the 47D which is a retro engineered 7 round 47. A thinner gauge spring is used in the 47d to make the inclusion of an eighth round possible. Premature spring fatigue is a real issue with the 47D. I'm convinced the only reason Wilson still makes them is because people insist on buying them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.