1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I liked @swampgas recent thread with the Ironwood scales and wanted to share some Turkish Walnut @Gripwright sourced for me. The marbled Walnut is becoming my favorite wood, although it’s nice to have a bit of everything in a collection.

I can’t wait to see how these turn out. Anyone have any finished to share?

C83963DE-59E8-4D20-BE88-D25EC4834BF9.jpeg
72F24FE2-3C2A-499D-9550-062281299C5B.jpeg

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow! The curly figure is amazing on those. Funny, I just emailed him this am about some Turkish walnut scales I liked...
Thanks. I actually noticed some amazing and very expensive shotgun stocks made out similar wood and got the idea. I have one set I really like that Bob made me, but not as figured as these scales.

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
I had a set of English walnut from Chalis that I miss dearly. Those blanks look very nice.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Oh my! I think the top set is going to be particularly striking. As far as I am concerned, English/Turkish/French Walnut is the king of wood. I am eager to see how those two sets turn out.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@AJP Thx. I agree about the walnut being king, particularly marbled. I still pretty new to 1911s and grip furniture, but whenever I see a nice set of walnut I prefer to even ironwood.

·
Premium Member
2,068 Posts
Gorgeous scales! I've been to that Turkish Walnut site, 15 grand for shot gun butt and forearm, but fantastic wood. I recently got a bunch of spalted Maple that should turn out to be stunners. I'm gonna pick a few sets out and do a swap with Bob for the remainder of it

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
DSCN9334.jpeg
Found these a while back and would have bought them if they weren't half checkered. Half checkered sucks. Either checker them all the way or leave them smooth. Ruins a beautiful set of grips....

·
Max Otto von Stierlitz
2,420 Posts
I’ve got a CZ 455 American .22LR/.22WMR (inter-changeable barrels) that has a Turkish Walnut stock. CZ used just a touch of curly Turkish Walnut and turned out a very handsome stock.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Are you thinking of Cavery Grips?
Tread carefully, sir. You do not want to smear a good man and his business's name.
After reviewing an older Cavery Grip thread, I believe I was mistaken and that is in fact who I was referencing. Thank you for the correction and I have corrected my original post.

@Sculptor , my sincere apologies Sir. I was wrong and I am sorry for making such an ill informed and utterly incorrect allegation about you and your business.

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
Cavery! I could not remember that name to save my life. I didn't think there was ever a issue with @Sculptor but I took a hiatus for a while some time back and thought I might have missed something. Good to know this was just a mistake.

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
I think Brian thinks I called him a crook....what a cluster. Lol

·
Banned
288 Posts
Beautiful.
I liked @swampgas recent thread with the Ironwood scales and wanted to share some Turkish Walnut @Gripwright sourced for me. The marbled Walnut is becoming my favorite wood, although it’s nice to have a bit of everything in a collection.

I can’t wait to see how these turn out. Anyone have any finished to share?

View attachment 412139 View attachment 412137

My favorite woods are curly lowland Hawai'ian koa and New Zealand back walnut. Both are getting harder to find.

·
Registered
59 Posts
After reviewing an older Cavery Grip thread, I believe I was mistaken and that is in fact who I was referencing. Thank you for the correction and I have corrected my original post.

@Sculptor , my sincere apologies Sir. I was wrong and I am sorry for making such an ill informed and utterly incorrect allegation about you and your business.
Thanks for the apology AJP. I assumed there was a mistake and I'm glad that's all it was. We all make them! My best to you and yours.

·
Turgid member
523 Posts
Reactions: jcc7x7

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Like the French Walnut!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts