1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've got two Ruger Vaquero's that need the barrels turned to try to adjust point of impact. One hits left and one right.
I bought a barrel vise and a frame wrench but the barrel just turns in the vise. It has wood that is supposed to clamp the barrel but I can't get it tight enough? The oak blocks are crushing so I think I have it tightened enough?
Any advice?
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I had the same issue and ended up using a piece of a thick leather belt instead of the wood blocks. It worked surprisingly well.

·
Premium Member
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Never heard of rosin powder? I'll look into it. Thanks.
I do have some leather though.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
You can use 400-600 grit sand paper, turned with the grit side against the wood. The paper side against the bbl.
This will give the wood some traction on the bbl and if all goes well it won't mar the bbl. finish.
Be very careful not to twist the frame while you're doing this.

·
Premium Member
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I tried sandpaper and a piece of leather separately. The barrel still turned. Do you heat the frame?

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
I'd consider a call to ruger monday, and ask if they will rotate the bbl's for you!
I don't like revo bbl work because of the chance of tweaking the frame.
SO I'm going to leave it at "call ruger" at this point
Good fortune.

·
Premium Member
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I even went so far as to send it to them a month ago. Didn't work out to well as I had changed the trigger and hammer with a Power Custom and Ruger said it was unsafe and wanted 150 to change out the parts and they wouldn't send my parts back with it! I politely said no thank you.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Yeah they can be like that!!! (Ruger)
At this point if it's twisting in the bbl. vice you need to go with rosin and refinish as needed.
Sometimes it works out with the sandpaper
Get the Rosin out and go with that next.
If you don't want to wait on Brownells you can go to a Bowling center and get a bag of Rosin used to dry hands off. It is usually very fine though. Make a paste if it won't stay where you want it, with water.

·
Premium Member
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I may try that, if there are any open in my area? I ordered some but won't be here till the end of the week, maybe?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Yeah they can be like that!!! (Ruger)
At this point if it's twisting in the bbl. vice you need to go with rosin and refinish as needed.
Sometimes it works out with the sandpaper
Get the Rosin out and go with that next.
If you don't want to wait on Brownells you can go to a Bowling center and get a bag of Rosin used to dry hands off. It is usually very fine though. Make a paste if it won't stay where you want it, with water.
Try a Sporting Goods store (the kind that specialize in ball stuff). Powdered rosin is used by pitchers, and in other sports, as well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts