1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here's is a Tussey Custom worked Norinco I picked-up in a Pawn shop for $385.

I had no idea who did the work at first, but I found a 4 digit electric pencil number on the slide and some small parts that was not part of the serial number. I had another Tussey Custom built Colt that also had a 4 digit number on it's slide & small parts. I contacted Tussey Custom who confirmed it was an invoice number, but had no records of it. They were going to pull their A&D log books to research it for me.

I added a Kimber ambi-safety as I'm a lefty. The grips are water buffalo bone from south east Asia. Probably some of the nicest I've ever seen, and they were only $45 shipped. I like how they are slightly wider than most 1911 grips. Trigger is excellent (about 2 1/2 lbs.). It shoots like a dream.

How it looked when I found it. You can notice the similarities with this Tussey worked Colt. Probably both belonged to the same owner at one time. But I found them in different shops?

·
Consider my signature line before replying . . . .
14,799 Posts
Agree with your conclusion. The dark pin sets seem to be a dead giveaway.

·
We Are!
3,024 Posts
What a find - wow! Congrats!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Damn fine find! Jesus I can never find treasures at any shops around me. I go in once a week looking for the score
Yeah, I was shocked when I saw it at a local pawn for $385. I could tell someone had done some nice work to it. The Tussey Custom Colt I picked-up 2 days later at a local gun shop. During disassembly is when I saw the invoice numbers and put it all together (what are the odds?).

My speculation is that Tussey did the work for the same owner back in the 90's when he still had his shop in Santa Ana, CA. The owner than retired to the area I live in in AZ (big retirement area). Maybe he passed or got sick and it was time to get rid of his guns (it will happen to us all). Both guns were brought to my local gun shop, but as they always have a ton of used 1911's, they passed on the Norinco. The Norinco was than brought to a local pawn shop for disposal.

All speculation, but it seems that's what may have happen. Based on the timing of these showing up around the same time, guns dating to the 90's, both worked by Tussey, and similarities in the work performed.

I actually use to work 15 minutes from Tussy's SA location and had him do some minor work for me in the late 90's. I was familiar with his work from seeing it at his shop and on his Gun Show table. The EB grip safety is a big Tussey give away. And I thought about that when I originally bought the Norinco.

·
Consider my signature line before replying . . . .
14,799 Posts
Nice looking piece there Dump.
What do U think Zoid? Is this a good price $ this Norinco?
My word, many people would pay $385 for a Norinco dumped out of the Conex straight from China. What a catch.
I would give $385 for a bare stock Norinco any day.

A custom smiffed one, easily fo-fiddy mo . . . . :smurggrin:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts