1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks - I’ve searched a lot of sites and threads for an answer to this one and would really appreciate hearing from you guys...

Basic question is around my two-piece full-length guide rod and converting to a GI setup. I have seen a lot of videos and descriptions showing where people swap out the two-piece FLGR with a GI spring cap and a new spring guide. With the Springfield Loaded two-piece guide rod, once you unscrew the FLGR extension you are left with a short spring guide that looks very much like one of the GI-system guides but with threads. Can I simply keep that in place and get a GI spring cap and be done with the conversion? I’m not sure why people get new spring guides.

Thank you in advance for sharing your thoughts.

John

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks el Perdido. The core of my question is whether I can leave the recoil spring guide that is part of the two-piece system in place rather than getting a new one. It appears to be the same width and length, with the only difference (that I can see) being threads at the end that faces the spring plug.

·
Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!
6,452 Posts
Thanks el Perdido. The core of my question is whether I can leave the recoil spring guide that is part of the two-piece system in place rather than getting a new one. It appears to be the same width and length, with the only difference (that I can see) being threads at the end that faces the spring plug.
I've never tried what your asking, I use either GI style guide rods or Wilson one piece FLGRs. In theory what you are asking should work, however a recoil spring doesn't compress in a perfectly straight line when using a short guide rod so I would be concerned with the coils hanging up on the sharp edge at the front of the half of the two piece guide rod you'd be using. If you look at a GI guide rod the front is rounded and I would assume that it's made that way to allow the spring to compress without catching on it. GI guide rods are inexpensive, I'd just buy the parts and do the conversion correctly.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
...however a recoil spring doesn't compress in a perfectly straight line when using a short guide rod so I would be concerned with the coils hanging up on the sharp edge at the front of the half of the two piece guide rod you'd be using. If you look at a GI guide rod the front is rounded and I would assume that it's made that way to allow the spring to compress without catching on it.
Excellent point and certainly clarifies why the change-out is needed. I don’t want to half-butt anything, but couldn’t understand why the swap was required. Thanks so much.

·
1911 Pistol Smith
9,429 Posts
I have done this conversion with a Kimber and a few other pistols, did extensive research before doing the first one. The problem with what your suggesting is sharp edges on the plug left over, the diameter of that piece as well as the length. Using this part could cause spring stacking which could cause your gun to not cycle all the way. The end of the part you speak of gets hung up on one of the coils and begins to compress the spring from there. GI guide rods are cheap, don't take short cuts. There is also a difference in a 4" and a 4.25 true commander. You want to make sure after installation that the end of your guide rod does not hit the inside of the spring cap.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I did exactly what you’re asking with my Loaded. It’s not an issue if you want to try it just to see if there’s any difference in feel for you. You can basically try it out just by running the base piece of your 2-piece rod with the plug that has the hole in it. But if you decide you want to keep that configuration I wouldn’t keep the original (base piece of the 2-piece) in place, I’d just buy a standard GI guide rod (which is what I did). You’ll also want a regular plug without the hole for the full-length rod. As WC145 stated the base of your 2-piece is slightly longer than a GI and has the threads at the tip. There is some potential there for a compressed recoil spring to bind and maybe catch there. I ordered a standard rod and plug from Springfield but you can get them from any one of many sources. (Side note: this was a few years ago. I ordered stainless parts and received blued. When I called about it they shipped the stainless parts I wanted and told me to just keep the blued ones.)

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
If you wanted to cut off the threaded section and round off the corners, the back end of the two piece would be useable. You could keep the plug with hole, it would just make your pistol look like an over/under.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nothing, and I mean nothing, makes a 1911 look more awesome than simulating over/under capability :D

If you wanted to cut off the threaded section and round off the corners, the back end of the two piece would be useable. You could keep the plug with hole, it would just make your pistol look like an over/under.

·
Premium Member
2,433 Posts
Really cool pic.. At least she is calm, from what I hear those momma's can be a bit hormonal lol..
Moose injure way more people than bears. For some dumb reason, some folks seem to think that they are harmless. Big mistake there.
Some years ago for some stupid reason, an old man wanted to use a certain door at the college. A momma moose and her calf were close to that door. Instead of backing off and using a different door the old man walked between momma moose and her calf. Momma moose did not like that at all and went and stomped the old man to death. He died for being stupid and Momma moose was shot and killed for doing what comes natural protecting her young. After all, we can't have a killer of dumb people live can we? No one knows what happened to the calf.

Reactions: Integrity Arms

·
1911 Pistol Smith
9,429 Posts
Moose injure way more people than bears. For some dumb reason, some folks seem to think that they are harmless. Big mistake there.
Some years ago for some stupid reason, an old man wanted to use a certain door at the college. A momma moose and her calf were close to that door. Instead of backing off and using a different door the old man walked between momma moose and her calf. Momma moose did not like that at all and went and stomped the old man to death. He died for being stupid and Momma moose was shot and killed for doing what comes natural protecting her young. After all, we can't have a killer of dumb people live can we? No one knows what happened to the calf.
Yeah I have seen some videos of them being pretty violent especially the female but, always involving a calf it appears.

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
I've never tried what your asking, I use either GI style guide rods or Wilson one piece FLGRs. In theory what you are asking should work, however a recoil spring doesn't compress in a perfectly straight line when using a short guide rod so I would be concerned with the coils hanging up on the sharp edge at the front of the half of the two piece guide rod you'd be using. If you look at a GI guide rod the front is rounded and I would assume that it's made that way to allow the spring to compress without catching on it. GI guide rods are inexpensive, I'd just buy the parts and do the conversion correctly.
This*

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
Stupid people/Stupid games/Stupid prizes. Shame for mama Moose though. Academics live in a bubble and theirs is a very weird world.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts