Ugliest but best shooter

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by Doc45, Nov 14, 2018.

1. Doc45

Doc45 Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2018
    Of all the 1911s I own or have owned this ugly "old blaster" is the one I shoot the best. It was custom built by a local smith to me in 2004. I've posted about it before but after taking it out yesterday for a few rounds I just wanted to share again. This gun was gifted to me in 2012 by the widow of my best friend. He bought it new from the gunsmith in 2004. It's been carried a lot and shot even more lol.

It was built with Caspian frame and slide, Kart barrel/bushing, Koenig speed hammer, Brown ignition parts and safeties. The gunsmith is a former Army SF Sgt. Major and did the cerakote to reflect Army colors. I always thought it was kind of ugly lol but damn this thing shoots!! Also it has a series 80 safety system and I've surprised many experienced 1911 shooters that have shot it when I told them. At the time one of the major police departments in my area mandated series 80 style 1911s for officers wishing to carry them-don't know if that's still the case as all the guys I know have retired haha-so that was his reasoning for building this one that way. The finish is a bit more worn than it shows in the photo but I like it like that.

It's resting on my old High Noon Topless, a great holster I've owned a looong time.

Just wanted to share the ugly but fine blaster I'd choose if I could only have one.

[​IMG]

Here's the sight set-up I'm using on it-different than originals which were Novak 3 dot front/rear. This is an Ameriglo front night with orange ring and Novak Ghost rear. It's not only very fast but for me that orange really pops. Switched to these about 2 years ago.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
  2. 41 Charlie

41 Charlie Get off my lawn...

Feb 4, 2014
    Sure looks purdy, to me...

Quite an honor to have that one!

Doc45 and WC145 like this.

3. Old Sea Dragon

Old Sea Dragon Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2018
  4. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Consider my signature line before replying . . . .

Dec 4, 2014
    Iff'n this were a CONTEST, I would win . . . . .

Doc45, Babboonbobo and FWoo45 like this.
  5. 41 Charlie

Feb 4, 2014
    Yours truly is uglier, Curly. But there's just something about it being gifted by the wife of his best friend. I think that's something too truly cherish!

Doc45 and Babboonbobo like this.
  6. gaijin

gaijin Well-Known Member

May 18, 2015
    Great pistol.
    I would value that one highly as well.

41 Charlie and Doc45 like this.
  7. Babboonbobo

Babboonbobo Avatar is back to my favorite things!

Nov 18, 2014
    This is the best reason

41 Charlie likes this.
  8. Fred_G

Fred_G Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2015
    Nothing ugly about that gun. It just has character. If it fits your hand, and shoots well, to me, that is really all that matters. Yours has the bonus of a personal history.

I have a gun my Grandmother traded $10 and a hog for... It does not shoot very well, but is a keeper.

9. Doc45

Doc45 Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2018
    Thanks all. I was with my friend the day he bought it. Funny thing-of all his 1911s this was the only .45; the others were either .38 Super or 9, all factory standard Colts. Evidently he told his wife how I couldn’t get over how well this one shot.

It will eventually go to my younger son as a reminder of his “uncle” Sandy.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
  10. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Consider my signature line before replying . . . .

Dec 4, 2014
    No question. One reason I didn't spam the thread with a photo.

Even Curly has limits. Zoid is another matter . . .

To the OP: very nice tribute to your best friend and son. Sadly, I am lacking both. Regrets for the derail.

41 Charlie and Doc45 like this.
  11. Doc45

Doc45 Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2018
    Thanks zoid, no regrets needed, no problem. Take it easy.

ZoidMeister likes this.
  12. 41 Charlie

Feb 4, 2014
    No regrets, Curly. You do have the ugliest 1911 I've ever seen. And the back story on that pony is pretty special!

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted