Uncocking 1911’s

Discussion in 'Beginner's Corner' started by Chops, Dec 14, 2018.

1. Chops

Chops New Member

Nov 28, 2018
    I’ve noticed this on my full size Ruger SR 1911 and other Ruger 1911’s. I can uncock by simply pulling the hammer back and pulling the trigger slowly letting hammer move forward. On my Springfield I have to use grip safety with the above method. I prefer the Springfield sequence much better. Yes I’m new to the 1911 platform and trying to educate myself.

2. NPV

NPV Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2017
    The best way to de-cock a 1911 is to disengage the safety, take a good grip, point it in a safe direction, and press the trigger. Also the most fun way.

3. Don_P

Don_P Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Dec 4, 2018
    Are you lowering the hammer on a live round? I never found a real need to uncock it or lower the hammer on a live round without wanting it to go off. If it's empty I just dry fire it.

4. BigDeeeeeeee

BigDeeeeeeee Idaho 1911er

Aug 19, 2011
    Your Ruger shouldn't let the hammer fall without engaging the grip safety either.

5. EvolutionArmory

EvolutionArmory Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2011
    No 1911 should allow the trigger to be pressed far enough to let the hammer drop without holding the grip safety. That’s the whole point of the safety....

If one of yours does, it’s defective.

Also, you should learn more about the safe operation of the gun. I can see no reason why you would ever have to manually lower the hammer.

6. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Consider my signature line before replying . . . .

Dec 4, 2014
    I need to check my SR1911's to see if they exhibit the same behavior. Scary . . .

azpoolguy and BenchMonkey like this.
  7. tylerishonda

tylerishonda Member

Aug 19, 2018
    Why are you trying to decock a single action pistol? 1911's are inheritly designed to be "cocked and locked", and its unsafe to try and lower the hammer on a live round. You can do this with DA/SA pistols due to a firing pin block that doesn't let the hammer hit the firing pin unless the trigger is depressed, but SA pistols DO NOT have this feature, they are not designed for this feature, and they will discharge upon impact from the hammer.

Sent from my SM-S337TL using Tapatalk

BigJimP likes this.
  8. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    @Chops, the grip safety on a 1911 is supposed to lock the trigger when it's not depressed. Lowering the hammer should require both the thumb and grip safety to be disengaged.

UBOATDOC likes this.
  9. WC145

WC145 Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!

Jan 1, 2013
    If you are pulling the hammer back with your thumb before pulling the trigger the hammer is probably pressing on the grip safety disengaging it and allowing you to pull the trigger and lower the hammer. You can "decock" a 1911 one handed this way, though the smarter way to do it is to clear it and just dry fire it like Don_P said.

Pedro likes this.
  10. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Consider my signature line before replying . . . .

Dec 4, 2014

Chops,

I just checked my SR1911's. None of them exhibit this behavior, HOWEVER . . . . .

When I received my SR1911-10mm, I noticed the grip safety rattled around like a rusty old scrap metal wagon. The SR1911-10mm was my newest 1911 from Ruger. I noticed two things:

a) the thumb safety was horribly fit - it was too small to properly engage the slide, and
    b) the sear spring made almost zero contact with the grip safety, which is why it was rattling around.

I am guessing that your grip safety rattles also. To fix this, remove the mainspring housing, take out the sear spring, and bend the right hand leaf outward quite a bit. Make that leaf of the spring get full contact with your grip safety so it doesn't rattle and stays in the "safe" position until the palm of your hand moves it.

Hope that helps.

Z

11. Gripwright

Gripwright Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2016
    I would urge you to send it back as well. My SR1911 did exactly the same thing on it's first trip to the range. I can only speculate on how it cleared QC . Sent it back, they repaired it. 100 rounds later the front sight broke, saw it bounce off the overhead. Back we go again....other than that, perfect. That's the only serious problem I've had with a Ruger.

12. Chops

Chops New Member

Nov 28, 2018
    It’s unloaded. I Wouldn’t decock on a live round. As I said I noticed when I cleared the gun. I don’t like to dry fire my firearms. So I decock it and noticed I didn’t have to engage the grip safety. So I put a snap cap in the chamber cycled it and you can’t fire it without using the grip safety. You can pull the hammer back slightly and pull the trigger without the grip safety and the hammer will strike. My Springfield doesn’t do that. Went to my local gun shop and the brand new Ruger SR 1911 does the same thing. I just wondering why? I’m new to this forms, use the 1911 in the Marines.i know how to handle them. Just questioning why the two makers are different in that action

13. Chops

Chops New Member

Nov 28, 2018

14. BigDeeeeeeee

Aug 19, 2011
    Sounds like your hammer hits the beavertail and pushes it down thereby releasing the grip safety. your Springfield probably has more clearance.

Mickey D and ZoidMeister like this.
  15. Chops

Chops New Member

Nov 28, 2018
    Yes my grip safety rattles not bad but it sure does. My Springfield doesn’t make a sound

16. switchback

switchback Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2014

17. BigDeeeeeeee

Aug 19, 2011
    Either way it's shouldn't do that Chops, send it back and make them fix it.

Chops and Kip like this.
  18. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    From what hammer position are you doing this from? Full cock, half cock, quarter cock, ... ?

Are you sure that you're not engaging the grip safety, possibly indirectly, when you lower the hammer?

19. Chops

Chops New Member

Nov 28, 2018
    I don’t believe your understanding my question. You can’t just pull the trigger and fire. I said you can pull the hammer further back and pull the trigger. So if you rack the slide, hammer is back you have use grip safety to shoot, I’m saying on SR on both I’ve tried. You can pull the hammer back just slightly and pull the trigger without the grip safety. I know how to handle 1911. It’s something I noticed on the Ruger SR that’s obviously different from any other.

20. Chops

Chops New Member

Nov 28, 2018
    Ok problem solved

After reading the post. What’s happening is hammer is is close to touching the beaver tail. So when I pull the trigger back just slightly it actually touches the grip safety just enough to release it.

ZoidMeister, WC145, Kip and 3 others like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted