Undecided on full length guide rod

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by JayBeeKay, Jul 11, 2020.

1. fatbaldguy

fatbaldguy Cranky old curmudgeon

Jul 28, 2017
    I've had 1911's with both. I noticed no appreciable difference. The FLGR did not shoot smoother, did not tame recoil to any noticeable degree. It did make the gun a tad bit (couple of ounces) heavier, a consideration if you're gonna carry it.
    Take down-schmakedown, use the base plate on a magazine to depress the plug and you're golden.
    It really comes down to preference. Some think it has a benefit, some don't.
    They ain't real expensive, neither are the spring plugs, buy one of each and try it out. See what you like, or don't.

Smitty316 and Man of Corn like this.
  2. FatMikey

FatMikey Member

Apr 29, 2020
    I've gone back and forth over the years. My first 1911 came with standard GI guide rod which I ran until I read Bill Wilson's book and he recommended full length so I switched. I never really noticed a difference and over time migrated all my guide rods back to GI. Over the last few years the 2 most knowledgeable gunsmiths I shoot with each independently told me I should be running a full length guide rod because it would cycle smoother, etc. So I tried it again and still couldn't tell much difference, if any. My current thinking is:
    1. If I competed with my 1911 (which I don't) I might consider that full length for a little additional weight in the muzzle to potentially help getting back on the target
    2. If I used my 1911 for concealed carry (which I don't) I would definitely go with GI for weight reduction
    3. Since I'm just a guy shooting my 1911s for fun at the range I go with the GI so I can swap recoil springs when testing reloads and for ease of cleaning when I get home.

3. wrmiller

wrmiller The Tinker

Oct 29, 2016
    This...^^^

Man of Corn likes this.
  4. Kilrb

Kilrb Active Member

May 6, 2020
    I have had all pretty much, Recoilmaster, Standard GI. Personally prefer full length. I have one STI I converted to the Dawson. To me it’s a personal preference...

Uncle Bob likes this.
  5. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2017
    Better things to spend the money on.

6. Uncle Bob

Sep 22, 2017
    I've carried a Series 80 on duty. Even though they were issue, I don't know of any of those Colts that weren't improved. And NO, light triggers weren't allowed, clean search breaks were.

BTW JMB also never figured on a beaver tail. And no, we didn't use hardball. Issue 1911 and 1911A1s are hardball pistols

7. Dwe

Dwe I'm a terminal 1911 Addict!

Sep 4, 2011
    It’s a solution to an unrealized problem.

It’s only benefit is the ability to remove the slide without removing the barrel!

Cop_Out likes this.
  8. Uncle Bob

Sep 22, 2017
    Just take out the slide stop and slide the top end off. It's easier that way. Or get a Dawson

9. FWoo45

FWoo45 Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2017
    Would you be able to properly fit it? That's the real question.

Just some insight from a guy that can shoot better than me.

RSCamaro, Gordy, LEO918 and 3 others like this.
  10. Wildcat Creeker

Wildcat Creeker Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2012
    Am I the only person who has had a recoil spring kink while shooting with a GI style guide rod?

simonp and Man of Corn like this.
  11. Dwe

Dwe I'm a terminal 1911 Addict!

Sep 4, 2011
    I haven’t had an RC kink while I was shooting in 30 years.
    How do you know it kinked when you were shooting?

FWoo45, seagiant and Dub like this.
  12. Dub

Dub born in the wrong century

Mar 19, 2017

I’ve had some kinky shyt occur over the years....and I’m better for it.

Never, however, had my recoil spring join the party.

Maybe I’m just lucky.

Rick McC., Uncle Bob, blamo and 3 others like this.
  13. Wildcat Creeker

Wildcat Creeker Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2012
    Because it locked up the gun in the middle of a string of fire. Had some difficulty removing the slide off the frame it because the spring was kinked in the middle, like a slide lock/thumb safety detent spring only more so. Installed a FLGR and another spring, never had it happen again. I even bent the kinked spring back close to its normal shape the best I could and later installed it back in the same gun with the FLGR and it still did not kink again. The FLGR would not allow it. The Gun was a Wilson KZ45 that I ordered and bought new, I think it was about 2003. If you tell me the spring tunnel of the polymer frame Wilson is not made to the same specs as a metal frame 1911, I may reconsider my opinion, But Wilson sent the gun out with a nylon (?) GI style guide rod.

Man of Corn and wrmiller like this.
  14. seagiant

seagiant Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2011
    Hi,
    I've never seen it?
    There really is no room for the spring to kink, between the GM spring guide and the spring tunnel on the slide?????
    Just sayin, does not really compute?
    How many kinked recoil springs in a GM 1911 in 100 years?
    That's a hard one?
    Just sayin, YMMV!

15. Badabing11

Badabing11 I gotta have more cowbell

Sep 6, 2015
    I kinked one myself by accident while cleaning. I put it back in the gun cause I didn't have a spare. The gun still ran fine .

Dub and Man of Corn like this.
  16. Uncle Bob

Sep 22, 2017

You know, your "Just sayin" and Just playin" are amazingly unhelpful.

Yes we get it, you love original 1911s and 1911A1s, but they're seriously flawed in several ways by today's standard. If they weren't, why was the last 1911 manufactured for the military (USMC) the M45A1 and not a standard 191A1 or Series 70 or 80? Simple issue, a lot of Marines were aware of what it takes to make a 1911 more reliable when their lives are on the line.

Can they kink? YES. does it happen a lot, no. But if it does happen and jams the pistol, someone may well die.

You overlook that 1911A1s being rebuilt towards the end of Vietnam were using substandard parts or just plain out of spec parts because spare parts were running short. You overlook that for combat, the sights on the 1911s and 1911A1s aren't great, even if the staked front sight doesn't fall off when you need it.If you go back, to the early competition shooters with 1911A1 for bullseye, they changed the sights to higher viability sights and that includes replacing the staked on front sights (see below, that's my 1911A1NM)

IPSC? Lower the ejection port, do the ramp, because the 1911/1911A1 design is for hardball, doesn't often do well with other and more accurate ammo like using a 200 grain SWC. We could look at the issues with various hollow points that wouldn't feed well. Obvious High Vis sights or adjustable sights (not including the Ellison sights on a gold Cup that would drop off because of the way they were pinned on).

Obviously a trigger job, Bullseye started with stippling, IPSC started Checkering. You do realize that when you're sweaty, etc etc, 1911s tend to move around in your hands. Collet bushings had to go, they break and jam the pistol. Early on it was Micro bushings or whomever else made them. Most of all better bushing and barrel fit in the slide.

The list can go on for awhile... but you're so out in left field, I'm having a hard time trying to fathom the way you think.

Try getting shot it.... you'll learn to love High Vis sights and a 1911 style pistol that's one h*ll of a lot more reliable than either an original 1911 or 1911A1.

I have a lot of time at a colt repair center. Yes I saw some, especially in 1911A1s. I was one of the SWPL guys that was at a meeting with Colt in 80 or 81 when we had a huge argument with them trying to get things built into a commercial pistol that you find on a lot of commercial 1911 pistols these days.

Remember one thing, if you ever have to use a pistol regardless of the circumstances, you're libel for where those rounds end up... so you want good sights, and 1911/1911A1 original sights aren't great.

Please do us a favor, give it a rest.

Sorry guys... this was just nonsense

DSC01003.JPG

wrmiller and Man of Corn like this.
  17. simonp

simonp Well-Known Member

May 27, 2016
    Never had one in my life

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

FWoo45 likes this.
  18. seagiant

Nov 26, 2011
    Hi,
    Well, looks like I pushed a button, but...

It's not my fault that the US Government didn't spend the money to maintain our Soldiers side arms, seems we have plenty to give away to our Enemies these days???

Not my fault, the US Government, does not want to take the time, money, and trouble to show our troops how to use a side arm!

My problem with people on these Forums is, they push a lot of crap that's suppose to make the 1911, sooooo much better and compete with a Glock, of all things?

If someone thinks a Glock is the greatest then go buy one, see ya, wouldn't want to be ya?

If my posts upset you put me on ignore, I give my opinion to maybe get others to see more than one view and I'm welcome to that, I guess, until the Mods show up anyway!
    9FBCE076-177C-4314-9E09-4F61F74C2E93.jpeg

OldCuz, FWoo45 and simonp like this.
  19. wrmiller

wrmiller The Tinker

Oct 29, 2016
    Everyone is entitled to espouse an opinion. And pretty much all here do. But when someone starts in with the 'well I'VE never seen that so it must be BS' nonsense they can leave that at the front door. But that's just my opinion. ;)

20. seagiant

Nov 26, 2011
    Hi,
    Well you are welcome to that.
    But, did the Owner look at the OEM spring guide and check it???
    I made my living for 40 years working with machinery and there is always a reason something happens?
    Just sayin, the GM 1911 has been around for over 100 years and through 2 World Wars and a few "Police Actions"...
    I think if there was a problem with the recoil system we might just have seen it by now???
    That's all I'm sayin.

studenygreg likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted