Undecided on full length guide rod

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by JayBeeKay, Jul 11, 2020.

1. acesover

acesover Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2018
    I have a one piece rod in mine, along with shok buffs. Never had a problem with either one and I think everyone should put what they want in their weapon and leave it at that. Same thing goes for all the un-needed things like ball cuts, naked slides etc.. If that is what you want, have at it, just don't say everyone else is wrong for not doing it.

2. Dwe

Dwe I'm a terminal 1911 Addict!

Sep 4, 2011
    I thought that the idea of a forum was to share
    Information, tips, ideas and yes even informed
    opinions. Don’t like my opinion, then cast it aside
    and move in whatever direction you see fit.
    But making personal attacks on anyone due a difference of opinion seems uncalled for. IMHO!

DRD, OldCuz, Rick McC. and 7 others like this.

3. jfrey

jfrey Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Oct 10, 2012
    I use FLGRs in my 1911's because I like them. Why, I don't know just like the look. If you like 'em use 'em, if you don't go with JMB's original design. They run both ways.

4. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2017

OldCuz, simonp and Dub like this.
  5. Uncle Bob

Sep 22, 2017
    Now you're assuming.. and from reading your response you have a reading comprehension problem.

Irrelevant

Irrelevant

Feel free to post links for this, you'll never see one from someone like me, I don't bother with striker fired pistols, especially for new shooters and you've also ignored a lot form my last post... doesn't that mean facts trump BS?

You like the classic old 1911s and 1911A1s.. good for you. Don't heap BS on others, it's not any real help.

Assuming again? My issue is with a complete lack on reality on what is and what isn't or what's improved on a classic design which works better. This does include the USMC purchase of the M45A1 which you still chose to ignore.

Yep we got it.. You love classic 1911s and 1911A1s.. but by today's standards they don't hold up. That is a simple fact of life.

I think the USMC is far more qualified than you on the issue or basically anyone that's been in a gun fight with a 1911 style pistol. I have, have you?

Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
    wrmiller and Kilrb like this.
  6. Uncle Bob

Sep 22, 2017

Yep it's why the last military purchase was the M45A1 and not a classic 1911A1. USMC pays attention to what works and works better.

7. Magnumite

Magnumite Member

Feb 20, 2012
    For the OP: I select either one depending on the configuration and intended use of the pistol. I recently installed one in a PO P18-9 game gun simply because it felt light in the muzzle. Brought the balance and tracking to where it should be.

Even notice how many polymer hi caps have guide rods and no one says a thing?

Choose what you like. You won’t know if you like one until you’ve tried one.

Man of Corn, JayBeeKay and wrmiller like this.
  8. Rick McC.

Rick McC. Well-Known Member

May 3, 2013
    I can't say for sure, but you’re the only person I “know” that’s had it happen to them...

9. Wildcat Creeker

Wildcat Creeker Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2012
    I never did figure out why or how it happened. It was a new ISMI 18.5 pound spring. Worked fine for several rounds and then after a shot the slide was stuck about halfway open. Took a while to get it apart. The only thing wrong was the kinked recoil spring.

10. El Perdido

El Perdido Fictional Western Sage

Oct 3, 2011
    A flatwire spring?

11. Wildcat Creeker

Wildcat Creeker Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2012
    No. Regular round wire and a Wilson OEM GI style (nylon?)guide rod.

wrmiller likes this.
  12. OldCuz

OldCuz So, I held this 1911 and then.... Supporting Addict

Mar 22, 2020
    I've tried a flgr and couldn't tell one bit of a difference. Looks weird with slide locked back. Also I had to use a bushing tool to break my gun down. Didn't like that much.
    I say whatever floats your boat go for it. No harm no foul. For myself I much prefer the GI style.

20200408_220321.jpg
    Weird looking.

20200508_214307.jpg
    Not weird. Just sexy..

1911 crazed and Dreadnought like this.
  13. wrmiller

wrmiller The Tinker

Oct 29, 2016
    Saw it happen to a shooter at a Palm Springs match. That was the only time I've personally witnessed it.

When I first started shooting 1911s in competition I asked about them. Then bought one and took it home to my little workbench. Without it, I could hear the spring scraping on the inside of the dust cover at times as it moved around, and with it, I couldn't. Keeping the spring straight during cycling just seemed to make sense to me. So I've been using them ever since.

I'm not trying to convince anyone here, as I really don't care what you guys do. ;) :D

14. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

Oct 30, 2018
    Less is more in a combat pistol??? Well, how about a finely tuner competition pistol, which many top competition pistols are based upon? Can the full length guide rod hurt? If it keeps the spring better aligned, what's wrong with that?

Man of Corn likes this.
  15. OldCuz

OldCuz So, I held this 1911 and then.... Supporting Addict

Mar 22, 2020
  16. DRD

DRD Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 8, 2018
    @Dwe has it right.

However, I may use 3/4 length guide rods, I want everyone to like me. :rolleyes:

17. Uncle Bob

Sep 22, 2017
    They happen

18. Uncle Bob

Sep 22, 2017
    I used them for that tiny bit more weight at the front end. Worked nicely for me

wrmiller and Man of Corn like this.
  19. Dreadnought

Dreadnought Well-Known Member

May 5, 2020
    Why screw up the look of your pistol with that ugly looking guide rod sticking out the front when you retract the slide?

I have my grandfather’s 1943 pistol. It has a GI length, obviously, and it got him through the Battle of the Bulge.

Rick McC., Man of Corn and seagiant like this.
  20. wrmiller

wrmiller The Tinker

Oct 29, 2016
    Really? He actually used it during the Battle? Where exactly? How many rounds did he put through it?

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted