Unknown Build

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by fallenangelhim, Oct 28, 2020.

1. fallenangelhim

fallenangelhim chicken wings

Jan 18, 2018
  2. livinthelife

livinthelife Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2015
    Not without handling first. Thats kinda scary, you could end up with something that looks like a gun, but doesn't even fire. Or worse. But what do I know?

simonp likes this.

3. pscipio03

pscipio03 Fun O' Meter on FULL

Mar 11, 2013
    Nope, not a chance.
    Unless I can test fire it and break it down, I’m not forking out cash for something that could have been Bubba’d.
    I’m also suspect that they list it as a Commander then state the barrel length as 5”. Tells me something about their 1911 knowledge and I’m not going to trust their opinion on how well smithed the gun is.

1911_Bandit and livinthelife like this.
  4. Slapshot

Slapshot Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2017
    Depends on your risk tolerance and budget concerns. Don't bet what you can't afford to lose.

I bought a 9mm Colt Gov't off GB that looked like it might be a sleeper. It had Millet sights, checkered front strap, serrated rear slide, and some other things done to it that made me think it might be a nice used gun. When I detail stripped it the inside was a disaster. Series 80 parts completely missing and no spacer. Group Gripper barrel link and guide rod with a loose bushing. With that said I like a project so I fit a Kart barrel and bushing, Esmerelda grips, Harrison ignition kit, slide stop, and thumb safety. It now shoots good and is a keeper.

1911fanatic, gun_fan111 and nmiller08 like this.
  5. WWB

WWB Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Supporting Addict

Apr 11, 2015
    No way in that one. Quick looks at first pic I see some pretty cheap parts. Looks like someone assembled this out of parts from there spare parts bin. IMO

simonp likes this.
  6. WC145

WC145 Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!

Jan 1, 2013
    Nope. Looks like someone threw that together with odd parts, I suppose you can call that "custom" but I don't see any kind of quality there. Plus, the guy is selling a couple of other 1911s, a Brolin, a Springfield, and a Norinco, that look to have been "customized" in a similar fashion. I'd steer away from him.

7. philk

philk Active Member

May 19, 2020
    C65EC688-2BAE-4456-89D9-FC18C465C994.jpeg Nope, lots of things that I don’t like about that one . But I’m not opposed to no name builds if they call to me like this one.

8. simonp

simonp Well-Known Member

May 27, 2016
    Like others have said I’d run not walk away from that one.

Personally I’ve seen too many supposed “well made / quality smithed” guns that won’t run to gamble on one anymore. Even if the gun has quality parts finding a good smith to undo someone else’s stupid is challenging and frustrating for all - prefer to just start with a blank canvas or a known quantity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

9. pistolwretch

pistolwretch Dremel jockey Supporting Addict

Aug 26, 2011
    In this case, the fitting of the grip safety tells me everything I need to know.

1911fanatic, WC145 and livinthelife like this.
  10. Apollo99

Apollo99 Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2017
    That's a gun you buy off a friend for $300 because he screwed everything up and you are looking for a project.

WC145 and fallenangelhim like this.
  11. gun_fan111

gun_fan111 Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2014
    This one would be a No Go for me. Besides what is mentioned above, pic 2 shows that either the front strap has been screwed up or lower grip bushing is not positioned correctly. Assuming the grip itself is within spec.

fallenangelhim likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted