Unpopular Opinion: I don't care if I only get one mag

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by Smitty316, Mar 26, 2019.

1. Smitty316

Smitty316 Active Member

May 11, 2018
    If we were talking about whatever flavor of the month glock clone everyone wants, I'd prefer to get 2-3 mags in the box, as spares often cost north of $30-40 and are only available from the manufacturer. But if we're talking about 1911s, I'm perfectly happy getting only one crappy low-end magazine in the case.

I see it the most in Kimber 1911 reviews, but I'm sure other manufacturers also include only one mag. Many take it as an insult to their mother that they would pay $700+ for a pistol and only get one magazine, but I would prefer to pay as low of a price as possible for the gun, and then go buy my favorite magazines. Most of us have a preference of one of the big three 1911 mags: Tripp, CMC, or Wilson. Would it really make these reviewers happier to pay $20-$40 more for the gun just to get one or two more generic GI mags?

2. leadfarmer

leadfarmer Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2018
    I learned a long time ago that some folks are never happy. If 6 came with complaining then they were cheap junk....just my 2 pennies

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

3. azguy1911

azguy1911 I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now

Oct 22, 2015
  4. july19

july19 Womb? Weary? He rests. He has travelled. Supporting Addict

Sep 16, 2013
    The first 1911(a CCC)came with two Colt mags. I never used them but I did buy one WC 500 ETM; I liked the interchangeable base pads and easier disassembly and it performed well. I bouught a GI NNC, since it came with two 500 ETM’s all was well. I bought a Valor, used the ETM first and never used the DW mags. I admit there may be better mags but the WC’s work on my pistols with all my reloads. Same story with my NNC 9X19 but I do have a complaint about WC’s use of a loose, plastic filler to compensate for the shorter cartridge. Why couldn’t they weld in a SS spacer?

Old Sea Dragon likes this.
  5. gaijin

gaijin Well-Known Member

May 18, 2015
    If you shoot long enough mags are a non issue as you’ll have a mountain of them for each weapon platform.

Greg45acp likes this.
  6. Babboonbobo

Babboonbobo Avatar is back to my favorite things!

Nov 18, 2014
    Agreed, Nighthawk got me hooked on CMC mags when I got two with my 9mm kestrel and now I have about 30 CMC 9mm mags and those are all I use. Same thing happened with Wilson got a compact CQB that came with two compact 45 mags and now that’s all I buy when I find a good deal.

So yes the only reason now that I need factory crap mags is so I have something to go with the gun if I ever sell!!!

Shocker2000, 1911fanatic and MDP like this.
  7. Yoemen66

Yoemen66 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2017
    Its a crime against humanity on the other forum that Colt only ships with one mag now........

leadfarmer and Greg45acp like this.
  8. InstiGator

InstiGator Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2019
    Yep, pretty much the same here. The only reason I care about more mags coming with a 1911 is that it means more mags going with the gun as a sweetener if I sell it. The factory mags tend to stay in the case when I toss it on the closet shelf. I'll buy Tripps to actually shoot with anyway.

9. 1911fanatic

1911fanatic Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2011
    I couldn’t care less if there is one mag. I like my chip McCormick power mags.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Cop_Out

Cop_Out Pearl Pimp Supporting Addict

Feb 3, 2017
    That's a really good point actually. I never thought about it like that!

11. Greg45acp

Greg45acp Double Secret Banned Supporting Addict

Oct 31, 2016
    If Colt included 3 magazines people would bitch that they aren’t Wilsons or they’d gripe that now they need to buy a new magazine pouch.

Yoemen66 and leadfarmer like this.
  12. dakota1911

dakota1911 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    Can't remember when Colt started to include 2 mags in the old days you only got one. At least that is what I got when I bought a 78 Gov new and a 79 GCNM new.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted