1911 Firearm Addicts banner

Unusual Armand Swenson Custom 1911

Tags
swenson
6K views 20 replies 17 participants last post by  TTAC 
#1 · (Edited)
This one of the most unique Swenson 1911's I have examined. Built on a WW2 production Union Switch and Signal 1911A1, this gun was clearly devised as a bespoke target pistol. It has some unique features I have never seen on a Swenson. This gun was built in the very early '70s (pre-cast Ambi) and exhibits many of Swenson's trademarks like fine checkering, square/checkered trigger guard, hand matting, French border, industrial hard chrome, and handmade speed safety. What it also features is a unique slide/frame positioning system that includes raised pads on the inside of the dustcover and a slotted guide rod head to clear them. The slide is dovetailed and machined for a Colt Elliason sight (A Swenson option per his 1970's catalog). The small sight rib acts as a barrel positioner to limit upward barrel movement and the trigger has an interesting frame affixed pretravel pin. The hard chrome nicely shows off the various levels of spot hardening of a WW2 era 1911. I am pleased to present this unique slice of Custom 1911 Americana.
Carmine Tool accessory
Textile Red Carmine Coquelicot Leather
Metal Iron Thread Silver Aluminium
Tan Material property Metal Kitchen utensil Silver
Red Carmine Maroon Magenta Rectangle
Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Tread Carmine Grey
Text Font Rectangle Publication Coquelicot
Brown Gun Firearm Trigger White
Brown Gun Firearm Trigger White
Gun Brown Firearm White Trigger

See less See more
#3 ·
I am more impressed with the way you articulate about the gun than I am the gun itself.
Well done on both accounts.

#5 ·
In the Grand Old Days did heavy use 1911's crack the dustcover just in front of the frame rails?
Clark used a slide tightener at the end of the dustcover as well.
Did this not further stress the dustcover?

#11 ·
can you take a close up of the stippling on the slide top? I'm in love with it and really want to learn the process. Examining the older guns helps a good bit.

#16 ·
@handforged since no one has answered with how Armand Swenson stippled the top of the slide I guess it is up to me.
Still have three remaining 1911’s of the five Armand built for me.
To do the type stippling he did get several different sizes of chainsaw and smaller rat tail files. Different sizes and grades to use for different textures. Then a 1” diameter piece of brass stock about 12” to 15” in length. Hold the file against the slide top and whack away.
He made what he called the French Border popular as a way to give an even edge to the stippling.
After finishing then sand blast the stippled area to the desired texture.
Practice a bit and add it to your list of ‘I can do that’.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.