Unusual Springfield Professional Wear

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by Milano Tuono, Aug 28, 2019.

1. Milano Tuono

Milano Tuono Active Member

Aug 27, 2019
    Evening, Addicts. New member here with a few new members to the 1911 family.

Point Blur_Aug272019_193154.jpg

I recently knocked a few items off of my 1911 bucket list and snagged a Springfield Professional and full rail TRP.

So far, I've taken them both on two outings. The first was mostly for suppressor ready firearms, so neither saw much action. ~20 rounds each. After a cleaning on both pistols, I took them out for day two. 18 rounds of Sig Sauer 230 grain FMJ target rounds into the Professional, I noticed some unusual marring around the flare of the ejection port. I immediately set it down, got the opinion of the range officers followed by some baffled looks and shrugs, documented the damage for Springfield customer service and put it away.

Point Blur_Aug272019_193636.jpg

20190816_140223.jpg

Disheartened by my $3,700 semi custom I've been chasing for so many years beating itself up, I called it a day and let the buddy of mine I took to the range with me to pick his spirits up have at the TRP. It ate up a good 300 rounds without issue and not so much as a single cosmetic defect. The ol' boy had a helluva time and left the range, targets in hand with ragged holes and a grin ear to ear. His day was made.

After getting home, I emailed Springfield Customer Service with a detailed outline of events and respective photos. I asked if repairs would be in order and if refinishing the slide would be a viable option. They responded quickly and advised I ship it in for a closer look. They ate the logistics fees, which was very nice.

But I got a follow up email from a representative today, stating that their technicians looked it over and determined that the wear was normal. They informed me that refinishing the slide would cost $150 and for the complete pistol, $250, but went on to warn that the damage would only occur again, as this is normal wear from the cases being ejected.

I've owned a handful of 1911 pistols. All Springfields with various finishes and many... many rounds. But I've never seen this before. And with under 50 rounds, this is just unprecedented.

So I wanted to reach out to you. Is this type of wear typical of this model? Of this Black T finish?

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
    xerts1191 and RN47 like this.
  2. Dangerous Brian

Dangerous Brian Pigtails and butter please...

Dec 9, 2013
    Just looks like brass kisses to me. No big deal.

Kevin Rohrer, Dub, Greg6640 and 6 others like this.

3. WWB

WWB Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Supporting Addict

Apr 11, 2015
    It’s brass kisses and the Black T finish is very soft which is why it’s gone already.

Dub and WC145 like this.
  4. duketbrd88

duketbrd88 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2011
    I never had that problem with my pro. That's ridiculous!

I would have a heart to heart with customer service.

5. Howe45acp

Howe45acp Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2017
    I concur with the rest, brass kisses. Just shoot it & forget about em.

Dub and WC145 like this.
  6. pscipio03

pscipio03 Fun O' Meter on FULL

Mar 11, 2013
    Yup, normal occurrence with a 1911 those brass kisses. Could be a number of factors that lead to them, but in the end, it's just part of life.
    Now, let's talk about $3,700 for a PRO. What magic bean deal gone wrong did you go through for that price?

FWoo45, Dub, simonp and 5 others like this.
  7. Milano Tuono

Aug 27, 2019
    I appreciate the input, fellas. I've owned parkerized, Armory Kote and various other finishes, but this one is new to me. If this is par for the course, I won't be pursuing a re-finish. Chalk it up to charisma, I guess.

Lolz. Another part of life for some of us, I suppose. First I'd ever actually seen in person and wasnt letting it get away. It was listed as MSPR at ~$3,500 new before taxes.

Dub likes this.
  8. Milano Tuono

Aug 27, 2019
    No... It was around $3,300 before tax. That's right.

9. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2017
    Not unusual, but... they could in theory tune the extractor. Our competition pistols were hard chromed, we never bothered about that if it happened.

FWoo45, Dub and ZoidMeister like this.
  10. Milano Tuono

Aug 27, 2019
    That is true... It's a hand fitted, polished and tuned extractor, with everything associated with that component from the extractor back to the firing pin stop and slide being fitted, as well. An argument could be made that, especially with such a low round count, brass shouldn't be slapping the slide at all.

Dub and Big Balls McGee like this.
  11. Shocker2000

Shocker2000 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2016
    For reference, this is a Pro with over 2500 rounds. No marks.
    [​IMG]

This one I'm guessing has over 100K rounds. Black T is worn off.
    [​IMG]

1L26, Longbow, Tallerico and 5 others like this.
  12. Milano Tuono

Aug 27, 2019
    They're so beautiful...

13. Ethanol Red

Ethanol Red Make it a double Supporting Addict

Jul 12, 2015
    That's unacceptable for that low of a round count. Something is wrong. Ive had Kimbers with their crappy finish last a lot longer. Its getting hammered by brass, not "kissed".

FWoo45, Dub, Greg6640 and 3 others like this.
  14. Milano Tuono

Aug 27, 2019
    Kim... :sick2: Kimber?! Oh, it's ON!!

I kid. But I came to the same conclusion and relayed to SA CS accordingly via email. I've omitted said emails, names and potentially confidential information out of professional respect. Not that the respect was mutual when they tried to sell us, along with 2A down the Rock River - but I digress on the politics.

15. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Consider my signature line before replying . . . .

Dec 4, 2014
    Bingo, this right here ^^^.

Let's see a photo of the ejector with the slide open. It might be a tad long.

Uncle Bob and Zippy like this.
  16. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2017
    BTW don't feel bad. I just started running ammo through my new range officer. It's doing the same thing.

Not hard to fix.

17. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    Ejector and extractor tuning can fix this. Some pistols do this, some don’t. I’ve never had a quality pistol do this.

**Quality pistol, as in a full custom build or one that has been looked over by a competent pistol smith. I haven’t had the issue with any pistol I’ve bought from the Big Three from Arkansas.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
  18. Flight Medic

Flight Medic Active Member

Aug 5, 2018
    [​IMG]

Wilson Combat suffer from the same affliction...albeit with a tad more than 20 rounds.

Roehl, 1L26 and RN47 like this.
  19. Milano Tuono

Aug 27, 2019
    She's currently in Geneseo. Hopefully they're able to line it out.

20. Gordy

Gordy Member

Jul 10, 2015
    I have several thousand rounds on mine and I can see some of what you are talking about...

[​IMG]

Dub likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted