1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I was cleaning my SW1911TA today that I installed a GI guide rod from Wilson Combat last year and I noticed some unusual localized wear marks on the edges of the section that makes contact with the frame. I wanted to see if this type of wear is characteristic of GI rods or not.
Sleeve Gesture Bicycle part Wrist Thumb
Wood Automotive tire Thumb Electric blue Synthetic rubber

·
Registered
125 Posts
Its making contact with the Vis on the frame.
Most likely self limiting or you could you put back the factory part and see if it happens to that.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Remove the slide and push the guide rod against the the frame flange it seats against. It should seat flat all the way around. From the photo my guess is it doesn’t. The diameter of the boss on the guide rod is a little larger than the cut out of the bore in the frame. I ran into this once or twice with Wilson guide rods.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Its making contact with the Vis on the frame.
Most likely self limiting or you could you put back the factory part and see if it happens to that.
It started out as a FLGR and it didn’t have any wear on it after about 2000 rounds. I switched over last summer and never saw any issues with performance.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Remove the slide and push the guide rod against the the frame flange it seats against. It should seat flat all the way around. From the photo my guess is it doesn’t. The diameter of the boss on the guide rod is a little larger than the cut out of the bore in the frame. I ran into this once or twice with Wilson guide rods.
Yeah the guide rod boss hits that cutout. Do you have any recommendations on a better guide rod? I’d rather stick with the GI for the look.

·
Edge of Glory
166 Posts
Yeah the guide rod boss hits that cutout. Do you have any recommendations on a better guide rod? I’d rather stick with the GI for the look.
I've been very impressed with the quality of the guide rods offered by Nighthawk Custom:

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've been very impressed with the quality of the guide rods offered by Nighthawk Custom:

I’ll take a look at them, do you know how many rounds your’s has?

·
Edge of Glory
166 Posts
I’ll take a look at them, do you know how many rounds your’s has?
I did just the opposite as you, changed all mine from GI to full length. Couple hundred rounds on multiple 45's & 9mm and no sign of wear to date. I really like the bevel Nighthawk has on all their guide rods.

Hand Gesture Finger Font Material property

1 - 9 of 9 Posts