Update 2: Springer slide de-horned

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by zipper046, Sep 28, 2020.

1. zipper046

zipper046 Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2013
    Hmmm...if this comes out duplicate, I apologize. I tried to update my Springer work in progress thread and not sure if it worked.....so, sorry if it did and this is redundant.

UPDATE #2: OK folks...so I went a little wild with FILES this time around....I was tentative to say the least, but took my time and dove right in. I decided to de-horn my slide!

- Chamfered the bottom of the slide at 30 degrees
    - de-horned/chamfered the rear of the slide
    - Flushed the extractor (it was sitting proud)
    - de-horned the front of the slide
    - de-horned the curves from the front of the slide back to the slide rails (not sure what those are called...it's where the ball cuts usually are done)

I don't have a mill on hand, so did it old-school with hand files, patience and a guide I made using wooden blocks with a 30 degree cut on them that I clamped to the sides of the slide. Still need to polish everything up a bit, and eventually the whole gun will be stripped and either Parkerized or Cerakoted....

My cellphone pics aren't great, but here are pics's of the work (my other thread has pics of the sharp edges...)[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. july19

july19 Womb? Weary? He rests. He has travelled. Supporting Addict

Sep 16, 2013
    It looks like you’re headed in the right direction - nice work.

zipper046 likes this.

3. pistolwretch

pistolwretch Dremel jockey Supporting Addict

Aug 26, 2011
    Very nice!
    I'm right now doing the same thing for my personal carry.

FNFAN likes this.
  4. zipper046

zipper046 Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2013
    Thank you very much Sir! No where near the work you produce, Sir....but it is amazing how much better it feels when the sharp edges are knocked off....I was real hesitant to do this by hand, but figured that's where many folks started at one point, LOL. It was fun...and nerve wracking....I think I went through a tin of Copenhagen each time I sat down to work on it! LOL.

Greg M. likes this.
  5. rockittsled

rockittsled Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2020
    Good Job.
    You have to start somewhere and sometime and somehow....you did

zipper046 likes this.
  6. River runner

River runner Well-Known Member

May 4, 2020
    Haha, I hear you on the Copenhagen. Looks like it turned out well in the end. Nice work!

7. Old Sea Dragon

Old Sea Dragon Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2018
    Looks good. You picked a great test bed too, that Springfield has been used. I vote Parkerizing for the eventual finish. It has been calling to me lately.

8. Integrity Arms

Integrity Arms 1911 Pistol Smith

Mar 20, 2017
    Running a file is one of the most important skill sets and one of the most difficult to master, if you ask me.. Keeping an area flat, even and of the same width takes practice and a ton of patience you did a great job, will show more at you buff out the file marks. So, don't put the files away just yet lol.. You might just find you'll need them another time or two throughout the process of finishing this one ;)

cpt. obvious likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted