UPDATE!!!!!!! Les Baer Premier II in 9mm

Discussion in 'Competition 1911's' started by BigAll, Mar 29, 2019.

1. BigAll

BigAll New Member

Nov 6, 2017
    I am considering getting Les Baer Premier II in 9mm. Anyone has experience with LB in 9mm? Are the ammo sensitive? Any info is appreciated

2. boatdoc

boatdoc Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2015
    in for the info. I am thinking I would like one too

simonp likes this.

3. jfrey

jfrey Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Oct 10, 2012
    Can't really say about the 9mm, but my PII in 38 Super is a blast to shoot. Really like it. A PII in 9mm should be a good pistol as Les builds great guns.

boatdoc likes this.
  4. Babboonbobo

Babboonbobo Avatar is back to my favorite things!

Nov 18, 2014
    I had one, actually I had a matched pair of premier IIs a 9mm and a 45acp
    I shot the 9mm and something just didn’t sit right with me and I hated the ambi safety...so much so that I traded both off without even shooting the 45

I recently picked up a Baer lw commanche in 45 to give Les another try.

Glock2740 likes this.
  5. UncleEd

UncleEd Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Is it ammo sensitive to the 9mm? Haven't the foggiest.
    But I know Colts and Rugers aren't. :)

BR549er likes this.
  6. gun_fan111

gun_fan111 Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2014
    Sold my P2 9mm to Babboonbobo and still miss it. I never tried JHP in it but it ate every FMJ I fed it with great accuracy. That being said, I only had one or two range trips with it.

Luckily I still have this to keep me company. Not a single hiccup in 2,000 rounds or so.
    [​IMG]

simonp and stlgecko like this.
  7. stlgecko

stlgecko Gecko Lives Matter

May 24, 2014
    Love shooting this one. Like a fine wine, it’s better as it ages.

gun_fan111 likes this.
  8. july19

july19 Womb? Weary? He rests. He has travelled. Supporting Addict

Sep 16, 2013
    With all the 9 x 19’s being sold by Wilson and others; Wilson should make a 9mm magazine that doesn’t use a plastic filler to properly accommodate the shorter cartridge.

SA_Twister likes this.
  9. CT72

CT72 Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2015
    I have a Stinger 9MM that didn’t like 115gr bullets when I first purchased it. I spoke to Les and he advised me to try a heavier round. I shot some 124gr/147gr rounds and not a hiccup. Since then I’ve started reloading 124gr Blue Bullets and ran a few boxes of 115gr WWB without any trouble. It is laser accurate and almost like cheating with little recoil.

Big Balls McGee likes this.
  10. apipeguy

apipeguy Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2014
    The feel of the PII is different from a standard 1911 as the distance from the backstrap to the frontstrap is longer. Some people do not like the feel of it. For me especially when shooting one hand bullseye I very much like the feel in the hand of my PII in .45.

I would like to get a 9mm specifically for shooting bullseye and the PII is in the top three of my choices. I know a 9mm PII would be a fantastic gun but I have a while before I’ll have the extra cash to buy one and am still not sure what I will get.

If you have not been able to, I would suggest finding a PII to hold and see how it fits your hand.

11. BuckyP

BuckyP Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2011
    I have a Premier 2. When I got it, the follower would jump the slide stop. It did it with several different kinds of mags, including the one that came with it. This was easily rectified with a proper Wilson 9mm slide stop.

Also, my trigger guard was wider than a standard 1911, so it wouldn’t fit in holsters. However, I’ve yet to hear anyone else have that issue, so that might have been an isolated incident.

After fixing both issues, it’s a very fun and nice shooting gun.

12. monadh

monadh Sapientiae Timor Domini Initium

May 8, 2012
    The LB Commanche that I had was very accurate with some manufacturing flaws that did not speak well of the brand. I sold it to get my Guncrafter Hellcat 9mm. Other have found theirs to be flawless.

Regardless of anyone else's experience, decide for yourself. Yours may be perfect.

13. dash

dash Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2016
    I’ve had four Baers in 9mm, still have two. Not a problem with any of them and they’ve all shot any factory load I’ve fed them. Magazines are the weakest link and may need some tweaking to lock back 100% in some guns if using non-factory mags, that’s my only issue and it’s been pretty easy to fix. I personally like the slightly longer grip frame and the 9mms are no where near as tight as the 45s. They shoot as accurately as any semi custom.

14. Cop_Out

Cop_Out Pearl Pimp Supporting Addict

Feb 3, 2017
    Call John at 1911 Heaven and talk to him about it. He's an engineer that worked in firearms manufacturing all of his life. He's an LBC distributor and knows as much about LB guns as Uncle Les does. Plus, if you're looking to buy one he sells them cheap.

Big Balls McGee and Mike Meints like this.
  15. BigAll

BigAll New Member

Nov 6, 2017
    UPDATE!!!!

Got a preowned 2018 production 1.5" PII 9mm on GB.

Cleaned it up and took it to the range 3 times already .
    What a great pistol!

ZERO malfunctions. Two hand hold and one hand hold. The only ammo I shot was FEDERAL 147 HST, Atlanta Arms 115JHP and 115 AMU (FMJ) .

I don't have a ramsom rest available to me , so I benched the gun at 50 yards at shot 2 ten shot groups with Atlanta Arms 115JHP ELITE. Both groups were under 2 inches at 50 yards. half of the shots in each group went into a tiny cluster . So it is DEFINATELY an 1.5" gun if fired from ransom rest. The most amazing group was shot at 25 yards last weekend with old black and white box Atlanta Arms 115FMJ AMU load. Ten shots off the sand bag resulted in a tiny tear on target . Probably a size of a nickel. Will be getting another one soon . Hope it will be just as good. PS. The trigger is not bad , not great . Typical Les Baer factory trigger .about 4LB. I have not problem with it.

16. SA_Twister

SA_Twister Member

Oct 19, 2013
    I couldn't agree with this statement more! I bought some Wilson 920 mags, at least the spacer is metal but they're only 9 round mags. I'm actually fixing to get a couple more because they've worked great in my SA RO Elite. (yes I know this is an LB thread, just throwing my 1.5¢ in on the mag issue)!

17. apipeguy

apipeguy Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2014
    Congrats, bet it is a fantastic gun! A nice trigger job and you will certainly be pleased. Even just a little adjustment of the sear spring alone should get you to 3 1/2#.

1911 crazed likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted