**Update post 1** Off to Novak.......

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by Doc45, Jul 31, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Doc45

Doc45 Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2018
    .....well at least my Colt slide is lol. Getting the megadot orange with dome for the front and the wide notch rear with two tritium dots with black rings. Hope to have it back by the end of next week if past experiences hold true. Stand by for photos.

**Got the call today, paid and the slide is on it’s way back, woohoo**

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
  2. Integrity Arms

Integrity Arms 1911 Pistol Smith

Mar 20, 2017
    White ball didn't work out for ya as well as you'd hoped? I had an HD orange tritium front here as well. Those are very, very visible.

handforged likes this.

3. Old Rooster

Old Rooster Well-Known Member

May 17, 2020
    I’m packaging my 2 slides to go to them tomorrow for mega dot fronts as well. Plain white doesn’t get it done and I agree with whoever said the fiber optic rods are way overdone. And too fragile.

Doc45, Greenrunner and Integrity Arms like this.
  4. Integrity Arms

Integrity Arms 1911 Pistol Smith

Mar 20, 2017
    The orange is very visible. White dot is not for everyone but better than FO or gold bead for visibility imo.

Greg M. and colrhino like this.
  5. handforged

handforged Limestone Canyon Leather and Tool Supporting Addict

May 19, 2020
    I REALLY dig the HDXR from ED Brown, I am having one put on my LB right now. I have something similar on a wilson combat and there is just no missing it on presentation. It sucks you right into that front sight.

gps man, blamo, A45GUNNER and 4 others like this.
  6. Doc45

Doc45 Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2018
    The Gunsite Gov’t came with all black sights. I painted the front orange. My old custom build has the Novak orange front with black u-notch or “ghost” rear. It’s really fast for me to line up from 15 yards in. Anything closer than 5 yards to contact distance I just “silhouette” the pistol on the target.

Past 15 yards and I’m still good for center mass hits though precision goes out the window lol.

I’ll add a pic in the morning of my old yet highly reliable and accurate gun.:D

7. sawman556

sawman556 Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2020
    The big orange dot is night and day over the thin white outline night sight. I put the EB's on my Guardian and it's really helped my 51yo eyes. I'm sure you will be very happy.

[​IMG]

Doc45, TJC357, colrhino and 8 others like this.
  8. Old Rooster

May 17, 2020
    That’s a good sight picture. The orange pops. Looking forward to mine coming back.

colrhino likes this.
  9. handforged

handforged Limestone Canyon Leather and Tool Supporting Addict

May 19, 2020
    I have great eyes and it still helps. It has shaved about half a second on my presentation. In my search for that sub second Mozambique, it ain’t hurting anything I can tell you that. I practice with three one inch pasters at 25 yards. My last hundred round best was 1.4 with three bulls. That is the only small gripe I have is you loose it on an orange background slightly. I shoot low hold, pumpkin on a post for the layman. I have run faster times but I count the hits and the time. If I live long enough I’ll get to three bulls on one inch circles at under a second. At least I hope I will.

blamo and 1911 crazed like this.
  10. Doc45

Doc45 Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2018
    **I had these pics in my postimage folder. When I get the Gunsite slide back I’ll take a better pic of the old gun & the Gunsite side by side.**

Here's the set up on "old reliable"- orange front and ghost rear, both from Novak.

[​IMG]

In all it's glory LOL
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
  11. acesover

acesover Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2018
    I was going to send one of my slides in to get sight dovetails and sights installed, The only problem was one slide is brushed nickel, the other looks parkerized. The gentleman said that they would have to have to have the nickel slide stripped and re=done for an extra 500 bucks, and the parkeized one would need the same thing, only re-parkerized. Really wanted to get new sights put on, but not going to spend that kind of money. To be honest, the guy said he could do the work, but it would be raw metal. I do not in any way fault him as he was very upfront with me. I just didn't want the unfinished metal on the slide to deal with. So now I have a sight staking tool and a sight set. We shall see what happens..

Old Sea Dragon likes this.
  12. Old Rooster

May 17, 2020
    I’ve run into the same issue with hard chromed parts on a pistol I wanted to have refinished. It cost as much to strip them as replace them.

13. Doc45

Doc45 Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2018
    Slide is on it’s way home!

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted