1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I shoot USPSA Limited and picked up a used custom STI Eagle .40s&W a few years back built specifically for Limited Division, at a GREAT deal. It was built with all high end Brazos internals, a Shuemann Ulti-Match barrel, Dawson ICE Magwell, fiber optic front sight, adjustable rear, etc., etc.

A buddy I shoot with picked up a PHOENIX TRINITY all-steel grip to install on his STI, but instead he had a whole new gun built by Adam at Atlas Gunworks (who does great work!). So, I bought the PHOENIX TRINITY grip from him to install on my STI Eagle. After HOURS of filing and fitting, I got the grip to fit. Then, turns out when I swapped over the internals, the STI trigger was sloppy...apparently PHOENIX mills their grips for an SVI trigger bow (slightly different dimensions). BUMMER!

So...I bought a trigger from Adam at Atlas Gunworks made specifically for the PHOENIX grip. Then I find out that my Dawson ICE magwell wouldn't fit (MSH pin holes didn't line up).....BUMMER! So I bought an Atlas Gunworks magwell designed for the PHOENIX grip.

Finally...I got all the parts in, and fit all the parts and finished her up today. Nice crips 3.5# trigger...ALOT MORE added weight with the new grip...and the the texture of the PHOENIX grip is unbelievably GRIPPY without being over-aggressive. It feels GREAT....grips GREAT...

Off to the range for a test run later this week, then to run the crap out of this bad girl!

Obligatory pic's:

OLD:
STI Eagle right.jpg

STI Eagle.JPG

NEW:
new grip left.jpg

new grip right.jpg

TARGETS (shot with the old/original grip):

original sight in (off a rest at 10 yards)
STI sight in.JPG

12 yards slow fire free-standing:
STI 12 yards.JPG

Mag dump at 12 yards (pulled that trigger as quick as I could, LOL!)
STI 12 yard mag dump.JPG

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Most guys really like the PT grips. HArd to find a Plastic grip in the group of guys I shot with.
I'm the last hold out. Went metal then back to plastic! for me I shoot it better (on a timer doing same drills) so that's what I use.
Enjoy it!

Reactions: zipper046

·
Registered
862 Posts
@zipper046 Looks great. How has it changed how the gun feels to shoot? Is there a noticeably softer recoil impulse or a change in muzzle rise? My biggest concern in going to a steel grip is if it will slow me down during the draw or transitions as opposed to a light weight grip.

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@zipper046 Looks great. How has it changed how the gun feels to shoot? Is there a noticeably softer recoil impulse or a change in muzzle rise? My biggest concern in going to a steel grip is if it will slow me down during the draw or transitions as opposed to a light weight grip.
@AJP ...it DEFINITELY changes how the gun feels and shoots. The gun is MUCH heavier, which seriously tames Major .40s&w loads.....shooting .40 MAJOR out of this thing is like shooting 9mm out of my G17.

Not much difference in muzzle rise...BUT the grip has a different index...I found myself shooting high at it's maiden USPSA match...thought maybe something was off with the sights, so I benched the gun and shot off a rest.....dead-nuts on....shot it again...and YUP, I was shooting high....I found that with the Phoenix grip, the shape of the grip (which is similar to a CZ) has a pretty deep BTGS, and coupled with the arch of the mainspring housing and backstrap, was driving my hand up high and changing my index so that I was shooting higher....a few thousand rounds with it and i'll be spot on with it.....

Reactions: AJP
1 - 5 of 5 Posts