1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve got a hankering to have a WWII era 1911 and currently have 3 on my radar. All are basically the same age, condition, and price range. One is a Remington Rand, another is an Ithaca, and the other is a British proof Colt. I don’t really have a preference but want to know what the aficionados would pick and why.

·
Consider my signature line before replying . . . .
14,799 Posts
Anything with Colt on it...

Agree with Sparky. Colts first, then the small manufacturers.

Is the British a .455? Not sure, but getting ammo for that might be more challenging.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Colt, Ithaca, and Remington Rand are classics, and combined made up the vast majority of 1911A1 pistols produced during the war. I've always been partial to the Union Switch & Signal roll mark, and of course the unicorn of WWII 1911A1 pistols, Singer, of which I've only seen one (wasn't for sale).

Overall condition and matching original parts drive price more than anything, as well as whether or not it's been reworked post war, but rarity will be a big price factor for US&S pistols, and especially for Singer.

Published numbers of 1911A1 pistols produced during WWII...

Remington Rand - 878,000
Colt - 629,000
Ithaca - 335,000 - 340,000
US&S - 55,000
Singer - 500

Of course, anything to do with US military firearms is heavily debated. It's a hobby within a hobby for many.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts