USMC Colt M1911A1

Discussion in 'Collector's Corner' started by M1911info, Sep 2, 2016.

Tags:
  1. M1911info

M1911info Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2012
    Here are a few images with information from my web site showing the pistol and doctor I spoke of in another post. I thought I'd shared this here before, but didn't see the thread when I checked.

Anyway, it was nice to read of another Marine who was also wounded at Saipan, but also returned home. I won't bore you with much commentary. I'll just let you see the pictures and see some of the items and documents I received with this rig.

If I recall correctly, "Sully" was about 36 years old when he was awarded the Silver Star. He was a good doctor, committed to taking care of the men.

If you look closely in his medical kit, it's obvious he was doing more than just treating head and face wounds. :)
    http://imgur.com/a/PSNfH

2. Bro. Pappaw

Bro. Pappaw Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2016
    Very interesting pictures. Thanks for sharing.

3. PaulM

PaulM Well-Known Member

Mar 7, 2016
    Cool stuff for sure!

4. deadguy

deadguy Eddie Van Halen Supporting Addict

Sep 7, 2011
    Really, really neat, Scott. I'm sure it's a huge plus for you as a collector to get the backstories and "goodies" that accompanied these old pistols.

5. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    A substantial piece of American military history.
    I thank you for sharing with us

6. PWS

PWS Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 20, 2016
    great stuff, Scott...thanks!

7. switchback

switchback Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2014
    So good on so many levels. Thank you, Scott, for sharing the pics and the history of one of many in the "greatest generation". Knowing many warriors also made sacrifices at many places and at many different engagements and that valor is not known to only one generation; the way the country, as a whole, pulled together is what makes that, truly, the greatest generation.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2016
  8. M1911info

Jul 2, 2012
    Thanks. Yes, while I admittedly do collect pistols, it is the history and the people I find most interesting. When I started collecting these pistols, I was buying from the WWI veterans who'd carry them into the gun shows to sell. Then, it was their children, grandchildren. etc. Went through the same cycle with the WWII vets. It's tougher and tougher all the time to find one with known history. I believe we've gone through the cycle to the point there is a disconnect. Sadly, so many young adults can't even tell you when the wars were fought, what countries were involved, who was President or who our military generals were...let alone anything about their grandfathers' service.

livinthelife, deadguy and dtelston like this.
  9. dtelston

dtelston Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2012
    The provenance on this one makes an already amazing piece just completely over the top cool. So glad you were able to round this one up and share it. Keep doing your thing because you put together some fantastic collections of firearms!

10. UncleEd

UncleEd Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Found it really interesting that our dentist met Carlson of Carlson's Raiders and their attending doctor was the husband of actress Claudette Colbert.

Actor Randolph Scott played Carlson in the 1943 movie "Gung Ho."

11. marsh1

marsh1 Member

Aug 17, 2016
    My father and next door neighbor were on Saipan . One with the marines and the other with seabees . I have the 45 my dad carried and I took to Viet Nam with me . It is made by US Switch and Signal and is one of the best I have ever shot . It is now in a presentation case in my man cave .

wrmiller and colrhino like this.
  12. switchback

switchback Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2014
    Now thats a pistol with Family history. Got goose bumps just thinking about it. My carry was a rack issue 1911A1, but it worked well, many times. Thanks for the post, Sir

colrhino likes this.
  13. M1911info

Jul 2, 2012
    Yes, he rubbed shoulders with a lot of people who turned out to be quite notable....
    Eleanor Roosevelt, Eddie Albert, Carlson and (the husband) of Claudette Colbert. And there were countless others in that "greatest generation" who first served, then went on to achieve stardom in one way or another.

Often, military service is just a bit of overlooked trivia for many. But reading back stories on people in the limelight often reveals more about who they are than what roles they play today. I'm a firm believer, that in many cases, military service builds (or reveals) character.

We've moved from a time when military service was expected. The Selective Service brought many into the service from the wrong side of the tracks and tough circumstances and allowed them to see that they were capable to excelling and achieving, making a difference....things they might not ever have known about themselves if they'd just stayed home in the old neighborhood. Military service provides great opportunities for growth.

One such example was one of my very best friends while teaching at the MP School. I worked with Marine Corps Gunnery Sergeant Paul Meadors. Paul later retired with 24 years of service as a MSGT.

In 1959, Paul enlisted. He told me he was standing in front of the judge on a grand theft auto charge. He had been charged with stealing the police chief's car! :) The only thing that kept him from going to prison was the Marine Corps recruiter standing at his side, telling the judge he thought they could do something with Paul. Well, they did.

Paul had a distinguished military career, serving 3 tours in Vietnam...besides being there on special assignments two other times. The received a battlefield commission his 2nd tour, and went on to attain the rank of Major. He was awarded 3 Purple Hearts and was a Silver Star recipient for his actions in 1968.

On the wall of his office was a framed letter and USMC fighting knife, from the Commandant of the Marine Corps, recognizing him for 25 confirmed hand-to-hand kills. Paul spent a good bit of time as a tunnel rat. One Purple Heart was received for shrapnel wounds from a Chi-com grenade in a tunnel that nearly took his life.

After retiring, Paul was recruited by the CIA and served our country 9 more years. Throughout my life, I've never known a more devoted American warrior. He was a true friend and mentor while working together. In fact, he is responsible for me being a gun collector. Paul took me under his wing when I was about 19 years old and took me with him to gun shows and area flea markets, where we bought and sold guns and he developed the gun collector in me.

I lost track of Paul for several years after I left the service. I finally tracked him down in late 2008, and visited him at his home in TX in early 2009, while on a trip to the Tulsa gun show. We spent a week together, and it was great! We'd both aged some in 30 years, but he was the same man I remembered. He had mellowed some, had served as an ordained minister before once again retiring due to health issues related to his combat wounds and a heart condition.

While visiting with him in 2009, before leaving to go on to the Tulsa show, I took the opportunity to give my friend a gift... a new condition WWII M1911A1. I thanked him for his service, for being the role model was was to me and countless others, and for being my mentor and inspiring me to collect military pistols. Paul had purchased my first couple handguns for me because I wasn't yet 21! A straw buyer! But he trusted me, and I respected him.

Anyway, that gift brought my old Gunny friend to tears. I've given guns as gifts a few times over the years, but I probably enjoyed giving this one the most.
    [​IMG]

Sadly, my old friend passed this past January. He will be missed by all who knew him.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 7, 2016
    Shooter5, wrmiller, Melter942 and 3 others like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted