close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Les Baer UTC with no front serrations, unboxing and observations

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by awmp, Jun 17, 2017.

Tags:
  1. cwoods

cwoods Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

May 12, 2016
    Nice, unbiased write up. Hope she gets running right for you.

2. awmp

awmp Active Member

Apr 27, 2012
    Ok, well after being on the phone all morning I've decided I going to take it to a local gunsmith that I trust to adjust the extractor and try and fix the factory safety.

I'm going to have him file the very sharp edges of the outside of the thumb safety and fix the engagement of the safety.

I was going to use the warranty but the policy is to pay for overnight shipping to the factory and if there is a problem found, shipping back is paid for. The cost for overnight shipping is just too much and I should get my firearm back much sooner locally.

More to follow...

3. azpoolguy

azpoolguy Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Jul 4, 2013
    It is also good to have some one close that you trust to work on your 1911. You never know what may be needed in the future and not boxing it up and shipping it off overtime something needs attention is nice.

cwoods likes this.
  4. tc215

tc215 Active Member

May 31, 2015
    The thumb safety on my UTC was just like you described- had to use both thumbs to push up on it to engage it. It never got any better.

I sent it back to Baer for that and some other issues, and when it came back the TS was still the same.

5. awmp

awmp Active Member

Apr 27, 2012
    I'm not sure what the issue is with the TS but I have talked to several that had the same issue and coming back from the factory with still having the same issue is another reason I'm going to get it fixed locally.

I'm still on the fence about getting the factory TS fixed or just dropping in a Wilson TS. I'm going to talk to my Gunsmith and see what he can do.

Thumb safety and a little adjusting on the extractor and I will be good.

6. cwoods

cwoods Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

May 12, 2016
    That's just ridiculous! That man could nearly double his money if he'd offer a few custom options and take care of cs/malfunction issues. Hate to hear of they didn't take care of you.

7. 605atthe wheels

605atthe wheels In the staging lanes Supporting Addict

Oct 19, 2012
    These issues are Un-BAER-able. I can't believe it got out the door.
    I don't own or desire to own a L.B. I can't explain it, they just don't excite me. (But I GET that some peeps LOVE them)
    I hope the OP gets it all sorted out by his local Smiff.

Sterling Archer and Glock2740 like this.
  8. Robert F. Ciancio Jr.

Robert F. Ciancio Jr. I'm just glad to be here!

Jun 25, 2014
    I am no expert by any means, but, I had the same TS issue with a gun of mine. It was extremely difficult to engage and disengage. I disassembled the gun and found that the TS spring, in the tube, was crimped. I hear that sometimes this is done on purpose to tighten up the spring in the tube to make the TS a little more stiff. Anyway, I took plyers and straightened the spring, reassembled everything and it works great now. Might want to try that.

awmp likes this.
  9. awmp

awmp Active Member

Apr 27, 2012
    Robert had mentioned above about the spring in the thumb safety, good thought.

Well I had a slight change of heart in what I was going to do.

I was so disappointed with the Baer factory thumb safety I ordered a Wilson Bullet Proof Blue thumb safety and a new Wilson Plunger Assembly as well. They both showed up today. My thinking was if my Gunsmith can't get the factory thumb safety to work properly I would have a new part just to hand to him.

So I was looking at the pistol today and thought I should just try to change out the plunger with the new one I had just received in the mail. [​IMG]

The new (WILSON COMBAT - 1911 AUTO "FACTORY PLUS" PLUNGER SPRING ASSEMBLY) worked. The Baer thumb safety is perfect ! I was bouncing around with joy!

A less than $5.00 part made the factory thumb safety function flawlessly. I compared but the old and new plunger and could not tell any visible difference, but I can tell you it worked like a charm.

Wilson Combat also has a really good extractor adjustment video on You Tube. I did a very very slight adjustment to the extractor.

By all accounts it should be good. This weekend at the range will prove it one way or another.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017 at 8:20 PM
    txhorns, PMC, gun_fan111 and 2 others like this.
  10. straitR

straitR Member

Nov 26, 2014
    Good news, all around. Looking forward to the range report.

11. 605atthe wheels

605atthe wheels In the staging lanes Supporting Addict

Oct 19, 2012
    Indeed good news...BUT, it still should never have left the building (especially since others have claimed the same TS issue). I hope you get many years of enjoyment from it now.

George

Sterling Archer and awmp like this.
  12. Ash17

Ash17 New Member

Apr 4, 2017
    Nice looking LB. The safety on my PII was really stiff as well when new and had me a little worried. I've got 1500 rounds through it now and it did get easier to operate. And I sort of like the feeling of the still really solid, positive engagement after break-in; safety stays put in my thumb-break holster. Thanks for the tip about the Wilson spring.

13. Sterling Archer

Sterling Archer Codename Duchess Supporting Addict

Aug 30, 2015
    Glad it was resolved! It's really disappointing to see a gun maker that won't stand behind their product.

605atthe wheels likes this.
  14. awmp

awmp Active Member

Apr 27, 2012
    Not that they will not stand behind it, they will. I did not want to pay the close to $100.00 overnight shipping (one way) and have it there for sometime to be evaluated.

I did not want to pay the money for shipping and did not want to go without a new pistol I had just received.

I'm glad I replaced the plunger spring and was going to take it to a local gunsmith I trusted.

Taking it to the range tomorrow. I believe the FTFs I had were as a result of the extractor being just a little loose, just a slight adjustment was made, I will know tomorrow if we are good to go.

azpoolguy and Pennywise827 like this.
  15. july19

july19 Womb? Weary? He rests. He has travelled. Supporting Addict

Sep 16, 2013
    You have a fine looking heater but the safety must be a pain two ways.

16. GeorgiaRedfish

GeorgiaRedfish Neighborhood kitty snuff yard

Aug 19, 2011
    Sorry to hear about these issues, and it's a shame they don't pay for your shipping. That gun shouldn't have left the factory and now they expect you to pay shipping back to them? At the price point they charge I expect a little more

Sterling Archer likes this.
  17. straitR

straitR Member

Nov 26, 2014
    I had a similar issue with my TRS stock TS. I'm sure I could have sent it back to LB and had them fix it, but instead of spending the shipping money and waiting months to get my new gun back, I ordered a replacement part and installed it myself, saving money in the process. I could have fixed the original TS engagement, and knocked down all the sharp edges, but I prefer the size and feel of the Wilson BP part, which matches my 9mm Wilson CCP.

I don't see LB as a company who won't stand behind their product. They're not as accommodating as Wilson Combat, in my experience, but very few companies are. If you want that level of service, it comes with additional cost.

I'm quite happy with both of my WC and LB pistols.

18. Sterling Archer

Sterling Archer Codename Duchess Supporting Addict

Aug 30, 2015
    A company that charges you to ship back a product that should never have left the shop in the first place, is not one that I would say stands behind their product. That's just me though.

Springfield is cheaper than LB and will pay incoming shipping costs. SIG, Stoeger, even Kimber have paid my shipping costs and they're all much less than a Baer.

Don't mean to derail. As long as you're happy with it awmp, that's all that matters! :)

Weiker and GeorgiaRedfish like this.
  19. straitR

straitR Member

Nov 26, 2014
    No derail, since it's germane to OP's issue, and no arguments from me. Just differing opinions on the technical definition of "standing behind their product". FWIW, I've heard LB paying return shipping if you ask for it, and in some cases, insist on on it, for the same reason you stated. Plenty of companies "will" or "have" paid for return shipping, but VERY few simply offer it as standard whenever you have an issue. Wilson Combat is one of them, no questions, and I can attest to it. SAI and Ruger are two that I know will also, and I've had S&W send me a shipping label. Glock will fight you about it, but will give in. Sig has been hit and miss, IME, and has some of the worst CS stories I've ever heard when I worked in the industry. A lot of times, it's who you get on the phone.

Companies paying for you to return their items for warranty repair is not standard in any industry. We should be happy so many firearms companies will do it at all, since it cost a lot more to ship a pistol Next Day or 2nd Day Air than it does a knife, a watch, or a tennis racquet via USPS or UPS ground.

I think we're in agreement though, because if he wanted his TS fixed, or mine for that matter, I would have insisted they pay the return shipping. If you buy your Baer's through John, he will help facilitate this as well.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2017 at 3:36 PM
    TexasBB likes this.
  20. awmp

awmp Active Member

Apr 27, 2012
    Agree with several points in the above posts.

My other 1911s are Wilson's, why, I love their pistols and they have great customer service.
    Ruger and Smith/Wesson have good service as well, slight issues in the past but all paid shipping both ways and I did not have to fight for it.

I did buy my pistol via John (not my first one from him and I'm sure not my last, great guy). I talked to John and for the fixes we agreed it would be a faster turn around and cheaper if done locally.

Do some products cost more , yes, but I'm finally at a point in my life I can save and pay for what I want. I support places that still offer good customer service and will go out of my way to do so. For some reason a lot of companies have forgotten how important customer service is.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2017 at 3:25 PM
    straitR likes this.
Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted