Vacation time

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by knedrgr, Oct 19, 2011.

1. knedrgr

knedrgr Low capacity, low tech...

Aug 15, 2011
    So the year went by kind of fast and work has been hectic. So I have been putting off taking some vacation time. And this year, work won't let us roll it over. So I have 136 hours to take until 12/31.

Finally put the request in yesterday....and I'll be mostly working a 3-day work week, for the rest of the year... :nod:. Welcome 4-day weekends. :thumb:

2. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Schütze

Aug 17, 2011
    We can only roll over the standard accrual, so for me that's 25 days.. For the last few years I make a point of keeping it at a minimum. Best to use it along the way than take a lump some buyout when you retire.. Three day weeks sound good.. Lots of shooting time.. Cheers.. Ron

3. buyobuyo

buyobuyo Member

Aug 25, 2011
    Very nice. I'm sitting on almost 81hrs right now. I'll have around 24hrs at the end of the year, since I'm taking an extra 3 days off for Thanksgiving and an extra 4 days at Christmas. I'll be off for 2.5 weeks at Christmas/New Year.

4. Chris

Chris YOU ****!!!! Supporting Addict

Aug 17, 2011
    Dang, my employer sucks compared to you guys... 10 days vacation and six sick days per year. Can't accrue vacation or sick time. Burning through my last five days this week.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2011
  5. 230gr

230gr Active Member

Aug 23, 2011
    I have 40hrs starting next Monday...5 days off!

6. Quack

Quack it's mmm, mmm good... Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    I have something like 210 left and I've already taken 5+ weeks off this year.

7. knedrgr

Aug 15, 2011
    The best part, it starts again on January 1st...120hrs for the year. :whoo:

8. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Schütze

Aug 17, 2011
    Dude.. You get 12 weeks vacation every year?? Ron

9. Quack

Quack it's mmm, mmm good... Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    I get almost 6. The rest is carry over from before.

10. Mechanized

Mechanized He's a large "member" Supporting Addict

Sep 24, 2011
    Im sitting on 330 sick hours and only 84 hours of annual leave after deployment. I never really get comfortable until I have over 100 hours of annual. I do love to use it.

11. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Schütze

Aug 17, 2011
    The state won't pay me for sick leave unless I use it.. It will continue to accrue with no limit and it will add to retirement credit, but they won't buy it out.. I figure it's best for me to keep it pretty low.. Ron

12. Chris

Aug 17, 2011
    Makes sense to me Ron. I can't accrue vacation or sick time, so every day gets used each year. I loved a previous gig that allowed both to accrue. Never took time off and cashed it in for some play money a couple times a year.

13. minderasr

minderasr Member

Aug 20, 2011
    I like taking 3 day weekends in the summer. This year it was July.

14. knedrgr

Aug 15, 2011
    I wish my company would do that.

15. Chris

Aug 17, 2011
    I should clarify and say I cashed "some" time in. I always left a few days available in case I was really sick, but I would have needed to be close to deaths door to call in. Really nice way to buy a toy or two and not take a hit to the bank accounts.

16. sjd78

sjd78 Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Sep 29, 2011
    I get 4 weeks vacation, 13 paid holidays and 12 paid sick days per year. We can accrue and keep on the books up to 75 days of vacation and 120 days of sick leave.

17. buyobuyo

buyobuyo Member

Aug 25, 2011
    We get 15 days of vacation and 15 days of sick each year, and we can accrue 30 days of vacation and 130 days of sick leave. There are also 10 paid holidays. If I stick around for another 4.5 years, I'll get 21 days of vacation and sick each year. :whoo:

We also have the option to accrue sick leave like normal during the year and then have a check cut for anything over 600hrs at 50% of our pay rate. I haven't had to worry about that yet because I've barely broke 300hrs here and there. I'll usually take a sick day instead of vacation if I'm taking a day off to get my truck serviced or if I feel like I need a three day weekend. I also broke a couple of fingers at work last year and was off for 2.5 months, and I used sick leave to make up the 33% or whatever that work comp doesn't pay.

18. Wheezy

Wheezy Bullet Banger Supporting Addict

Aug 31, 2011
    What's vacation?

19. CMG

CMG Member

Aug 20, 2011
    We can carry over 18 time our Monthly Accrual. My monthly right now is 17.4 hours so that means I can only carry over 313.2 hours.

My current balance is only 200.2 so I'm good to go! (Took alot of time off this year).

20. CanIhaveGasCash

CanIhaveGasCash Member

Sep 11, 2011
    I accrue 175 hours a year, most of which is because I don't get holidays off. I can also earn an extra 16 hours a month when I work grave yards. I've got 330 hours of vacation and 200+ hours of comp time. I think the max I can roll over is 500 hours of vacation.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted