1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks. Wanted to post a quick review on a transaction I just completed with Mr John at Harrison Design. First in summary it was awesome. What a great guy to deal with and a great smith! I have a 2017 Valor that I purchased used. Gun was in great shape, spotless, and very low round count. However, the front sight was all but gone to my older eyes. The lamps were fine, but the white outline was shot. I tried to refill it a few times but didn’t last and still couldn’t see it very well. It had also worked loose in its dovetail for whatever reason. Warranty was not an option with Dan Wesson, and honestly I just wanted/needed to go a different route. I also knew that Dan Wesson could have changed out the sights but having heard so many good things about John, I decided to check with him. Although I’m a retired SWAT officer who used 3 dot Glocks for the better part of two decades, for the last 5 years I’ve exclusively run 1911’s. After speaking with John we decided to go with the HD massive yellow/green dot front, and his 170 size U notch rear. I could not be happier. It’s a fast sight, can see it better than anything I’ve ever experienced before, and the workmanship was outstanding. Very happy customer for sure. Thanks John! Pics to follow.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The prices may differ depending what gun and what particular sight you want, so probably best to check that out on the website or let John give you the quote, but the turn around was considerably fast I thought. Also let me add that I only sent my slide to him. He insured it and packaged it extremely secure and padded. Very professional.

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
I’ve purchased parts from him. They are excellent. I absolutely love his triggers, with the set screw on the back of the trigger. I have a 14 or 15 valor, the sites are starting to go dead. I will keep this in mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Definitely. Like I said it wasn’t so much the lamp itself but more the outer ring. The lamp by itself, at least to me, is useless in day or even dim light. I also noticed I was looking past the rear dot all together and decided for my application I’d just go for the U notch all black. Another thing I should point out is the 170 wide rear notch. Although I originally thought it would be too wide and lend itself to too much variation in windage, I went with John’s recommendation. Glad I did. My concern was eliminated upon the first draw and presentation on target.

·
I do not consent.
1,428 Posts
I had John work on several of my guns - sights, trigger, thumb safety, stuff like that - in the past. Always a great guy, always good work. I like his parts, he’s very helpful with advice and ideas when you purchase parts. I had a front sight that broke (one he installed) once and he was good on the warranty, too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
77 Posts
Beautiful job. While sending only the slide to John, how is the POI when shooting? Is the wind age close/correct?
Thank you

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Another very good question. So short answer yes. The sights were centered in the slide and for me it was on POA/POI. He does however leave the loctite up to you, and sends instructions(actually posted on his page) exactly what to do if you need to make adjustments. The sights are perfectly fitted and tight when you get them. Honestly not likely to ever go anywhere. But once you are satisfied with your zero, BLUE loctite down the screw and I also ran a bead around the seams.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts