1911 Firearm Addicts banner

Used Guardian or NIB Valor VBob Duty Coat?

• Used Guardian

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • NIB Valor VBob Duty Coat

Votes: 13 92.9%

Valor VBob or Guardian

3K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  clickbang52 
#1 ·
As the title states, if you could buy 1 Dan Wesson in 2021, would you buy a used Guardian, or a NIB duty coat Valor VBob? Price difference pre-haggling is $150, meaning the NIB Valor Bob is $150 more. I don’t mind waiting on shipping for the used Guardian, and the Valor VBob would be a long round trip drive, but another fun day date with my wife. I’m torn between the two, but know I want to try a bobtail this purchase. I like the idea of the alloy frame Guardian for carry, but I’m used to carrying a Colt Combat Commander or LB Stinger. Both are 45acp. I’m new to Dan Wesson, and would like input from those who own them. Thanks in advance.

#5 ·
I have a .45 guardian... With that said, if I was doing it over and given your choices, I'd get the v-bob in .45. it's NIB at a negligible price difference and will soak up, 45 recoil better than an alloy frame. Then buy a Guardian in 9mm or better yet .38 super!!

But it's your call, I've been happy with every DW I've touched...YMMV

#7 · (Edited)
There's no bad choices here. I'd be tempted to get both just so I wouldn't have to make a choice. We are Addicts after all aren't we?
Currently, my only DW is a stainless 45 V Bob which has been an excellent gun. It exhibits a quality of build that I never expected in a production 1911.
I've had other guns shorter than 5" and some longer, this is the only one I felt I need to keep. All of my 1911's except this one are 5" guns.
Best wishes.

#8 ·
I am more of a Government guy, to the point where out of the 20 odd 1911s I own, all but two are Government sized, and one of those that isn't is a long slide. But the sole shorty of the bunch is my 10mm VBOB. I got it because I wanted something slightly more concealable in summer attire. I didn't think I would like it very much because it is both a Commander and a bob. But it is absolutely fantastic. A joy to shoot. It definitely moves more under recoil than my other guns, but not by much, and follow up shots are a lot faster than I expected. I usually take it with me to the range and run 4 or 5 mags through it once a month, which is something I only do with guns I truly enjoy. So survey size of 1, I say go with the VBOB.

#9 · (Edited)
Your only choice here is to decide what to get first!😎

#11 · (Edited)
I have the Guardian in 9mm and really love it. I personally don't feel that much difference in the alloy frame as far as recoil but really like it's light weight. I've never shot or held the Valor before but I think the price difference is minimal seeing that it's brand new, I think I would go with the Valor. Only because of the fact that it's brand new and would be covered by the warranty in case you need it. But you probably can't go wrong with either. Look at it like this. The MSRP for both being NIB, price difference is a lot more than $150.00.

#13 ·
How much are you going to shoot it? IF a little get the aluminum pistol if or you're recoil sensitive and are going to shoot it a lot get the steel one.
I'm the V-Bob generation cause I prefer the steel gun. For no logical reason!!!! With that said I'm always looking for Alum 9mm commanders "go Figure"
Make sure and post pictures !!!!!

Reactions: bluelund79
#16 ·
You’re really only talking about minor differences:

Frame material
Mainspring housing
Sights
Weight (approx 8oz)
The VBOB is their “flagship bobtail”.

The frame and weight difference are tied directly.
I prefer a textured MSH, but that can be changed easily (Guardian is smooth)
I prefer the sights on the Guardian, but that, too, is easily changed.
My Guardian is as nice as I could imagine a 1911 being. Mine is old, though (pre-fire).

#17 ·
Okay, highjacking, or maybe just detouring this thread for a bit...I'm in the same boat...Considering a ECP vs Guardian vs V-Bob in 45ACP. Currently have a ECP and Guardian both in 9.
Something about the ECP, likely the bull barrel that make it seem to have such a mild recoil, maybe even softer than the Guardian which is already sweetnsmooth. I seem to shoot my best groups with it (ECP) but not 100% on that. I'm wondering if that "bull barrel advantage" I'll call it, translates to 45aCP to the extent that the extra 8oz of a V-Bob doesn't make much difference. Realistically, if I got a V-Bob, it probably wouldn't be for CC.

Thoughts? (other than I'm overthinking it ;-)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.