How did it shoot for you ?

Ammo used?

Distances ?

Impressions of the gun ?

Looks great.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Nice. Makes me want to get mine out and hit the range this evening.

Reactions: Dub

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I shoot federal red box range ammo. The pistol has more accuracy potential than I am capable of. I mostly shooting at 15 yds. When all goes right I’ll get some really tight groups ( see new pic ), but aging eyes and arthritis make groups like those above the norm rather than the exception.
One day at the range there was a guy older that me shooting a 1911 custom built pistol with his hand loads. He was an impressive shot, said he used to compete and asked to look at my pistol. He felt it was a nicely fitted gun but said it would benifit from a trigger job. He asked if I wanted to see how it would do with his hand loads and I said it would be a waist with my skill set and he asked if he could put a mag through it. He did with his loads and shot one ragged hole. That’s how I know it is capable of more precision than I can muster out of it.
My impressions overall are favorable, on both the weapon and DW service. I had a finish issue when I got the pistol that I didn’t initially notice and they made good on it. Later the rear site came loose and even though I used a Snap On Allen wrench it stripped out, they mailed me a new set screw no charge. The fit of the pistol is tight and well finished, especially considering it’s a production gun.

Attachments

·
Registered
86 Posts
Appreciate OP's comments. I'm going to the range for my first shooting session with my DW Valor tomorrow. My impression of this pistol is very positive so far. And I like the small cut on the back of the slide stop, which keeps the lever lined up with the plunger and helps prevent the idiot mark on the frame (I take it that most 1911's now come with this small cut or groove for aligning the SS, but it's new to me). Overall fit and finish is excellent.

This is my first 1911 since the Colt Mark IV Series 70 I bought back in the first half of the 1980's. A beautiful gun but a jam-o-matic that I couldn't get to work reliably with JHP or even ball ammo. I sold it after a year of frustration. I had a 1911A1 issued to me in a couple of units and they worked but required a lot of LSA to keep them wet and a lot of slaps on the back of the slide to get them to go into battery.

I too swapped out the gray/black VZ grips that came with the Valor for the VZ's in the color shown in the OP's picture, "Black Cherry," which looks much like dark wood.

·
born in the wrong century
5,912 Posts
Appreciate OP's comments. I'm going to the range for my first shooting session with my DW Valor tomorrow. My impression of this pistol is very positive so far. And I like the small cut on the back of the slide stop, which keeps the lever lined up with the plunger and helps prevent the idiot mark on the frame (I take it that most 1911's now come with this small cut or groove for aligning the SS, but it's new to me). Overall fit and finish is excellent.

This is my first 1911 since the Colt Mark IV Series 70 I bought back in the first half of the 1980's. A beautiful gun but a jam-o-matic that I couldn't get to work reliably with JHP or even ball ammo. I sold it after a year of frustration. I had a 1911A1 issued to me in a couple of units and they worked but required a lot of LSA to keep them wet and a lot of slaps on the back of the slide to get them to feed.

I too swapped out the gray/black VZ grips that came with the Valor for the VZ's in the color shown in the OP's picture, "Black Cherry," which looks much like dark wood.

Sounds great. Hope your range trip is awesome.

As far as that handy notch, all my DW have them, none of my SA or Colts do.

It sure is handy.

Reactions: RoverSig

·
Registered
86 Posts
My first range trip with the DW Valor was great. 200 rounds 115 grain 9mm - no malfunctions. The pistol shot effortlessly. The pistol soaks up the 9mm recoil. Point of impact about 2" low and 2" left at 10 yards. That could be me... will work on that on my next trip. Very happy with this pistol.

·
Premium Member
1,584 Posts
The Valor will probably be my next. All I hear and read are good reports. Glad you are happy with it.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Back from the range and cleaned up ready for more. DW Valor 9mm (2017 production date) with VZ grips View attachment 479131
Looks like your pistol is the duty finish, hence the gray grips. These are stainless vs carbon steel of the blued pistols. If I recall they were about $250 more than a blues version when I got mine. nice pistol with a very durable, attractive finish.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts