1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently picked up an old 1911 from a relative. It was a rusty, sticky P.O.S. I took it apart and cleaned it up, now it's in decent condition. I was thinking about having it refinished and buying some new parts for it but I thought I should look up the serial number and see what I actually have before I started messing with it. According to the S/N (C31xx) it's a Colt commercial production frame from 1913, but the slide says Remington-Rand. I have no interest in getting rid of it one way or another, I'm just wondering if I should put it in a display case or turn it into a shooter. Any advice or information would be appreciated.

·
Consider my signature line before replying . . . .
14,799 Posts
Reactions: FWoo45

·
14,799 Posts
I recently picked up an old 1911 from a relative. It was a rusty, sticky P.O.S. I took it apart and cleaned it up, now it's in decent condition. I was thinking about having it refinished and buying some new parts for it but I thought I should look up the serial number and see what I actually have before I started messing with it. According to the S/N (C31xx) it's a Colt commercial production frame from 1913, but the slide says Remington-Rand. I have no interest in getting rid of it one way or another, I'm just wondering if I should put it in a display case or turn it into a shooter. Any advice or information would be appreciated.

Let's see, mismatched frame and slide + rust / lack of finish = SHOOTER !

Value = $500 - $600 (+/-) depending on condition.

Just because it's fugly, doesn't mean it cannot perform.

NH Trigger - 16.JPG

Z

Reactions: KS95B40 and FWoo45

·
Premium Member
2,072 Posts
All kinds of funny stuff with that frame. Don't know what it is but I suspect it's not a Colt frame. Too many alarm bells to be an early, very early, frame.

·
1911 lover
875 Posts
Tha 1911A1 frame (which you have got) was not adopted until 1926. Not an early colt.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Ok, first things first, NOT a Colt frame! mtodd is right, 1926 frame, early hammer, later mainspring housing, looks mix and match, which a lot of actual military guns are after Factory Through Repair (FTR), but I SERIOUSLY(!!) doubt this is, or ever was, an actual military gun. If it were mine and I wanted to shoot it, I'd keep the Rem. slide and put a new after market slide on it. Why? The military slides are spot hardened and will wear out fairly quickly and the Remington Rand slide is worth as much as the rest of it is, realistically.

OK, the grips are GREAT! Love the grips! The rest of it? Not so much. Best guess? Someone made the frame and added real parts. Friend of mine has a Nam bring back that looks a lot like what you got, some one made a frame, marked/serial numbered it (badly), added parts, actually works but I won't shoot it either.

Value? Parts value only. Slide most valuable and find a collector who needs a Rem Rand, couple hundred TOP! Sell the mainspring, hammer, trigger on Ebay as military parts, maybe barrel too, didn't see good shot of barrel markings, grips are great, they should do will on Ebay too. If I was buying this for me, maybe $250, maybe $275 if it has some military parts I need/want. Possibly ZoidMeister has a better grip on prices.

·
14,799 Posts
Value = $500 - $600 (+/-) depending on condition.

Just because it's fugly, doesn't mean it cannot perform.

Z
@hawkins1120 ,

Okay, I'm going with the guys above on the frame. Definitely not military or a Colt.

It might be VERY interesting to see both sides without the grips on that one. Might tell more of the story.

Oh yeah, your original subject line and question was "Valuable or not?"

I'm going with NOT, with extreme prejudice.

Revised Zoidian valuation - $350 to $450, max.

Z

Reactions: KS95B40 and FWoo45

·
14,799 Posts
I thought I should look up the serial number and see what I actually have before I started messing with it. According to the S/N (C31xx) it's a Colt commercial production frame from 1913, but the slide says Remington-Rand.
BTW,

The photos below are from my 1917 Colt Commercial. These are photos from when I traded for it. The obscuring of the serial number was by its previous owner.

I post these to give you an idea of the font Colt used on their early Commercial frames. Obviously, your frame looks radically different.

Given the grips, if I had to hazard a guess on yours, I would guess that the slide may have been taken from a military gun sometime during the Korean War. Given that the original frame would have been marked U S. PROPERTY, I am guessing that someone discarded the original frame and mated whatever remaining parts to a frame of Korean origin. That would date the frame post 1911A1 manufacture, as is the slide.

You can see that the trigger opening in my 1917 Commercial does not have the A1 scallops like your more modern frame has.

This is just a guess.

Z

Colt 1917-009.jpg

Colt 1917-010.jpg

1 - 20 of 25 Posts