1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 205 Posts

·
Banned
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As with any manufacture of any product I am sure various manufactures tend to have certain strengths and even weaknesses.

Some for instance are known for excellent customer service where others not quite so much. For example it's my understanding and experience to this point that Wilson Combat has excellent customer service.

Then again I've read but not seen in person that Ed Brown is known for the best looking SS . Maybe for some not so important but then again many who decide to get one probably do so in part for that very reason.

Are there any which are the easiest or hardest to work with? Provide the most or least options? Are known to be the best craftsman? Better delivery times? Better at fit and finish? Best or worst warranty?

Anyway when considering which manufacture to go with I am sure there are many factors that every one considers and I figured I would see what everyone believes these various manufactures may excel at.

·
A meat popsicle I am
1,151 Posts
As with any manufacture of any product I am sure various manufactures tend to have certain strengths and even weaknesses.

Some for instance are known for excellent customer service where others not quite so much. For example it's my understanding and experience to this point that Wilson Combat has excellent customer service.

Then again I've read but not seen in person that Ed Brown is known for the best looking SS . Maybe for some not so important but then again many who decide to get one probably do so in part for that very reason.

Are there any which are the easiest or hardest to work with? Provide the most or least options? Are known to be the best craftsman? Better delivery times? Better at fit and finish? Best or worst warranty?

Anyway when considering which manufacture to go with I am sure there are many factors that every one considers and I figured I would see what everyone believes these various manufactures may excel at.
:eek: Oh my God...they killed Kenny...you bastards!!!....uh...I mean...skip the boots and grab the waders...opinions incoming!!!:poop:

...oh, and Wilson Combat seems to have the best combination of your search...:spam:

·
Banned
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
:eek: Oh my God...they killed Kenny...you bastards!!!....uh...I mean...skip the boots and grab the waders...opinions incoming!!!:poop:

...oh, and Wilson Combat seems to have the best combination of your search...:spam:

With only 4 1911s and only 3 of them being semi custom and all of those being Wilson Combats for my money I would agree at least up to now. However that doesn't mean I don't want to hear what others have to offer. In fact at a point no matter what it is it's always good to hear what else is out there and what others have experienced.

Besides opinions abound about most everything but it would be interesting to see if there any things that most would be able to agree too as well.

·
Sapientiae Timor Domini Initium
1,530 Posts
I've heard things about Pistol Dynamics producing some very nice pistols. I have no experience with them, but there was a lot of discussion regarding them a few months ago.

:popcorn:

Honestly, I have had great experience with Guncrafter, but the person who made Guncrafter so good to do business with has moved on to greener pastures. It will be interesting to see how they do going forward.

·
Banned
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've heard things about Pistol Dynamics producing some very nice pistols. I have no experience with them, but there was a lot of discussion regarding them a few months ago.

Honestly, I have had great experience with Guncrafter, but the person who made Guncrafter so good to do business with has moved on to greener pastures. It will be interesting to see how they do going forward.

Interesting but they do appear to be a bit new to the game and that would concern me. Not that they couldn't do a good job just that I would have more concerns with a new business where an established business would provide me with more comfort as to what they have done in the past and even more so what I could expect if I should have an issue later on.

Besides are they known for anything in particular besides just making another 1911?

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
Like anything in life you have to set goals. You should plan on buying one of each over a period of time. Then do a complete review of each and post it in this forum. Then post them in the classified section for half of what you paid for them.

·
Banned
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Like anything in life you have to set goals. You should plan on buying one of each over a period of time. Then do a complete review of each and post it in this forum. Then post them in the classified section for half of what you paid for them.
Although that may work for some that's at least not my intent going into it anyway. Yes, I have purchased some things and for various reasons sold them later but overall I find that if I choose right in the beginning then I won't spend as much in the long run. Funny but if I spend less on mistakes then I can spend more on those things that work best for me.

·
Banned
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The Springfield TRP is all you need. Beyond that your return on investment is greatly reduced and you are just paying for the name.
Thanks for sharing that top secret information.

Kind of amazing that semi custom makers like Ed Brown, Nighthawk, and Wilson Combat manage to even survive.

Now if only RIA were all we needed we all could save even more money.

·
Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!
7,829 Posts

Lol!

Interesting but they do appear to be a bit new to the game and that would concern me. Not that they couldn't do a good job just that I would have more concerns with a new business where an established business would provide me with more comfort as to what they have done in the past and even more so what I could expect if I should have an issue later on.

Besides are they known for anything in particular besides just making another 1911?
Study up, Pistol Dynamics is a custom shop that has been arounds for years and only builds one off customs. Their claims to fame are the skills of owner/gunsmith, his horrible communication skills, and the incredible length of time it takes him to build a gun.

Maybe you should check the websites of the various "semi-custom" 1911 manufacturers, list the models that appeal to you, read up on them, and then ask for opinions from folks that own them. You'll get better, more specific answers than asking such a broad question about higher end 1911 manufacturers, because you really can't go wrong with any of them if you can afford the price of admission.

·
Registered
7,185 Posts
Thanks for sharing that top secret information.

Kind of amazing that semi custom makers like Ed Brown, Nighthawk, and Wilson Combat manage to even survive.

Now if only RIA were all we needed we all could save even more money.
It’s. It too secret. Every one already knows that. It has a durable finish, SS or black, checkering , good sights, nice trigger, beavertail grip safety the list goes on. What else do you need?

You can even get a railed version if you need that.

·
Banned
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Lol!

Study up, Pistol Dynamics is a custom shop that has been arounds for years and only builds one off customs. Their claims to fame are the skills of owner/gunsmith, his horrible communication skills, and the incredible length of time it takes him to build a gun.

Maybe you should check the websites of the various "semi-custom" 1911 manufacturers, list the models that appeal to you, read up on them, and then ask for opinions from folks that own them. You'll get better, more specific answers than asking such a broad question about higher end 1911 manufacturers, because you really can't go wrong with any of them if you can afford the price of admission.
Your right I'm still relatively a newb and possibly with more time and research I will gain some more knowledge.

However in a forum or community where there are probably those with much greater knowledge and experience I thought I might be able to get some valuable feedback.

I guess we"ll just see...…...

·
1911 Pistol Smith
11,465 Posts
I'd almost agree with AZpoolguy except the last brand new TRP I had in my shop it seemed like they forgot how to fit a barrel on the production line side. The owner is pretty knowledgeable and can attest to this. Rounds wouldn't chamber or should I say couldn't might if been a fluke though. Oh I should probably also mention though that they surely would if fixed it but the client didn't have time to wait..

1 - 20 of 205 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.