close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Various Makers of 1911s

Discussion in 'Beginner's Corner' started by minderasr, Sep 5, 2011.

1. minderasr

minderasr Member

Aug 20, 2011
    Most people (those new to the 1911 platform) would recognize the well known manufacturers. For example Colt, Springfield, and Kimber, to name a few. But there are a lot of other manufacturers who make fine weapons. For a beginner this could be an issue. Not everyone can afford a custom 1911 (wish I could!), but would still like to own something that perhaps could be built upon in the future. With that said, how about creating a list of manufacturers to consider and another to avoid?

Just a thought.

:69:

2. Quack

Quack it's mmm, mmm good... Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    The top 2 guns that are used for base guns are Colt and Springfield. Chuck had mentioned that while neither are perfect, they areas that need attention are consistent. Also the the non-enhanced models are preferred.

3. bac1023

bac1023 1911 Collector Moderator

Aug 15, 2011
    Yep. Colt and Springfield are the norm.

4. jst1tym

jst1tym What No Delete Button? Supporting Addict

Aug 23, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2011
  5. minderasr

minderasr Member

Aug 20, 2011
    Generally speaking, concealed carry and/or all around. What I was thinking, someone walks into their LGS. They spot what looks like a nice 1911. But they don't recognize the name. Is it one to snap up as a bargain, or one to avoid like the plague? I thought some sort of list might be nice.

6. GeorgiaRedfish

GeorgiaRedfish Neighborhood kitty snuff yard

Aug 19, 2011
    Taurus and Para

7. Jbeck1911

Jbeck1911 Member

Aug 31, 2011
    Well as an Avid shooter and dealing guns for a couple of yrs now i gotta say the Taurus PT1911's are good shooters and come with alot of extras. everyone i shot as been great. also the base line Rock Islands and good starters. Hell i have a SA GI and got dad a Rock island for Xmas and they are alot alike. shoot the same act the same and atleast $100-$200 cheaper!

8. knedrgr

knedrgr Low capacity, low tech...

Aug 15, 2011
    I'm sure they will beg the differ. :rofl2:

9. knedrgr

Aug 15, 2011
    There are two things in this thread.

If you want to know which brands are prefer by top smith for a base build, then; Springfield and Colts.

If you want a list of manufactures that are great production 1911s, then here are some:

ATI
    Citadel
    Colt
    Dan Wesson
    Magnum Research
    Rock Island Armory
    Ruger
    Sig Sauer
    Smith and Wesson
    Springfield Armory
    STI

10. Jbeck1911

Jbeck1911 Member

Aug 31, 2011
    you mean beg to differ? well thats my personal opinion from exp and selling many of 1911's and also feed back from customers... i know SA are built better but base line RI and SA GI are very similair in profermance

11. knedrgr

Aug 15, 2011
    read what I had quoted in bold...

12. Quack

Quack it's mmm, mmm good... Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    The OP's question was something that could be built upon in the future, so with most of us junkies, we take it as a custom build.
    This is where Springfield and Colt would be the choice.

you don't see many RIA's or Taurus's built into custom guns and i'm not sure you'll find many (if any) top smith's that would touch them.

13. minderasr

minderasr Member

Aug 20, 2011
    Forgive my conflicting statements here. My noobness is showing.

:oops:

14. Jbeck1911

Jbeck1911 Member

Aug 31, 2011
    well maybe no one of your top smith's but what some people dont taKe into account here is not everyone is rich, and ive seen plenty of SA GI and Rock islands turned into fine custom guns. take awhile but alil done here alil done there and Kazam you have a cheap but custom gun. that will be well built. and no ive haven not seen a PT1911 taurus turned custom yet, it already has alot of what common ppl look for... maybe just alil tuning

15. Sir Guy

Sir Guy Sharpening Ockham's Razor Supporting Addict

Aug 20, 2011
    One of the principal reasons high-end custom pistolsmiths prefer Colts and Springfields as base guns is that they're generally cut to spec and are made from good materials. A gunsmith would have to spend more time re-shaping critical fit areas on the lower-end guns. If it's a "kit gun" that's basically just a menu of assembled parts, that's one thing. For the true high-end artisans who weld and re-cut the guns to make them stellar, it's better to start with something that's closer to the goal to begin with. :thumb:

Andy

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted