Vega Combat Match stainless

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by Flight Medic, Nov 18, 2018.

1. Flight Medic

Flight Medic Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2018
    [​IMG]

Found this locally. Seller is asking $650...claims its made in USA and is "rare" and collectible because of historical value. I've never heard of "Vega" before, but it looked to be in pretty good condition from the photos he sent. Said the frame rails were "peened down at some point in the pistols life to create a tighter slide to frame fit" (??)

I really like rare and unusual items...but I don't want to overpay for a cheap, Philippine-import 1911. Is it worth what he's asking...or is this just a $400 Norinco-like import pistol?

2. WC145

WC145 Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!

Jan 1, 2013

3. dakota1911

dakota1911 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    I would probably buy it for that. Just for the history and to detail strip it and look at the guts. Early 1911 history in SS.

4. Flight Medic

Aug 5, 2018
    Well...was. Google and I had a fight. Its a long story, but we're not really communicating right now. Hoping I could get info/advice from my acquaintances here.

5. Flight Medic

Aug 5, 2018
    More pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've never purchased a firearm for historic value...all my guns are shooters. I don't know what to look for, but just want to make sure I'm not buying something that could end up a paperweight after the first range visit because its made of junk.

6. Old Sea Dragon

Old Sea Dragon Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2018
    Per the web they were a California company and only produced a couple thousand.

7. dakota1911

dakota1911 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    I have a shooty collection and shoot everything I have. If I got that I would lube it with a lube for SS. I think those did have a history of galling. In later years manufacturers found if one used different SS alloys for the frame and slide then one could avoid galling.

In the old days I used to use a lube called TRI-FLON on SS pistols. It had Teflon in it. I got an AMT Hardballer in 1984 (new for $199 1984 dollars). I used TRI-FLON on it in the old days and did not have any problems. These days when I do rarely shoot it I use a CLP for SS and still no problems.

[​IMG]

Old Sea Dragon likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted