1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Dremel jockey
3,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be headed out tomorrow to burn a LOT of 45acp through my latest
5" build.

I'll also be bringing one of my brand new, steel 55 gallon drums.
I enjoy creating a raging inferno in a drum in my backyard.
Partly to get rid of the space eating cardboard boxes that take up valuable space in my shop, partly cause who doesn't love a nice outdoor fire this time of year.

With old boxes, newspapers, lawn clippings, tree trimmings, expired tax documents and tracer projo culls I have gotten the drum actually glowing red. When most of the barrel glows, the heat comfortably irradiates a good 10 ft radius.

Well, my previous barrel rusted through. So I found a couple new ones.
Anyways I have tried various tools to ventilate previous barrels.

I've tried drilling, poking with various instruments of destruction and striking with a sharpened axe. I settled on the oxy/acetelyne cutting torch. I have small tanks and this uses a fair amount of gas. Also the drums previously held engine oil so the process would be stinky and smoky at a minimum.

I'll bring one with me tomorrow and try various munitions.
Ideal would be penetration of one wall only. Exit holes are jagged and sharp!

I don't think a 22lr from a handgun will penetrate. And if it did not, might pose a ricochet hazard. 556 will zip right on through both sides and leave nasty exits.

I dunno about 9mm or 45 or some 556 RRLP (Reduced ricochet, low penetration).

Make some guesses! I'll report back with pics of results.

·
A meat popsicle I am
710 Posts
5" build.

Partly to get rid of the space eating cardboard boxes that take up valuable space in my shop, partly cause who doesn't love a nice outdoor fire this time of year.

With old boxes, newspapers, lawn clippings, tree trimmings, expired tax documents and tracer projo culls I have gotten the drum actually glowing red. When most of the barrel glows, the heat comfortably irradiates a good 10 ft radius.

I've tried drilling, poking with various instruments of destruction and striking with a sharpened axe. I settled on the oxy/acetelyne cutting torch. I have small tanks and this uses a fair amount of gas. Also the drums previously held engine oil so the process would be stinky and smoky at a minimum.

I don't think a 22lr from a handgun will penetrate. And if it did not, might pose a ricochet hazard. 556 will zip right on through both sides and leave nasty exits.

Looking forward to the report and pics!

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
I have used the pointed end of a pair of fencing pliers with fair success punching vent holes in barrels.

·
Sir Kip Esquire
11,471 Posts
Go with .45
Might actually be a good job for those RIP deals....not the black-outs for pics tho!

·
Dremel jockey
3,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Marshmellows are done using my fire pit with unseasoned shaggy bark Juniper!
Bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts are also done using the fire pit, but with large chunk Mesquite charcoal........NOT briquettes, true charcoal.

·
الواحد
806 Posts
I have shot many off 55 gal drum, plastic and metal.

115gr 9mm impacting off centerline will penetrate and then spin around and around the inside of the barrel sometimes.

With standard 40s&w or 45acp hp I don’t believe will penetrate both sides. I’ve had trouble getting either caliber go through a windshield with any energy on the other side.

·
Dremel jockey
3,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've shot many 55 gal drums as well.
But they were older and rusty. Less than 50% of original strength I'd guess.

Years ago a good bud shot a middle of the road 44 mag at an empty beer keg.
I was standing directly to his side at maybe 10 yds.
I strongly suspected it would not penetrate so I warned of a bounce back and was ready for Freddy.

Sure enough that 240gr lead slug came directly back.
I could see it coming and right for my face!!!!
I had time to twitch my head, missed my ear by maybe 4".

Was pretty low velocity at that point, but still something I did not need to feel, lol!

·
Womb? Weary? He rests. He has travelled.
4,980 Posts
The pointy end of a pick; that’s what I used in the old days.

·
Student of the Columbian Exchange
7,861 Posts
I don't have a non-war story to match that one but I will say part of my misspent youth was devoted to hauling 55 gallon barrels, television sets, clothing washers and dryers, highway traffic cones, you name it, out of the boonies cause folks practicing their marksmanship and somehow didn't start the countryside afire but forgot to remove their "targets".

·
ex Rent-a-Engineer
282 Posts
I've always shot about a dozen holes thru the bottom of my 55g burn barrels with a 22LR. That mild steel is an easy task for a 22.

·
It is a dry heat, right...
3,750 Posts
Carbide hole saws and an electric drill... manual labor.
Or fill it up about half way with lumber before you start blasting away with your 45acp... fun labor.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
5" build.

I always ventilate my burn barrels with a pistol. .45acp 230 gr ball at 5 or 6 feet goes through both sides but I don’t mind the jagged exit holes.

·
Avatar is back to my favorite things!
9,776 Posts
We always used a 22lr to aerate our 55gal drums as a kid. We loved dad getting new barrels because that was our job.

·
Dremel jockey
3,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Tough job but someone had to do it!

Reactions: Babboonbobo

·
Registered
5,942 Posts
If you're set on the torch method, be careful and fill it with CO². I always do when I cut the lid out of a barrel or weld up a tank that has been previously filled with something that might go boom. Seen enough barrels and square tanks get rounded to do otherwise. Even something as benign as hyd fluid can make a loud noise and sphere out a rectangular tank pretty easily when a torch or a MIG welder is applied to it. JME.

·
Dremel jockey
3,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks FW, I am aware.
I paid extra to have the seller cut off the tops.
Super heated, contained hydrocarbons can provide
exciting results.

·
1911 Pistol Smith
9,747 Posts
Hollow point 9mm and you'll be gtg.. I believe these would penetrate than come to a halt at the opposite wall.. Looking forward to the report back..

Oh and have fun... ;)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts