Vertical Impact Surface~! Can I get some Input Please.

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by Integrity Arms, Oct 6, 2018.

1. Integrity Arms

Integrity Arms 1911 Pistol Smith

Mar 20, 2017
    Where should I begin on this. Link, Barrel fit, stated that only 200 rounds had been fired, and I tested with only one magazine... A little direction as to where to begin would be greatly appreciated. It shows no wear on the lower barrel legs, but a significant amount of scuffing on upper lugs of the barrel. The Vis cut is very very shallow. AJ Valor 001.JPG AJ Valor 002.JPG

xerts1191 likes this.
  2. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
    http://dave2.freeshell.org/1911/vis4/vis4.htm

Found this article reading it now. Wondering if there isn't something to the slight chamfer cut at the top of the bowtie on the vertical impact surface. This appears to be the only place where the barrel is hitting significantly..

3. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Consider my signature line before replying . . . .

Dec 4, 2014
  4. Greg Derr

Greg Derr Custom Pistolsmith Supporting Addict Sponsor

Oct 3, 2011
    Steve, some barrels have a very large radius on the lower lugs where it transitions to the barrel. This can be a good thing, but is not required if the barrel is fit properly. You will see on some guns like Remington a bevel on the barrel bed where it transitions to VIS, I think this is to account for the barrel radius on a production gun. This look like the radius us crashing into that area of the barrel bed.

Chris O, FWoo45 and Steve Owens like this.
  5. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    Too late to send that back to Wesson?

Steve Owens likes this.
  6. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
    Thanks Greg, I was just reading a post from Bob Rodgers talking about that very thing. You can see the radius where the lugs meet the barrel, and can see the marks in the lugs from the vis cut, so if I chamfer the top of the barrel bed back so.e it should engage without maring that surface any further correct?

7. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
    Gun is like 3rd hand now.So doubtful they'd warranty it.

8. mikemac

mikemac Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Apr 22, 2017
    You are going to chamfer the frame for clearance, right. Maybe a dumb question.?

Steve Owens likes this.
  9. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
    The barrel bed yes. And check the vis cut for proper depth, its near non existent.

10. Bender

Aug 15, 2011
    Just a thought, this should have been discovered before any work began.

11. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
    Had no real reason to expect issues out of a 2017 gun with 200 rounds fired. I found it, would think thats the main thing, and not a real difficult fix, and not all that uncommon it seems. The work would if been done anyway considering what the gun is being purposed for. I test fired before work began and didnt notice anythi,g out of the norm as its provs ly done at the point its at,

12. Bender

Aug 15, 2011
    Inspect
    Document
    Service

13. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
    You are Correct yes sir, thanks for that.. seriously still learning.. Talk to others about this very thing often. I do need to go over with a fine tooth comb first. Especially since I am realizing that there is no gun immune to veing sickly. Even top notch manufacturers make mistakes. And the inconsistencies are astounding sometimes.

14. mikemac

mikemac Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Apr 22, 2017
    Also when they change cutters. (end mills) ect. They try to get the best out of their tooling from the CNC machines. Cost effective.

Steve Owens likes this.
  15. Bender

Aug 15, 2011
    And quality control sucks ballz

Steve Owens likes this.
  16. pistolwretch

pistolwretch Dremel jockey Supporting Addict

Aug 26, 2011
    Steve,
    Are you using correct terminology? VIS or do you mean the horizontal barrel bed?
    When out of battery how much clearance is there between the top of the barrel and the roof of the slide? You'll be wanting a minimum of .010", with .015" being desirable.

17. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
    Both areas, the top of the barrel bed is taking a beating, and the face of the VIS at the bow tie., and I did see a few small marking from the bottom of the barrel legs at the bottom of the vis cut, the cut is very faint, and the bow tie area created by that initial cut is nearly mashed down to the vis cut. There is .0125 clearance on the top of the barrel to the roof of the slide.

18. pistolwretch

pistolwretch Dremel jockey Supporting Addict

Aug 26, 2011
    OK. No slide, just barrel, frame and slide stop.
    Push the barrel to the rear.
    Is there clearance between barrel and barrel bed?

19. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
    Yes there is a fair amount of clearance.

20. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
    I was just about to delve into timing tests by Shueman I started earlier and was at one point thinking wrong barrel link?

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted