1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
1911 Pistol Smith
9,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where should I begin on this. Link, Barrel fit, stated that only 200 rounds had been fired, and I tested with only one magazine... A little direction as to where to begin would be greatly appreciated. It shows no wear on the lower barrel legs, but a significant amount of scuffing on upper lugs of the barrel. The Vis cut is very very shallow.
AJ Valor 001.JPG
AJ Valor 002.JPG

·
Consider my signature line before replying . . . .
14,799 Posts
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

·
Custom Pistolsmith
729 Posts
Steve, some barrels have a very large radius on the lower lugs where it transitions to the barrel. This can be a good thing, but is not required if the barrel is fit properly. You will see on some guns like Remington a bevel on the barrel bed where it transitions to VIS, I think this is to account for the barrel radius on a production gun. This look like the radius us crashing into that area of the barrel bed.

·
1911 Pistol Smith
9,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Steve, some barrels have a very large radius on the lower lugs where it transitions to the barrel. This can be a good thing, but is not required if the barrel is fit properly. You will see on some guns like Remington a bevel on the barrel bed where it transitions to VIS, I think this is to account for the barrel radius on a production gun. This look like the radius us crashing into that area of the barrel bed.
Thanks Greg, I was just reading a post from Bob Rodgers talking about that very thing. You can see the radius where the lugs meet the barrel, and can see the marks in the lugs from the vis cut, so if I chamfer the top of the barrel bed back so.e it should engage without maring that surface any further correct?

·
1911 Pistol Smith
9,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Had no real reason to expect issues out of a 2017 gun with 200 rounds fired. I found it, would think thats the main thing, and not a real difficult fix, and not all that uncommon it seems. The work would if been done anyway considering what the gun is being purposed for. I test fired before work began and didnt notice anythi,g out of the norm as its provs ly done at the point its at,

·
1911 Pistol Smith
9,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You are Correct yes sir, thanks for that.. seriously still learning.. Talk to others about this very thing often. I do need to go over with a fine tooth comb first. Especially since I am realizing that there is no gun immune to veing sickly. Even top notch manufacturers make mistakes. And the inconsistencies are astounding sometimes.

·
Premium Member
26,818 Posts
You are Correct yes sir, thanks for that.. seriously still learning.. Talk to others about this very thing often. I do need to go over with a fine tooth comb first. Especially since I am realizing that there is no gun immune to veing sickly. Even top notch manufacturers make mistakes. And the inconsistencies are astounding sometimes.
And quality control sucks ballz

·
Dremel jockey
4,100 Posts
Steve,
Are you using correct terminology? VIS or do you mean the horizontal barrel bed?
When out of battery how much clearance is there between the top of the barrel and the roof of the slide? You'll be wanting a minimum of .010", with .015" being desirable.

·
1911 Pistol Smith
9,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Steve,
Are you using correct terminology? VIS or do you mean the horizontal barrel bed?
When out of battery how much clearance is there between the top of the barrel and the roof of the slide? You'll be wanting a minimum of .010", with .015" being desirable.
Both areas, the top of the barrel bed is taking a beating, and the face of the VIS at the bow tie., and I did see a few small marking from the bottom of the barrel legs at the bottom of the vis cut, the cut is very faint, and the bow tie area created by that initial cut is nearly mashed down to the vis cut. There is .0125 clearance on the top of the barrel to the roof of the slide.

·
Dremel jockey
4,100 Posts
OK. No slide, just barrel, frame and slide stop.
Push the barrel to the rear.
Is there clearance between barrel and barrel bed?

·
1911 Pistol Smith
9,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I was just about to delve into timing tests by Shueman I started earlier and was at one point thinking wrong barrel link?

1 - 20 of 53 Posts