Vietnam, 1968

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Philip A., Oct 28, 2018.

1. Philip A.

Philip A. Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2017
    An interesting description, by a very articulate participant.

2. Mike Meints

Mike Meints Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2017

3. Bro. Pappaw

Bro. Pappaw Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2016
  4. xerts1191

xerts1191 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2017
    Thanks for posting, now I find myself wanting to hear more of his story. Off to You Tube I go.

5. Oldgunner

Oldgunner Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2018
    It is very sobering and I understand exactly where this guy is coming from. My brother-in-law (my academy roommate) did two tours in Nam as a Marine officer and I was there in '67, '68, and '69. It became very obvious that we weren't going to be allowed to win that war due to pure politics and stupidity. If you want to read a realistic assessment of how our politicians failed to understand the situation, made bad decisions, and generally lied to the American people, I'd recommend reading "The Lost Mandate of Heaven: The American Betrayal of Ngo Dinh Diem, President of Vietnam". It was written by a Canadian and therefore discredited by many of our news media. However, it is a very thoroughly researched book. I personally agree with quite a bit of the author's assessments. Despite his reputation, Walter Cronkite was one of our worst enemies in the press.

xerts1191, BR549er and Mike Meints like this.
  6. BR549er

BR549er Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2018
    Ho Chi Min was about to pack up and leave, then the flower children betrayed Diem over badfeelz and leftist monks. Diem, despite his shortcomings, was respected and feared; the required traits to fight the Communists.

Most definitely read the book Oldgunner recommends!

xerts1191 likes this.
  7. Oldgunner

Mar 30, 2018
    I should note that this video has to be more than forty years old or so. If the guy who made it was there in '68, he has to be close to my age now which is 75.

8. Oldgunner

Mar 30, 2018
    I believe that BR549er has the picture -as do many of us who were there.

Mike Meints and xerts1191 like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted