Vigil 5" or Commander

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by Hunt5877, Mar 25, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Hunt5877

Hunt5877 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jan 27, 2019
    So I'm a big fan of duty sized 9mm (92A1, G17, P09) but I do like commander sized 1911's so anybody have any thoughts or preference for one of the other in 9mm? Looking hard at a Vigil (1835) locally for just over $1200...fair price for NIB? Something else I should consider? have a Vbob in 45 and love it.

2. gaijin

gaijin Well-Known Member

May 18, 2015
    I have both. The Commander gets carried more than the 5” Vigil.

william adams and Hunt5877 like this.

3. Fred_G

Fred_G Known Agitator

Dec 29, 2015
    PMC... My current carry gun. Mine is .38 Superb, but I think they make it in the non Superb caliber. (Joking, love 9mm 1911's also)

Hunt5877 likes this.
  4. JM44

JM44 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Feb 2, 2018
    In 9 both will be soft shooting so likely only depends on your preference. That twogunjay fellow has the 9 FS suppressor ready one on GB for $1075 so all in with shipping and FFL it’s probably $1,175. MSRP on the suppressor ready models is $100 more than standard. I would be all over that one but my state thinks threaded barrels are scary

Hunt5877 likes this.
  5. Hunt5877

Jan 27, 2019
    I let my "plastics" take care of my suppressed work, I actually pick up the front sight faster but just think they l IMG_20190325_1938535.jpg ook a bit out of place on a 1911. Great state of Texas has no such "scary" restrictions on threaded barrels yet :)

6. GIJoke

GIJoke A meat popsicle I am

Aug 28, 2018
    Thoughts = buy both now and cry once - Buy one and want the other while kicking yourself in the rear...experience here...my butt and foot are wore out

cgff and razorbacker like this.
  7. Hunt5877

Jan 27, 2019
    So just so I explain this right to my Wife if I am considering which of the 2 to buy I should purchase both correct? It's ultimately fiscally responsible and is maximizing my time better which could be researching other new acquisitions...You guys are the best, I can't wait for her to meet all you guys she's gonna love you I'm certain!

razorbacker, cgff, DMiller and 2 others like this.
  8. Babboonbobo

Babboonbobo Avatar is back to my favorite things!

Nov 18, 2014
    That’s the best response to some suggestions I’ve ever heard!

If she strangled you and you get out alive and are still able to acquire “one” go commando!!

DMiller and GIJoke like this.
  9. Babboonbobo

Babboonbobo Avatar is back to my favorite things!

Nov 18, 2014
    Stupid phone!!! I meant commander;)

GIJoke likes this.
  10. GIJoke

Aug 28, 2018
    If they’re both in 9mm you can explain how you are looking for a perfect fit for her and you’ll be resigned to take the second one...and you’ll keep both tuned up by trips to the range and carry each one to guarantee....reliability...?

Babboonbobo likes this.
  11. GIJoke

Aug 28, 2018
    And + 1 on the Commander :spam:

12. Hunt5877

Jan 27, 2019
    Right, commander because it hides better, but realistically the 5" might be more accurate to protect her with...both, I should, what could go wrong right? It's also fair to mention my thoughts were only of her when researching my decision. She's gonna be thrilled, you need another safe why?

GIJoke likes this.
  13. Hunt5877

Jan 27, 2019
    maybe a "auto correct" or may be more correct with commando if she throws me out on my ass with no clothes on my back! commando right? Damn now I have 3 options...you guys aren't helping

Babboonbobo likes this.
  14. JM44

JM44 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Feb 2, 2018
    Your deflection game is strong but if you hang out here long enough that will be quickly broken down along with all willpower and you will wake up shaking thinking about your next 1911...on a serious note either one will do you well. I really like LW 9s in the commander size but have been on a full size kick lately. If you are used to the full size then you may find the government points more naturally for you. Good luck on your decision!

razorbacker and Fred_G like this.
  15. Chief1297

Chief1297 Active Member

Feb 10, 2018
    Just tell her that you will buy both if you want to and to get back in the kitchen!!!
    .(Then let me know how that works out for ya...LOL) DISCLAIMER: Following my advise in a forum may be hazardous to your health and marriage.

Hunt5877 likes this.
  16. switchback

switchback Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2014
    I recently picked up the vigil commander in 9mm. Great pistol, don't think you'd be disappointed

17. samuse

samuse Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2013
    5". Unless you carry OWB the Commander won't hide any better.

5" carries better for me as the longer slide keeps the grip tucked in better and it's a lot easier on my sciatic nerve. 4" guns seem to poke right at it.

Hunt5877 likes this.
  18. Hunt5877

Jan 27, 2019
    This right up there with little feet so they can stand closer to the sink....the disclaimer is well warranted LOL!

Chief1297 likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted