Visa required for U.S. citizens visiting Europe

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dallas Knight, Mar 16, 2019.

1. Dallas Knight

Dallas Knight Max Otto von Stierlitz

Jun 22, 2015
  2. Babboonbobo

Babboonbobo Avatar is back to my favorite things!

Nov 18, 2014
    Will they accept Mastercard?:o.o:

Yeah and our immigration policies are too tough!!:mad: We need to tighten this **** up

Don_P, Fred_G, tac45 and 7 others like this.

3. Joni Lynn

Joni Lynn Professional Pest, NRA Patron member

Dec 21, 2014
    I've been wanting to go to Italy again. Given how much I dislike flying (in an airplane ;) ) this just makes it that much easier for me to do all my traveling here in the US.

That being said, I still want to spend some time on the Amalfi coast.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
  4. wrmiller

wrmiller The Tinker

Oct 29, 2016
    No biggie. Nothing interests me over there. And I've done enough travel around the far east years back such that I really don't want to leave the US anyway. Besides, there's a lot of things here that I've not seen/visited. :)

5. Babboonbobo

Babboonbobo Avatar is back to my favorite things!

Nov 18, 2014
    That’s a good way to think about it. There is soooo much to do in this country you really don’t need to leave it to do most things in life:)

Otherside and wrmiller like this.
  6. pscipio03

pscipio03 Fun O' Meter on FULL

Mar 11, 2013
    Meh, it's an $8 cost for 3 years. If that is what keeps you from traveling to some of the oldest cultures in the world, I'd say you might want to rethink some priorities.

Raven312 and gun_fan111 like this.
  7. pscipio03

pscipio03 Fun O' Meter on FULL

Mar 11, 2013
    Don’t see anywhere where I called you out specifically.

wrmiller and Harleyvato like this.
  8. InstiGator

InstiGator Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2019
    I don't see this working as an excuse not to visit the in-laws, so I guess the credit card comes out a little earlier before the next trip.

Dallas Knight likes this.
  9. 41 Charlie

41 Charlie Get off my lawn...

Feb 4, 2014
    “There’s no place like home.” “There’s no place like home.”

tac45 and Mini Me like this.
  10. FaaWrenchBender

FaaWrenchBender Active Member

Jan 22, 2015
    Don’t believe I left anything over there.....

wrmiller, Fred_G and DukeSoprano like this.
  11. Scaramouche

Scaramouche Student of the Columbian Exchange Supporting Addict

Sep 15, 2015
    I guess I've been on the planet to long, or I'm a communist, back in the olden days you needed a visa for a number of European countries, I've actively encouraged my children to visit other countries, if for no other reason to understand what an awesome country the United States is.

limbkiller likes this.
  12. tac45

tac45 What me worry ? Supporting Addict

Mar 4, 2012
    Don’t we require them to have a visa to visit here ?
    With AOC, Rasida Talib And Ohmar voted into congress,can you blame them for being careful who they let in to their countries.
    I guess they feel US citizens are capable of anything if those three
    We’re elected to A position of power.

Busa Dave likes this.
  13. wrmiller

wrmiller The Tinker

Oct 29, 2016
    Apologies. Apparently I have more difficulty understanding context of what I'm reading that late at night and took offense where none was intended. I'll work on that. :)

14. El Perdido

El Perdido Fictional Western Sage

Oct 3, 2011
    In my opinion, any visitor from any foreign country should be required to apply for and receive a Visa to visit the United States of America.

Jim PHL likes this.
  15. Dallas Knight

Dallas Knight Max Otto von Stierlitz

Jun 22, 2015
    We [U.S.] do have Visa requirements; not unlike many European countries. Historically, in recent years (since at least the 1960s/70s), most Western European countries have afforded U.S. citizens a very simplified Visa experience. It took the form of a stamp placed quickly on a back page of your U.S. passport at their passport control office (@ the point of entry). Traditionally there were no separate forms to fill out or fees to be paid. This expedited courtesy was not extended to citizens of all countries - but if you held a “U.S.” passport, you were automatically considered ‘good to go’ - their normal bureaucracy didn’t apply to Americans.

I believe the author of this article has the intention of only pointing out, this historical courtesy is about to change for countries of Western Europe including those he mentions (Germany, France, Italy, Spain, Sweden & 21 other European states). American citizens will now (as of January 2021) have to go online, fill out a forum, answer a few questions, pay a fee and retain a copy of the email response they receive. While this effort may be considered minimal and certainly the cost is negligible (about $8, U.S.), it nevertheless represents an increase in bureaucracy that heretofore wasn’t required of visiting Americans. I believe that’s the point he was trying to make in his article.

16. InstiGator

InstiGator Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2019
    Nope. My German in-laws visit us without a Visa. Based on a quick Google search, the only European countries requiring a Visa to visit the US are Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Poland and Romania.

Given the influx of refugees into Europe I think requiring a Visa for US citizens is a bit like closing the back door to the barn while the horses are pouring out the front door, but then my opinion and a dollar will get you a Coke at McDonald's if you hurry and catch it on sale.

tac45, Dallas Knight and wrmiller like this.
  17. FarmD0G

FarmD0G Member

Mar 7, 2019
    Surprise, another misleading media headline. It's not ONLY U.S. citizens, it also applies to everyone else. Secondly, it's not a visa, it's called the ETIAS, a system resembling the U.S. TSA pre-check requirements.
    It's just another headline intended to incite kneejerk reactions from Americans who don't fact check their news sources.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

18. tac45

tac45 What me worry ? Supporting Addict

Mar 4, 2012
    Thanks guys. !

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted