Visit to Alchemy/Cabot Yesterday

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by Integrity Arms, Nov 9, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Integrity Arms

Integrity Arms 1911 Pistol Smith

Mar 20, 2017
    Well I made it to Alchemy Custom Weaponry yesterday for a scheduled tour and talk with Rob, what a great guy.. No rush, no push to look and leave, was very friendly and personable with a ton of experience, knowledge, and professionalism.. But, the single most thing that impressed me most was his dedication to create the best firearm for the customer as he could.

The above statement does just about say it all. But, Robs commitment to quality, and function of a firearm is as good as it gets.. A person who takes genuine pride and personal satisfaction in building the best gun possible.. The experience he has over the years working for other top makers in the industry, takes a second seat to his personal knowledge of the inner workings and over all functionality of a 1911 handgun. Which we all know is much more important then what the gun looks like. But, not only are the guns functionally as close to perfection as you could ask for they also aren't to hard on the eye.

I say eye, because the day prior I was fitting some trigger parts in a Ruger 10/22 and I ended up with a piece of a gritted buff wheel off a dremel embedded in my cornea, so when I got there my vision was about 50% and I am sure Robs first look at me brought about the thought of how good was that $hit he smoked on the way here lmao... Between the scratched cornea and my dry eye problem both eyes looked like someone who was having the life squeezed out of them lol..

Anyway I seen tons off impressive things, asked quite a few questions, and walked away very impressed. Thanks to Rob, @AlchemyCustomWeaponry for making me feel welcome, not looking down on my menial knowledge of the platform and taking so much time to make my day well worth the trip..

When I left I went our for a mediocre meal with my lovely wife, talked about the day, and headed off to take care of a request from her to stop and pick up a few grocery items. I then proceeded to lock myself out of my truck and had to call a locksmith to get me back in my truck. So, in all I had the pleasure of meeting two Smiths yesterday. The one of which I could of did without, the other that I am glad and honored to have met and shared some quality 1911 discussion time with.

In what seemed to be a short period of time which was actually 3 hours, I feel like I got some confirmation that I am at least headed in the right direction in my approach to what are some of the more important aspects of the platform. I also hope that I am able to uphold that commitment to excellence I seen at my visit to the facility..

As well it was an inspiration to see the excitement in Robs face as well as hear it in his voice that he has been given the opportunity to fulfill his vision on a whole new level.. And to fulfill a dream that started as far back as a bus ride home from school in Geneso, Illinois Thanks again Rob, for the time you took out of your busy schedule to meet with me.

I know this is long, but a few words would not do justice to the time spent yesterday with one of the best Gunsmiths in the industry.

Respectfully,
    Steve Owens

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
    Journeyman1234, Kip, Jimhoag and 20 others like this.
  2. WC145

WC145 Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2013
    Sounds like a great visit. Did you order a new, personalized Alchemy piece while you were there?

ImperialBlade and Steve Owens like this.

3. azguy1911

azguy1911 Screw it, I'm buying more 1911's

Oct 22, 2015
    You are an asset to this great forum Steve, feel (see) better soon ;)

4. Whiskey Sour

Whiskey Sour Blossoming Addict

Apr 13, 2017
    Sounds like a great trip!

:pics:

GoetzTalon and Steve Owens like this.
  5. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
    I would of loved to, unfortunately the funds for such a purchase escape me at this point.

wcanterbury and ImperialBlade like this.
  6. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
    Thank you sir I very much appreciate this kind comment. I think you are a very big asset as well. Thanks again.

ImperialBlade likes this.
  7. livinthelife

livinthelife Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2015
    What can I say I feel like a big asshat too sometimes ...oh.... asset ! :o.o:;)

Thanks for taking the time to write about your trip. These inspire me to get my planning together for another trip.

jmr986, FWoo45 and Steve Owens like this.
  8. notshawn54

notshawn54 Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2016
    Yeah Rob is a good dude. I got to meet him in ACW’s previous life. Just went to pick up a Kimber Eclipse (was previously mine) my buddy had a few things done to. Ambi safety (he shoots with the wrong hand), and gold bead. I believe Rob threw in a trigger job and refinish of the grip safety on his dime. We were there for a little over 2 hrs. Definitely an entertaining and informative visit.

FWoo45, wcanterbury and Steve Owens like this.
  9. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
    He told me many times he will throw in a few things that need done, because they just need done. I plan on doing the same. But, obviously too many freebies can end you up in the welfare line lol.. But, sometimes when you find issues you just can't leave it be if you pride yourself in what goes out of your own hands back into someone else's.. Whether it's asked for, paid for, implied or not..

FWoo45 and GoetzTalon like this.
  10. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    Hey, are you to the point yet where you can install Stan Chen magwells and do front strap checkering?

Steve Owens likes this.
  11. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
    Magwell yes, checkering I just finished working the bugs out of the fixture, but need a different tooling option. I should be there in another 2-3 weeks hopefully. Had a practice run, but tooling and a z axis limit prevented me from finishing it, but it did work out the bugs in the fixture, I was able to true the front strap and start the horizontal checkering. So, in short not quite yet with the checkering. Magwell not a problem

FWoo45 and PewPewPtwang like this.
  12. tac45

tac45 What me worry ? Supporting Addict

Mar 4, 2012
    Did you make an extra truck key to keep in your wallet ?

cghelton, boatdoc, Kip and 3 others like this.
  13. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
    I don't actually carry a wallet and I strayed from my normal habits in that my keys are nearly always on my belt loop and cash in my rear right pocket. For some reason I had laid my cash on the seat and when I got to the register I had to go back out for the cash. I opened the door, laid the keys on the seat and lifted up a bag to get the cash, left the keys on the seat and locked the door lol Like I always do. But, failed to put the keys back on my belt loop. I do plain on a spare key which I should of did when I left lol. Not sure where I'd keep it as I have lost those key holders in the past, But I have a lid on my truck bed, could put it in there. ;)

14. dash

dash Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2016
    Thanks Steve, great site visit! I’d love to do the same only I’m afraid I’d put an order in before leaving.

15. JNW

JNW Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017
    Steve,
    Glad you had a great visit and hope your eye heals quickly. Being passionate about something is an important step in becoming fabulous at it.
    Now about that 10/22, next time just buy a Kidd trigger. They really are amazing - Tony Kidd is another one of those gifted, passionate gunmakers.
    Jeff

16. scottl

scottl Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2012
    http://www.hitchsafe.com/

17. tac45

tac45 What me worry ? Supporting Addict

Mar 4, 2012
    A5C9918A-D72C-46BF-B492-D55FFE43FC75.jpeg
    D2B0DE6A-7692-49FB-88D1-B67D2025D1BE.jpeg

18. tarosean

tarosean Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2013
    and No pictures??? TSK TSK TSK

Steve Owens likes this.
  19. FWoo45

FWoo45 Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2017
    As far as spare keys go, get one of those stick on velcro ones. Waaaayyy better than the magnetic type. I didn't lose a key with one throughout my teens and early 20's. Those poor trucks. That being said I haven't got one yet for my current truck so I should shut up. I would love to meet Rob someday and take a tour of the shop. What a great experience. Couldn't wish a better outing on a more deserving guy.

livinthelife and Steve Owens like this.
  20. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
    I only took one pic. lol Cabot  Bass.jpg

livinthelife and gun_fan111 like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted